Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Over 10000 deaths

(82 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 12-Apr-20 14:32:40

Over 30 NHS staff. I don't understand why we are not more outraged, how did we become so accepting if this extraordinary figure? We seemed to learn nothing from Italy. Now several sources are saying the UK may have the highest death rate in Europe. Worried? We should be.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:10:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eglantine21 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:10:49

?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:12:35

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:14:37

I think I’ve overdone it???

There’s is more but I’ll only post it if anyone wants to read it.

Apologies to those who will, suffer apoplexy

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 16:15:42

Eglantine, personally I am not playing political games. This is not the time. We have a certain party in power who it would appear has made some absolute massive errors. And no " the other lot" probably wouldn't be any better.

Cheltenham was a turning point, a disaster.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:40:58

Just to save the usual suspects apoplexy - be a little patient and these long posts should be taken down. I’ve reported myself.

I’ll put up the link.

It really is worth a read.

Daisymae Sun 12-Apr-20 16:50:38

There's a lot of fact and detail, however I don't think that the influencers are bothered or interested. I suspect that policy was changed on the hoof after observations were made on the topics take were trending on Twitter over the weekend before lockdown was announced. This could be the level we are at. I suspect that history will reveal some incredible tales.

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:52:38

I certainly am outraged. Every time I've seen the number of deaths reported I've been incensed by it.
People have been allowed to do exactly what they pleased from the beginning of January onwards and it's been an absolute crime when the powers that be knew exactly what was coming.

No closed borders. No closed airports. No halt on gatherings and meetings. What did they expect ? A quick about turn of this virus to somewhere else, over our heads ?

I very much doubt that the figures are true too !

Hetty58 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:56:54

WW2, not overdone at all. People need to read it all!

paddyanne Sun 12-Apr-20 16:59:49

How can this NOT be political ?Surely the 10000 deaths and the many the English figures dont show are down to POLITICAL incompetence .

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 17:04:10

If we're not careful this pandemic could mirror the Spanish 'flu pandemic which killed millions worldwide and continued spreading for nearly 2 years. It's been said that a vaccine won't be sought for at least 18 months so the odds are stacked against us as a population with this many deaths to date.
Not encouraging is it ?

Hetty58 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:04:27

Everything is political paddyanne. We can't avoid it, politics permeates every aspect of our lives.

A long history of underfunding the NHS, community care and police force has meant we had a weak starting point for the crisis.

The delays, followed by 'too little, too late' has cost countless precious human lives - there's no escaping that fact.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:05:50

Daisymae Sun 12-Apr-20 17:07:12

I think that millions will die, it feels inevitable. When it gets a grip in countries where isolation is impossible, with little healthcare, poor sanitation and hygiene facilities.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:07:24

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:07:37

Hetty58 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:08:31

EllanVannin, early research indicates that herd immunity is not the answer. Young people who have a mild version of the disease tend to have a corresponding mild, and temporary, immunity to it.

Therefore, there's a strong possibility that they are prone to catch (and transmit) it again. I do hope and pray that the research turns out to be wrong!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:08:35

Phew !, it will get zapped no doubt about it so speed reading might be in order????

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:09:43

WHO timeline

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 17:13:32

If this virus is a mixture of SARS and MERS it means that it can be partially airborne such as SARS was ? To be spread so quickly.

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 17:17:11

Couldn't you have just put a link up Whitewavemark2 ? hmm

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:17:32

This is the timeline of WHO announcements

quizqueen Sun 12-Apr-20 17:19:34

I believe the highest figure for deaths in the UK in modern times for seasonal winter flu is 23,000, not counting Spanish flu in the 19th century which killed a tenth of the world population. Sweden has not gone into lockdown at all so it will be interesting to compare figures when we think we are out of this pandemic. I have not seen any figures recorded for medical staff dying from flu in other countries so it's difficult to comment on that. Other countries mostly have insurance based /private health care schemes so can't be compared with the UK's state funded free for all at the point of use, which includes being accessible to tourists, non permanent residents and non taxpayers.

travelsafar Sun 12-Apr-20 17:31:08

Heartbreaking news today. We have a family member who is in that count. Sadly he passed last Sunday, he did have underlying issues which made it all much worse. My heart goes out to all those families and to the NHS trying so valiently to save the lives of so many people.

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 17:34:52

Dasiymay, I think you are absolutely right. Somebody somewhere hears " herd immunity". It sounds about right, OK, lets go with that then.

I said at the outset it was a disgraceful phrase.