Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Antibody test shows that 50 - 80% more people have had C19 than was thought (US)

(35 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 18-Apr-20 13:52:29

Interesting. IF it is true and IF it applied here, it means the death rate for C19 is actually only 0.12-0.2%.

uk.yahoo.com/news/antibody-study-suggests-coronavirus-far-012427142.html

Sussexborn Sun 19-Apr-20 11:02:57

It said on the news that people are frightened to go to hospital when they would normally do so because of Covid 19.

It wasn’t that rare for people to wait all weekend with symptoms of heart attacks because they didn’t want to bother the doctor! Or perhaps were frightened of the outcome?

Oopsminty Sun 19-Apr-20 11:06:40

I work a hospital - wards are empty.

Where on earth do you work?

Gran52 Sun 19-Apr-20 11:36:00

Callistemon - Facts are as stated regarding empty wards at hospital where I work. Perhaps you and other readers do your own research as to situation regarding empty hospital wards at other hospitals in the UK...... Where I work we all feel the round of applause on Thursday nights is a bit of a joke

Eglantine21 Sun 19-Apr-20 11:40:41

I’d really like to know which hospital that is Gran52.

My family work in three hospitals in different areas f the country. Those are not empty.

Would you be prepared to at least indicate which area to f the country you work in?

Eglantine21 Sun 19-Apr-20 11:42:20

Oh Gran52. Could you be transferred? Then some of those who are working could take a break.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 13:36:53

Gran52 I think many of us have relatives who work in hospitals, in ICU for extremely long shifts, in path labs etc and yes, we do realise that they are quieter than usual except in the areas designated for COVID19 patients.
We also know why.
Outpatient appointments have , in the main been cancelled.
Operations have been postponed
Treatments are on hold

Hospitals are not the best place to be at the moment unless one is a staff member or being cared for because one has the virus.
Medical staff from other departments are being trained in ICU work.

You sound puzzled about it.
What is your job that you do not realise why?

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 13:39:53

Perhaps you're a statistician Gran52

On some threads you seemed bewildered by what is going on and asked a lot of questions which other posters kindly answered for you, now you seem to be an authority on what is happening.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 13:42:55

And, of course, there are no visitors at the moment ....... or very few.

Davidhs Sun 19-Apr-20 14:49:00

Here is an interesting piece on WHO involvement from Sydney Morning Herald

February 1 would prove to be a fateful day: it was when Australia truly decided to move ahead of the WHO and never look back.

Other measures that would follow - such as the worldwide travel ban, declaring a global pandemic, the creation of the national cabinet and social-distancing measures - all stemmed from this day.

Announcing the ban, Morrison was questioned by a journalist over why Australia was doing it against the advice of the WHO. “Because our medical advice is it’s in the interest of Australians to do so,” Morrison said.

Two days later, the WHO’s director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, hit out at Australia and the United States for putting in place travel restrictions from China, saying there was no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade”. If anything, this reinforced the Australian government’s decision.