Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

ANGER

(362 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 13-Apr-20 09:17:55

We need to be angry. We need to hold the government to account.

Yes, many of the populace are not abiding by the very lax lockdown. BUT the government should have abided by the WHO advice to TEST, TEST, TEST. By not doing that, they will have cost tens of thousands of British deaths. Our family members, our friends, our colleagues.

When this is over / slowing down, they need to be held accountable. We had THREE months notice. We watched Italy and Spain. And yet, they did nothing.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/12/uk-coronavirus-deaths-preventable-government-account?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR2jsLJsSxRe8KZ21zS-K3eLKre7QRajhPRhzpLliH2NnAJ9iQwM9Km-FmI

Chewbacca Mon 13-Apr-20 10:35:24

If me and my loved ones come out of this alive and healthy, I'll feel immense gratitude, not angry. Craftyone has it right.

Pikachu Mon 13-Apr-20 10:36:31

And yes, we have a right to demand explanation from this government now and when it is ‘all over’. However I feel that latter is not within sight and humans may be dealing with this virus for many years to come.

I hope I am wrong,

Pikachu Mon 13-Apr-20 10:37:13

And if your loved ones don’t come out of this alive and healthy?

Theoddbird Mon 13-Apr-20 10:41:24

This virus is an unknown. Nobody knows the best way to deal with it. Different countries are trying different things. It is all a learning curve. I think the government have done a brilliant job. No blame lies with them. The blame lies with the source of the virus. The blood is on the hands of the Chinese. They could have let the world know sooner. They hoped to contain it but they couldn't so in the end they had to let the world know.... I am a positive person...I know we will get through this and I think this slowing down of our lives can only help all of us in the long run. Look after yourselves and smile when you look in the mirror...it will lift your spirits. Sending Peace x

glammanana Mon 13-Apr-20 10:41:57

jaylucy I am also totally convinced this virus was amongst us a lot early than first thought it was,the symtoms are the exactly the same as what my husband died of in early December nothing will change my mind on this even my own Dr questioned the coroners report and said he had seen cases in September last year so yes I am very angry.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:44:07

How about being angry with China? How about getting angry with a dictatorial Chinese Government that can limit the amount of children a couple can have but not stop them eating endangered Pangolins.

How about getting angry with the WHO who agreed with China and put out a statement on 11th January 2020 saying “human to human transmission is highly unlikely”

Many epidemiologists are questioning China’s death figures.

Germany only registers a death as Covid-19 if there were no underlying causes in those cases the underlying cause is listed.

It’s time to stop knocking the UK get behind the NHS, Frontline Workers and the Government. Impossible to get behind the opposition as they are clueless.

Daisymae Mon 13-Apr-20 10:47:03

According to a yougov poll the UK is more compliant than most other countries so perhaps we should start to pay ourselves in the back. I think that trying to blame the public is a diversion from where true responsibility lies. Yes, I think that we should be angry. This pandemic has not just arrived out of the blue. It has been expected and preparations made. A war games trial a few years ago showed how ill equipped we were yet nothing was done to rectify the situation.

Shelmiss Mon 13-Apr-20 10:48:46

I really believe they are doing the best that they can do. If that best isn’t good enough, then I don’t know what would be. We are all struggling to get through this, the government included.

Maybe I’m too much of a conformist. I don’t go looking for conspiracy theories and hidden agendas. But I am a Tory, so obviously I back them. If I was a Labour support maybe I would feel differently. And that’s not written to wind anyone up. Just a thought.

GagaJo Mon 13-Apr-20 10:50:19

You can blame OTHER countries all you like. The fact is, we live here. Our healthcare services are here. Our lives depend on what our government do.

They did not heed advice.

Of COURSE I'm behind the healthcare services. THEY are the ones saving lives. The government is responsible for many of these deaths.

I'll say again. This is NOT party politics. I don't care who is in power as long as they HEED expert advice. NOT stand on a daily podium and lie.

How do those of you who think they are doing a 'sterling', 'excellent' and 'great' job feel about Matt Hancock accusing NHS workers of wasting PPE?

GagaJo Mon 13-Apr-20 10:51:11

They could look to New Zealand.

They could look to Germany.

They could look to South Korea.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:51:51

There will be a lot of “blaming” by the government.

