Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Over 10000 deaths

(81 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 12-Apr-20 14:32:40

Over 30 NHS staff. I don't understand why we are not more outraged, how did we become so accepting if this extraordinary figure? We seemed to learn nothing from Italy. Now several sources are saying the UK may have the highest death rate in Europe. Worried? We should be.

25Avalon Sun 12-Apr-20 14:38:58

Yes we should worry but there are so much mixed reports and speculations out there with no one really knowing exactly what the outcome will be. All we can do is follow the guidelines and be proud of and truly thankful to our wonderful NHS staff who are doing a sterling job. When we get out of this dreadful situation will be the time for recriminations and thinking what could have been done differently. For now we have to get through the best we can - there is no other choice.

vegansrock Sun 12-Apr-20 14:41:48

A couple of weeks ago there was a whole thread about Italy and some folk saying the reason for their high death rate was they all lived on top of each other, didn't have proper toilets, they had poor health care, all lived with their grans etc. The implication being, we wouldn't get as bad as that. When I pointed out the sweeping generalisations and frankly, ignorant and inaccurate attitudes, I wasn't believed ( even thoughI have close relatives in the worse hit areas. Yes we are on course to have the highest death rates in Europe, no-one seems shocked by over 1000 deaths per day attributable to this virus, and thats just the ones in hospital.

Eglantine21 Sun 12-Apr-20 14:44:32

And there’s dozens of threads about families joyfully mixing this weekend.

Obviously we’re not yet worried enough...

MiniMoon Sun 12-Apr-20 15:02:09

So sad to read that coronavirus has taken the life of Tim Brooke-Taylor. Such a lovely funny man. ?

Charleygirl5 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:07:23

MiniMoon I did not realise that.

There are young lads playing cricket locally- not a problem because apparently it has nothing to do with them. That is the rubbish they have been telling the police.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 15:13:11

If we are worried is anybody actually listening?

I observe the major supermarkets have responded very quickly and efficiently, signs, extra staff , clear direction and so on.

Why can't the powers that be do something similar? Numbers to ring if you witness people breaking the rules,swift action and a clear and credible leadership.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 15:13:56

Sorry Eg, where are these threads about joyful mixing? It's outrageous.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:14:05

Set to be the worst death toll in Europe .

It is thought that it is devastating Victorian slum type living conditions in the U.K. poverty is always going to welcome the virus.

It the wretched government had got control of it earlier this wouldn’t be so bad, but now we face the (unsurprising) embarrassment of being the least able to deal with it in Europe.

The British people deserve better.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 15:18:14

Sorry WW, can you expand on the slum idea please?

This is absolutly mind blowing.

Daisymae Sun 12-Apr-20 15:22:04

I am not sure that people playing cricket or whatever are really contributing vastly to the death toll. It seems an easy scapegoat to divert from poor policymaking. If we're not angry now then when will we be? Certainly not in 3 or 6 months time

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:25:22

Yes greymar

Poor people in the U.K. often live in cramped slum like housing. It is thought ( guardian report) I’ll try to do a link )

that the virus is flying through these communities. Poor people generally have the worst health many with underlying comorbidities like, obesity, diabetes heart problems etc. The death rate is therefore expected to be higher than in more wealthy communities.

Baggs Sun 12-Apr-20 15:25:35

Couple of graphs showing UK in relation to other countries:

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:27:02

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/12/virus-hitting-hardest-modern-equivalent-victorian-slums

Sorry forgot the link

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 15:27:42

Not for a minute doubting what you say WW.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 15:28:22

Multi occupancy old Victorian houses soem to mind for starters.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 15:29:45

Whats the point of your graph Baggs? It's bad , its appalling and time to stop with the silly graphs. 10,000 dead??

Eglantine21 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:34:13

Wow, Daisymae doesn’t think people mixing has anything to do with the spread of an contagious disease.

No wonder we’re in a mess.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:36:41

Listen to the experts

Professor Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of Wellcome Trust & pandemic expert member of SAGE, admits: “The UK is likely to be one of the worst, if not the worst, affected country in Europe.”

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:37:36

I think daisy is correctly warning against scapegoating.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 15:37:47

Nobody should be playing anything right now.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:38:26

grey?

Eglantine21 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:03:03

All the policies in the world won’t fix anything. God knows I worked in an environment where we had Policies coming out of our ears, but then, as now, it’s the practice that counts.

And that means everyone in this situation. Everyone.

Everybody knows what they need to do to slow the spread. Everybody claps for “our wonderful NHS”.
People pontificate about not enough PPE.
Indulge in personal sneers for gd knows what reason.

And then they go and just do a little shopping, stop and have a chat (safely!), help out with the childcare, meet up with their mates to kick a ball around, have a little picnic in the park.

Members of my family are in the thick of this. all the political posturing (on both sides) isn’t helping.

People, everybody, need to do what they need to do to help the medical teams to get on top of this.

Then you can all go back to playing your political games.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:08:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:10:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.