Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hair washing advice

(30 Posts)
MarionHalcombe Mon 06-Apr-20 23:16:44

My mum is 93 with very fast growing, thick hair. She has a perm about 3 or 4 times a year and it 'shampoo'd and set ' every week.
Due to arthritis and a broken collar bone that didn't set correctly she can't wash it herself and has a mobile hairdresser visit the house. She lives alone and a carer goes in daily to cook her a meal.

The week before the lockdown she was due a cut and perm but her hairdresser had a bad cold and cancelled. So she now hasn't had her hair washed in a month.

I've dropped off some dry shampoo but her hair is too long, too straight and unmanageable for her. I've seen her from the garden and told her it looks fine. I lied.

This may seem trivial, but it's driving her mad and upsetting her quite a bit. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Babyshark Tue 07-Apr-20 18:11:06

Op if the 18 year old is from a care agency and not a private arrangement you can ask social care to review her needs in respect of her hair and in doing so request a female carer who can undertake personal care. Just give the social worker or community care worker a ring.

judegodfrey Fri 10-Jul-20 06:06:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

shysal Fri 10-Jul-20 09:18:35

Mobile hairdressers are allowed to work now. They will have guidelines to follow and wear PPE, the client will need a face covering.
Hope she is sorted soon.

BlueSky Fri 10-Jul-20 17:51:25

If all else fails as others have said, Social Services will have to be alerted that she needs a carer to help with personal care.