Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

ANGER

(362 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 13-Apr-20 09:17:55

We need to be angry. We need to hold the government to account.

Yes, many of the populace are not abiding by the very lax lockdown. BUT the government should have abided by the WHO advice to TEST, TEST, TEST. By not doing that, they will have cost tens of thousands of British deaths. Our family members, our friends, our colleagues.

When this is over / slowing down, they need to be held accountable. We had THREE months notice. We watched Italy and Spain. And yet, they did nothing.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/12/uk-coronavirus-deaths-preventable-government-account?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR2jsLJsSxRe8KZ21zS-K3eLKre7QRajhPRhzpLliH2NnAJ9iQwM9Km-FmI

lemongrove Sat 18-Apr-20 23:05:01

There are many experts, and as usual say differing things.
No matter what is done and at what rate, nobody in any country is safe until there is a proven vaccine that is distributed to everyone.

GrannieIggle Sat 18-Apr-20 23:05:41

lemongrove Sat 18-Apr-20 22:30:52
Some people pull together in times of national crisis, and some just sit and moan about it.

The liberty to voice criticism does not exclude pulling together! And vice versa.

How did you come to the assumption that all those of us who exercise our independent thinking skills and our rights to speak are doing nothing but 'sitting and moaning'?!

lemongrove Sat 18-Apr-20 23:11:34

Experience of years on Gransnet ?

GrannieIggle Sat 18-Apr-20 23:32:24

Chewbacca Sat 18-Apr-20 18:31:14

Sarah said as people stood on their doorsteps and clapped for the NHS she felt overwhelmed. I feel proud of myself...but I feel most proud for my friends and my colleagues that I stand beside every day and every night,"

I am so very happy to know that Sarah and her colleagues feel so proud of themselves - as well they should.

I think it's amazing how these frontline people continue to keep the NHS running in extremis when all they get from gvts in normal times are knockbacks, undermining, jeering even and very low wages.

In this respect, as in so many others, no gvt represents me.

maddyone Sat 18-Apr-20 23:34:03

Maizie

Re your post of 9.50 this morning, that’s very disappointing, I understood that Burberry had started the manufacture of PPE. I hope they get the go ahead quickly.

GrannieIggle Sat 18-Apr-20 23:37:59

lemongrove Sat 18-Apr-20 23:11:34
Experience of years on Gransnet ?

??? Wot?! You've been in lockdown all that time!?!

maddyone Sat 18-Apr-20 23:40:31

No, a little search on Mr Google reveals Burberry are making PPE gowns and are planning to begin making masks in the very near future.

GrannieIggle Sun 19-Apr-20 18:01:31

Coronavirus: 38 days when Britain sleepwalked into disaster

BORIS JOHNSON SKIPPED FIVE COBRA MEETINGS ON THE VIRUS, calls to order protective gear were ignored and scientists’ warnings fell on deaf ears. Failings in February may have cost thousands of lives
April 19 2020, 12.01am, The Sunday Times
www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

_"Mr Johnson was absent from one meeting, yet found the time to join in a lunar new year dragon eyes ritual to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

The other meetings were understood to have been skipped in order to prioritise his personal life and other domestic issues, such as Brexit and his cabinet reshuffle.

The Prime Minister then spent two weeks of the half-term break with his pregnant fiancée, Carrie Symonds.

The first cobra meeting attended by Mr Johnson was on March 2, when the outbreak had already started to grip the country.

As a result, one senior Government adviser has heavily criticised Mr Johnson for lack of leadership.

They told the newspaper: “There’s no way you’re at war if your PM isn’t there.

“And what you learn about Boris was he didn’t chair any meetings. He liked his country breaks. He didn’t work weekends.

"It was like working for an old-fashioned chief executive in a local authority 20 years ago.

"There was a real sense that he didn’t do urgent crisis planning.

"It was exactly like people feared he would be.” "_

The country was without effective leadership for almost 6 weeks, crucially at the beginning of the worst crisis this nation has faced since WW2. The pandemic was already foreseeable during this time.

The man should be immediately suspended and indicted for dereliction of duty in public office and replaced by someone for whom this country's health and well-being come first.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Apr-20 18:21:50

GrannieIggle PMs do not attend every COBRA meeting, they are chaired by the appropriate Secretary of State, but hey ho let’s not spoil a good spin story with facts!!

maddyone Sun 19-Apr-20 19:07:12

I’ve just read this article, my daughter sent it to me. It confirms exactly what I thought all along, that is that we were far too slow off the mark, and absolutely complacent about this pandemic. The advice from the scientists, including the Chief Medical Adviser, Mr Chris Whitty, to allow the population to acquire herd immunity, was in my opinion nothing short of immoral. Now it’s being denied that herd immunity was ever an option, but I watched the press update which was on national television and herd immunity was what we were told was the strategy. Within a couple of weeks that was changed thankfully, but it makes me cross that it is now being denied.

maddyone Sun 19-Apr-20 19:14:05

I don’t actually care who chaired the COBRA meetings, our government is made up of a Cabinet and ministers in charge of the various ministries and Cabinet takes collective responsibility. There was a woeful lack of urgency shown by all involved and after advisers recommended herd immunity I’m surprised Chris Whitty is still in position.