Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

This is WRONG!

(38 Posts)
phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 08:55:10

Hello all,

I had an email from one of our mature students who is lodging with a couple locally while on a 1 year course.

Last week her hosts took in 2 family members from London, and have said there will be another 4 adults plus some children arriving this week! shock

Surely this is against all guidance?

There are restrictions in place regarding the amount of items that can be bought when shopping, so putting an additional 6 adults and some children in the house will mean extra shopping trips, increasing the chances of coming into contact with the virus?I

The local police have been stopping drivers in some places and asking the reason for their journey. A couple in a motorhome who had come from Birmingham were told to return there, and not to even think of staying in Devon.

This student has come from France, and told me that there police are stopping people, checking their paper and if they are more than 1k from home, they are given an on the spot fine of €135.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 31-Mar-20 14:01:16

I suppose until some people know relatives, friends and neighbours who become seriously ill or die they will not take it seriously.
A sombre way of reminding to keep social distance is to imagine the outline of a dead relative between you and the person you are interacting with!

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 14:24:10

Also the sale of firearms has increased there which is a worrying prospect.

Well its early days but beginning to look like muggings, stabbings and burglaries are going up here too... if I did live somewhere with easier gun ownership, now might be the time to start thinking about it..

SalsaQueen Tue 31-Mar-20 14:27:21

Yes, it IS against the rules. In effect, that person is running a boarding-house. Report them.

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 15:50:21

That would be difficult, SalsaQueen. If action was taken, they might put 2 and 2 together, blame the lodger (who has been there since November, NOT a new arrival) and chuck her out!

growstuff Tue 31-Mar-20 16:12:12

Apart from the student, are the others all family members?

I agree that it's against the spirit of the legislation, but I'm unsure about whether she's running a boarding house.

It's perfectly legitimate to have student lodgers and. if they're paying below a certain amount for board and lodging, you don't have to pay tax.

Having so many people under one roof is asking for trouble. Are they all self-isolating? To be honest, if they're all family and friends, I'm not sure that reporting them would achieve anything.

I'm more concerned about others who permanently live in bedsits and the homeless.

growstuff Tue 31-Mar-20 16:12:56

Why would they chuck the lodger out?

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 16:50:17

My understanding is that the ones due to arrive are family members.

growstuff I'm not saying they WOULD throw her out, but if they had a visit from the police or whoever, it would probably be pretty obvious who had contacted them, due to the location of the house.

growstuff Tue 31-Mar-20 18:28:57

I see what you mean. That's difficult :-(

I don't even know if the police could/would do anything. They'd probably give them all advice on self-isolating. I feel sorry for the lodger being exposed to all those people.

eazybee Tue 31-Mar-20 19:34:40

You know the situation now, so either you report them or you are complicit in allowing these six people to break the law and put local residents' lives at risk.
You don't have a choice.

welbeck Tue 31-Mar-20 20:21:16

could the student go home to france.
it is unlikely that there will be any more face to face teaching this academic year.
perhaps the course could continue by internet, unless it's practical.
i think the lodger should get out of there.
if that is their attitude to the rules, what else are they ignoring.
student is in a risky situation among them.

phoenix Tue 31-Mar-20 20:26:49

wellbeck is it actually possible to get to France?

The academic year doesn't apply, and although we are offering some online "lectures" the course is very definitely practical!

FarNorth Tue 31-Mar-20 20:40:07

The student must be terrified, rightly.