Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Neighbours Behaving Badly

(189 Posts)
NanaPlenty Mon 06-Apr-20 09:05:28

Yesterday during a day of beautiful sunshine I was astonished that my neighbours on both sides thought it ok to have all their family round! I thought this was one of the things we aren’t supposed to do during this time. What is wrong with people - I miss my family and grandchildren especially but we are doing our bit. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hetty58 Sun 26-Apr-20 14:04:21

Kaggi60, there's far worse things than being bored - like being dead!

Kaggi60 Sun 26-Apr-20 13:51:09

We have people next to us just ignoring lockdown completely. It does not make common sense but one lady asked them why they are doing it they say they are bored and got nothing to else to do.

Mollygo Wed 15-Apr-20 10:01:39

Knickas63 - Try not to get upset. Picking holes in others is entertainment for some folks. Doing stunts in a bike is exercise and if he was on his own I don’t see the problem.
OK somethings are downright dangerous at the moment and we can all be proud of the things we do to minise the danger but you’re right about the curtain twitchers.
We have extended our walking distance to a figure of 8 as we’ve been feeling fitter but this involves walking down our road twice. Yesterday one of the men further down the road, working on his garden said, “See you’ve been out twice today.”
We were out for about 30 minutes so perhaps his sense of time isn’t that good. DH just smiled and said, “We’re trying to make it 4 times round.” He’s so much more tactful than me.

Tangerine Wed 08-Apr-20 16:38:16

Somewhere on this thread someone mentioned about people shopping every day for a few things.

I agree that this is not a good idea at all at the moment but perhaps people who don't drive but can walk to a shop can only carry a small amount at a time. I agree completely that it shouldn't be necessary to go out absolutely every day.

knickas63 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:33:26

Really should proof read!

knickas63 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:32:08

I find al lthis hateful! i have been doing my best to maintain Social Distancing, but it is a struggle and makes me sad. I still work, as I work for the NHS. My daughters and GC were in complete lockdown for a fortnight as all had symptoms, there time finished just as the General Lockdown happened. I am concerned for my Daughters MH - they both have issues. I am missing them terribly. They have ddropped thngs off at the front door and we have spoken at a 2m+ distance, which has eased things a bit. Face time is no substitute. But waht I really hate is the way people have turned into curtain twithcers, spying on everyone! One local lady's sone spent 10 or 15 minutes in the space behing her house on his bike doing stunts. He filmed himself - absolutely no one around at all. The abuse she got! Apparently if he had ridden around for 1015 minutes that was fine, as it was exercise. This was 'playing' and therefore not acceptable. wher has the common sense gone! You woudl think people were intelligent enough to recognise risk takin over none risk taking? Having non household gatherings, and picnics and group games is clearly wrong, but the hysterical cries of 'they left the house' are beyond me. Check the distance and if ok then just button it.

craftyone Wed 08-Apr-20 09:34:23

no suziewoozie, I will not report either neighbour and absolutely will not take on any of his `guilt`. There are only 3 of us in my area and I keep myself very safe. Apart from that they are lovely helpful neighbours.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 09:27:55

surf exactly - some people just wanted to pretend they didn’t understand.

surfsup Wed 08-Apr-20 09:24:40

This is my first post so I'll dip my toe in the water to say that household quite obviously means people living under the same roof whether related or not. It doesn't mean family per se.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 09:13:48

I think tbf the word ‘household’ was always used officially. I think what actually happened was that ( as so often happens) some members of MSM sloppily turned the word into families. But apart from that, does anyone need much intelligence to understand the thinking behind reducing mixing to reduce spread? I think some people wilfully misunderstood what they were supposed to do - as some still are.

Hetty58 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:08:06

Oldjude, you say:

'nothing else to do but nosey and judge others',

well yes, guilty as charged, and proud of it too! I will keep on reporting them to the police - with absolutely no hesitation.

If a drunk driver was recklessly speeding in your area, putting lives in danger, what would you do?

Hetty58 Wed 08-Apr-20 08:59:44

Mardler123, the word 'family' was used in the earlier TV advice - when 'household', along with a definition, should have been.

Mardler123 Wed 08-Apr-20 08:31:32

There has been much confusion about the family visiting ruling. This was cleared up recently. Family in this instance means household. So family from another household should not be mixing.

hondagirl Wed 08-Apr-20 08:11:19

I am just wondering if there are penalties for flouting these regulations. People need to be fined if they do not comply. Here in Australia we are doing a bit better than some other countries. Fines for flouting the rules vary from state to state but are between $1300 and $1600. Gatherings of more than 2 people, other than those in your household are banned. You are only allowed to drive anywhere if your journey is essential. The other day a young girl was stopped and fined as she was out in the car with her mother having a driving lesson. Yesterday the police broke up a group of 5 people who had gathered in a car park to drink. They were all fined. These are just local incidents I know of. People are being fined all the time for flouting the rules. There is a special department which has been set up to check on people who have the virus and are supposed to be self-isolating. They get fined if they don't. The police need to be given more powers. I know it sounds a bit draconian but it's what's needed to save lives and stop the spread.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 07:42:59

