Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Neighbours Behaving Badly

(188 Posts)
NanaPlenty Mon 06-Apr-20 09:05:28

Yesterday during a day of beautiful sunshine I was astonished that my neighbours on both sides thought it ok to have all their family round! I thought this was one of the things we aren’t supposed to do during this time. What is wrong with people - I miss my family and grandchildren especially but we are doing our bit. Has anyone else experienced this?

Susan56 Mon 06-Apr-20 09:10:20

Yes,one of our neighbours have their daughter visiting every day,absolutely unbelievable.

Missfoodlove Mon 06-Apr-20 10:00:06

Yes my neighbour is out and about in her car with her son and his friend, her adult daughter has now come to live with her, she loads the car up with dogs and skateboards and away she goes.
She has even posted on Instagram pictures of where she has been.
A lot of this was behaviour was when she was off sick.
She is back at work now.
She is a NURSE!!!

Nico97 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:14:22

They should be made to read this....

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:16:23

My neighbours were partying on Friday and Sunday pm. I am fed up bringing in washing at 3 pm to accommodate their BBQ. When the parents are at work, one friend wheels his motorbike through the house!

I doubt if they realise I am friendly with their landlord but now is not quite the time to inform him of the error of their ways.

Teacheranne Mon 06-Apr-20 10:21:25

Same story here, not with my neighbours who are all very elderly, but on my weekly shopping trip, I stil see a lot of people out and about. I know some will be on their daily walk but the lady who served me in the local Coop said they are still getting people going in every day for a few things.

I reckon the Gvt will soon ban even exercise out of door as Italy and Spain have, they have a lot more people living in small apartments but still thought it necessary.

I get cross with people who are still going to family gatherings or driving miles for a walk - why am I following all the guidelines when their behaviour is extending the spread of the virus and increasing the lockdown period? It is tough, I live alone and retired a couple of years ago so it's very lonely but I understand why we have to do it.

I would give the police more powers!

Hetty58 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:33:11

It's galling to see them openly flouting the rules when I'm sticking rigidly to them. It's very hard to isolate.

People complain about them on here, but how many report to the local police?

I do - as it's my civic duty to protect others. Still, I'm criticised by some GNrs for doing so!

eazybee Mon 06-Apr-20 10:34:34

I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with a BBQ in someone's back garden, if it is only people living in the house. It isn't necessary to put washing out every day, particularly not on Sunday.

Jaycee5 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:51:27

The most common way for this to be transferred is between families.
The first case that made the US take it seriously was when 4 people from New Jersey died of it after attending a family gathering.
I don't understand this idea that it is ok if it is your family members, as if they are less likely to be carriers than someone you would avoid anywhere else.
There is not much you can do with stupidity.
They need to do something about people taking unnecessary bus journeys too. Bus drivers are losing their lives just so people can visit friends or go to the supermarket instead of their local shop.

Crazygran Mon 06-Apr-20 10:51:43

People seem to think the rules don’t apply to them !!!!!

SillyNanny321 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:53:17

If the virus ever leaves us alone we will have to find something else to complain about wont we Lol!!

CaroleAnne Mon 06-Apr-20 10:53:30

Dear Hetty
Not everyone here are anti reporting. Me for one. I absolutely agree that it is a civic duty of us all to keep Britain as C19 free as is possible.
Those who flout the rules are those who may get the virus and what's more give it to others. Very selfish.

sandwichgeneration Mon 06-Apr-20 10:53:36

Behaviour is worse than usual round here. Late night parties in back gardens, bonfires into the early hours of the morning so that those of us with breathing difficulties have to have all the windows shut. The council say that there is nothing they can do. It is very sad that some see this as an extended holiday.

Omaoma57 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:53:48

We were chatting on zoom with friends in Brussels.. they are fined 200€ If they are more than a kilometre from their home!

chris8888 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:55:20

My neighbours are sticking to the rules but that might be because we live in flats with no gardens. I think its sad when neighbours are policing each other.

icanhandthemback Mon 06-Apr-20 10:55:22

My son came round the other day with his family because he was dropping off food shopping for me. We took the opportunity to have a chat as a family but stood in the front garden at least 2 metres apart. My grandson stayed in the car with his Mum because he wouldn't understand social distancing. He has been desperate to see me so showed me all his animals through the can window. It was lovely to see them all in the flesh as I hate talking on video chat but it was really hard not to hug them. We all agreed it was really odd not to be able to touch or stand together. We hadn't realised we were so tactile.
All my neighbours are doing as they should but people looking at us may well have judged us for breaking the rules.

chattykathy Mon 06-Apr-20 10:56:28

These selfish people will cause a total lockdown! I'd report them using this
www.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/c19/tell-us-about-possible-breach-coronavirus-measures/

Shazmo24 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:56:29

You can inform the police online...I would!

tomtom12 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:56:43

mine is the sameno brains ithink but that dont think about others I dont go iout and my children put my shopping in the porch the walk out side 6 feet away then I can talk to them I to would love a hug but have to wait

Grannygrumps1 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:59:50

I have the same problem with my sister. Her daughter lives a few roads away from her. They have all been isolated in their own homes for over two weeks and now think they are all safe to mix together. I’m sure this is wrong. Can anyone confirm this for me.
BIL and Niece both in high risk groups.

Notright Mon 06-Apr-20 11:01:05

Only one answer - report to the police without qualm.

Howcome Mon 06-Apr-20 11:02:46

I am complying with the lockdown - however I see no issue with those fortunate enough to have gardens using them for bbq’s bonfires or anything else as long as no one not living in the home attends or comes with 6 feet of me!! There was a lot of grass cutting and tree trimming around us this weekend - that was followed by bonfires to dispose of the cuttings as the council have had to close their dumps.

Scotmom Mon 06-Apr-20 11:05:12

I consider myself fortunate to have a veranda. I have a clothes drying rack at one end and a bistro table and chairs at the other. I would love to be able to sit out when the weather is pleasant to have my meals there. After all, that is why I put the table and chairs there. Problem is.....my weed smoking neighbors have chairs on their veranda too and like being outside. YUCK !!!?

Sally2019 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:07:54

People have got to start reporting others. Its putting everyones life in danger

Samegrandma Mon 06-Apr-20 11:09:15

If you saw someone being attacked in the street you would report it. Anyone breaking the lock-down is potentially 'attacking' the whole community. It is very simple - REPORT THEM!