Don’t play their game and nod like a donkey, be aware of the facts. There is masses out there that shows this government has made very poor decisions indeed.

By all means be angry but not at your own expense. Save your anger for when you vote, never forget the thousands of unnecessary deaths. You owe it to them to ensure the piper pays the price.

Pikachu Mon 13-Apr-20 10:51:52

Theoddnird you are mistaken. China first identified the virus on January 6th as a new virus. They informed the world a few days later, before their first recorded death and when they had less than 100 cases. Apart from some jumped up petty officials who dismissed the first reports they couldn’t have acted any quicker.

They have also sent ventilates, PPE equipment and trained staff to the U.K. and other countries to help. I think all this ‘the Chinese virus’ reeks of Trump.

Source of Stats The Guardian.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:53:57

If you feel anger, generate it to China who have underplayed the virus they created and spread!! They also seem to be doing a good job of bungling supplies to the NHS. Why does China have to make everything? Can't we do it here? Aren't we capable? Come on Brits, make the protective gear the NHS needs, then we don't have to rely on China.

Sussexborn Mon 13-Apr-20 10:54:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Pikachu Mon 13-Apr-20 10:54:34

No

Pikachu Mon 13-Apr-20 10:55:59

Just pondering the definition of racist....

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:56:11

I check the twitter Bio and feed of every tweet I see bemoaning the lack of PPE and also those who say they have enough. It was no surprise to me that 9 out of 10 of the bemoaners were Anti Boris and/or Labour supporters/members.

Political Weaponisation of this crisis is no help to anyone.

Chewbacca Mon 13-Apr-20 10:56:55

And if your loved ones don’t come out of this alive and healthy?

Sadness, like any normal person would. confused

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Apr-20 11:05:53

Agreed Chewbacca Having two close friends one I have known for over 40 years currently working in ICU, I am always relieved to get their whatsapp each evening.

Sussexborn Mon 13-Apr-20 11:07:10

Gagajo. Looking back over this thread you are wasting your time. The majority apply common sense and logic not repetitive mumbo jumbo and the odd link from a s**t stirring Guardian journo. That rag does also have some more sensible non alarmist items that you choose not to see.

sandelf Mon 13-Apr-20 11:07:26

It was never possible to test - not enough and too much international travel.

Washerwoman Mon 13-Apr-20 11:18:24

Well we will never know how a Labour government would have dealt with this.I actually wish they were in charge and had been for years because of course everything in this country would be perfect.Although I would still be a bit miffed about losing our local hospital thanks to our local trust bring in a complete mess after a ruinous PPI scheme.
I think if this government had implemented a lockdown earlier less people would have complied.It's taken 3 weeks for too many to take it seriously.Testing and tracing yes I do wish more had been done earlier.
I do sometimes feel some anger but it's when I see people arguing with the police and being smart alecs and all the police can do is advise.Pushing inches in front of me in a supermarket to snatch something.etc
But mostly I feel gratitude.Yes some things could have been done better some things I think are bloody amazing.The speed the Nightingale hospitals have gone up,the one near where my DD works on ICU is up and running to take the covid patients with no other serious issues leaving their unit to take those requiring even more intensive care.The financial rescue package.More generous than I think most would have expected. But I know any positives will just get rubbished so God knows why I'm even posting.

Elegran Mon 13-Apr-20 11:28:26

Right now we are all in an emergency situation. There is no way that in the middle of this we can reverse decisions made years ago, fill supply shelves with equipment that is in short supply and high demand, and make sweeping changes to the current Government (which was elected, BTW - not a voluntary dictatorship) We have to deal today with what immediately faces us, and make any long-tern changes later.

We don't need someone ranting and rabble-rousing to add to our adrenaline and make those of us who are already stressed more anxious than they already are. Be as angry as you like, Gagajo but store it up until you can use it constructively. Put it in your storecupboard, beside the essential supplies. It won't go to waste.

Galaxy Mon 13-Apr-20 11:32:59

Challenge and criticism are a key part of democracy.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 13-Apr-20 11:35:27

I agree with you WhiteWave, The government has made complete pigs ear of this, except I would use stronger language. We should be angry, angry for al those that have died especially those doing their duty and working. Absolute disgrace.