crafty why not report him? Give police his reg number and destination then it’s upto them whether they stop him en route. How would he know it was you? Have you thought about the risks of his being infected during his totally unnecessary jaunt and then infecting others who might die? How would you feel on his return if there were infections in your area? I just couldn’t live with being party to a risk like that. Selfish behaviour over this weekend risks extending the lockdown for those of us being good citizens and longing to get back to normal. Please think again about reporting him

craftyone Wed 08-Apr-20 06:19:07

my neighbour has had his lady friend staying with him for 2 weeks and yesterday told me that they are driving back to her home 100 miles away, so that she can keep an eye on her dd who is temporarily living there, she has a large garden and wants also to check that her seedlings are still ok. he will be coming back alone after a few nights stopover. I am disappointed sad to think that they think it is ok to break the rules. I won`t report them, we need to get on after all this is over. Out of 3 neighbours, I am the only one keeping strictly to the rules

Daisyboots Tue 07-Apr-20 23:12:03

Oh GrandmaFrench how I agree with you. All these rules and guidelines in the UK need to be enshrined in law like most European countries and then hopefully everyone will obey them. It's lovely to see that Gransnetters are following the guidelines but everyone needs to stay at home and not go out to parks to sunbathe or gather at the coast.
Here in Portugal each time the lockdown is extended new laws are made the same day. When our lockdown was extended fir a further two weeks a law was made that between 9th and 13th April no one is allowed to go out of their local council area. We are only allowed out for a walk from our home and not allowed to drive somewhere then go for a walk We are only allowed to use the car to go to the supermarket or pharmacy and only one person may go in the shop. The law for over Easter is to stop people going away to their second home or to an apartment. Or to go to visit their family. The police will be stopping cars and sending people back to their homes in order to stop the spread of the virus . Although the trains and intercity buses will be running passengers will be questioned before boarding why they are travelling and will be stopped if there is not a very good reason. Personally I would have thought just stop the trains and buses for 4 days would be better but I am not in charge. Beaches have been closed especially in the Algarve so no reason to go there. All commercial flights in and out of Portugal for the period have been banned too. Stay home and stay safe everyone.

Teacheranne Tue 07-Apr-20 12:10:37

Oops, soup made up of used up veg, not Veda!

Teacheranne Tue 07-Apr-20 12:08:31

Interesting that some people find reasons to shop daily or more frequently than once a week.

If you cannot have your newspaper delivered, it's easy to read it on line. Crossword lovers can fins loads of those to do online as well, some can ge printed out so you still write down the answers.

I don't have a freezer but by shopping wisely, I can buy for a week ahead - I live alone though and am not overly obsessed about use by dates! Last week I bought a pack of chicken breasts, sausages and a small pizza, all with fairly long use by dates. So my meals were chicken curry ( two breasts cooked at the same time) , pizza with added toppings from bits in my fridge, cold chicken, salad and jacket potato, second portion of chicken curry, sausage fry up, rest of sausages in toad in the hole and finally some home made soup using up Veda and some cold ham. I find a loaf of bread lasts several days and I use half baked bread or oatcakes towards the end of the week. Any fresh fruit that looks a bit wrinkled gets turned into a sauce and eaten with yogurt, old vegetables are oven roasted then I make soup.

Next week I plan to buy some mince meat to make four meals ( possibly shepherds pie and chilli) and bacon which will do two meals and I'll see what else I fancy for another meal.

I'm not being sanctimonious, I'm not fond of cooking and used to eat out a lot and shop daily for fresh food but I have a lot more free time now (can't think why!) and I'm following all the guidelines as, even though I'm not in any vulnerable group, I don't want to be a super spreader or become ill myself.

So, I'm off to the shops tomorrow and will pick up my monthly prescription at the same time. I've not got much food left for apart from cheese, sliced ham and one potato but will use one of my precious tins and create something tasty!

MadeInYorkshire Tue 07-Apr-20 11:59:39

3211123rjc

Another way in to getting help might be via Adult Social Services at your local Council?

MadeInYorkshire Tue 07-Apr-20 10:38:10

3211123rjc

Try your local Radio Station, they seem to be co-ordinating groups of people able to help ....

BusterTank Tue 07-Apr-20 10:23:53

It makes me laugh that my next door neighbor keeps playing the over 70 card . Having home delivery's from all the major supermarkets but they are still out and about in there car and walking there dog . They have never had home delivery's before and have the cheek to moan about what the rest of the neighbours are doing .

Charleygirl5 Tue 07-Apr-20 10:21:43

A couple of miles where I live I was driving home and I noticed out of the corner of my eye a motorbike driving on the very wide pavement opposite. An L driver but that beggar's belief.

Smileless2012 Tue 07-Apr-20 10:00:51

Twice now I've been forced to walk on the road while taking our dogs out once a day, Mr. S. takes them out once a day too.

Both times for the same reason, an adult male (not the same one on both occasions) was heading toward me riding a bike and had no intentions of going onto the roadangry.

billericaylady Tue 07-Apr-20 09:49:17

Easybee...think of the bigger picture..theres people out there that are suffering with the virus therefore it is affecting their lungs ...Barbecues arent helping ?