Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

One Banana - the perils of an online shop

(77 Posts)
Airedale19 Mon 20-Apr-20 18:26:18

Driver: “Is this your first online delivery? Thought so.”

Did it look as though I was about to smother this startled Anton Lesser lookalike in kisses or was it because of the contents of my crates?

Oh, the perils of an online shop.

Apart from being grateful for my long-awaited online delivery, the One Banana gave me the first fit of giggles that I’d experienced in weeks.

Liljan Sat 25-Apr-20 07:30:53

I too have done 1 banana, my husbands face was something to behold when “it” arrived. I’m extra vigilant now...or so I thought, had a delivery last night and have managed to purchase an individual sized quiche for two of us, a pot of face cream the size of a thimble that cost as much as my usual which normally lasts a couple of months and 12 Bakewell tarts, use by date May! We’re shielded so will just have to keep trying!

JuliaM Sat 25-Apr-20 00:13:57

Struggling with the Greek Language, and pre-Metric uk, l once ordered a kilo of Cooked ham in their local deli by mistake, not realising that it was over double the quantity l would normally buy at home for our family of 7!
Luckily it was rather reasonably priced and nice tasty ham, so we actually enjoyed it served in various dishes throughout the week on the pretty little island of Agiena.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Apr-20 18:36:18

merlotgran ?

merlotgran Thu 23-Apr-20 20:19:40

It's going to take an awful lot of gin and tonic to use up the lemons that were delivered yesterday.

I thought I'd clicked on 3 lemons, not three nets!!

Purpledaffodil Thu 23-Apr-20 20:05:05

Same here Bijou. I normally shop at Aldi with bird food from Wilco. Now food comes from Sainsbury’s on line and bird food from Amazon. But as you say, there aren’t many pleasures left! ?

dirgni Thu 23-Apr-20 19:16:37

Yep also made the one potato, one leek mistake among many others. Maybe I’ll get the hang of it by the time lockdown is over!

Bijou Thu 23-Apr-20 11:07:47

I am spending more because I am having Sainsbury deliveries instead of going to Lidl, Wilco and Poundland.. but I don’t care because eating and drinking are the only pleasures left to me at my age.

Billybob4491 Wed 22-Apr-20 17:50:42

I ordered too much milk recently, and when it arrived I could have had a bath in it!

Washerwoman Wed 22-Apr-20 17:03:07

I got very excited when thanks to DD I found that I get a notification of when I can have a slot.So put my order in and checked out.Got my confirmation e -mail.It was very late evening but still worth staying up for.The time came and went and annoyingly no delivery, no text to say we're running late. Had a sudden thought and checked my confirmation. It's coming next week !.Luckily we still have quite a bit in and DD will drop some essentials in before.I then couldn't get to sleep for ages .And I was craving the tasty treat I thought I'd be enjoying today !

J52 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:09:43

DH has just received a biggish box. He ordered 100 wooden plant labels.
Yes you’ve guessed it they came in bundles of 100. ???

Lyndylou Wed 22-Apr-20 15:12:48

Trying to complete a Sainsbury Click and Collect order without losing everything already ordered, there was an insistent voice in my ear "Don't forget tomatoes, you forgot them last week". Luckily he saw the funny side when we were presented with one tomato in a bag with 15p written on the bag. We shared it between us with steak and chips.

Sussexborn Wed 22-Apr-20 15:06:14

I imagine a lot of the picking is being done by the newly employed staff. Many probably youngsters living at home with their parents have never grocery shopped for themselves.

At least those who need it are getting some food in which is infinitely preferable to none! Even if they have to climb over a food mountain to access their kitchens.

Granless Wed 22-Apr-20 14:54:18

Lucky lot - I’m still trying to bag a home delivery.

BlueSapphire Wed 22-Apr-20 08:30:51

Sainsbury's or Waitrose phoned me and asked if I meant to order 6kg of mushrooms!

Wacdie Wed 22-Apr-20 07:23:36

... one lone parsnip arrived here ?

Purpledaffodil Wed 22-Apr-20 07:15:23

DD’s friend had coriander and lemons substituted for mint and limes. She said she knew there were worse problems, but her mojitos were not going to taste very nice.?

Airedale19 Wed 22-Apr-20 06:23:08

I never thought that online food shopping would provide such entertainment value.

I did come across the problem whereby I could not buy four individual yoghurts, but could buy three of the four-packs - a crude implementation of a restriction on the number of items that could be bought.

HurdyGurdy Tue 21-Apr-20 20:01:10

I thought I'd ordered 6 on the vine tomatoes. 6kg turned up

We had LOTS of tomato soup for the freezer grin

Flowerofthewest Tue 21-Apr-20 18:09:41

I ordered 3 tins of chopped Toms and 3 tins of whole Toms.
I now have 40 cans of tomatoes and 3 passata.
I didn't realise that offer was for 6x tins in a pack. 36 can plus 4 I already had.

AGAA4 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:30:44

A friend ordered 12 white toilet rolls. The substitution was 12 white bread rolls.
I wished her good luck with that!

Plunkie Tue 21-Apr-20 16:20:32

To Aepgirl - for Tesco deliveries - log on to the site early (say 10pm) & click on Book a slot. About 11.50pm the screen switches to say you're in a queue & after midnight the screen changes & the new slots become available - just one day at a time. I think Asda slots come on about 6pm but haven't tried as can get Tesco. Have done Tesco deliveries since 2001!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:16:03

It sounds horrendous!

I must try to access a British supermarket's online store, just to look at the page!.

Here there is no danger of making the kind of mistakes you are talking about when ordering online.

Granny23 Tue 21-Apr-20 14:44:37

My Grandson IS ENORMOUS! Aged 13 he has long since outgrown the whole family with the exception of his 6'5" Father. He is not in the least fat, takes lots of exercise, but has size 10 feet, big hands, etc. all in perfect proportion. His 'wee' sister, aged 11 is already taller than me, but she has a different build, slim with very long legs. Their Mum, my DD, is only 5'3.

KnittyNannie Tue 21-Apr-20 13:05:10

We are two mid-seventies who are legal guardians to two teenaged grandsons, so my online orders can be quite large. I mentioned recently, during a phone call with a Waitrose manager, that I had only been allowed 3 bananas when I’d ordered 12, and said that there wasn’t even one each for one day when they were meant to last for a week. He told me to order in kgs, not individually. It worked - but why?

SirChenjin Tue 21-Apr-20 13:03:28

I once ordered 500g of carrots - instead I got the biggest single carrot I’d ever seen.