Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

There is alas no cure for stupidity

(158 Posts)
MawB Fri 24-Apr-20 07:19:25

US President Donald Trump has been lambasted by the medical community after suggesting research into whether coronavirus might be treated by injecting disinfectant into the body.
He also appeared to propose irradiating patients' bodies with UV light, an idea dismissed by a doctor at the briefing.
Another of his officials had moments earlier said sunlight and disinfectant were known to kill the infection.
Mr Trump's own public health agencies (unsurprisingly) warn against bleach as a medicine.

Brunette10 Fri 24-Apr-20 08:40:35

Thank you Marydoll - I did actually think the same - thanks again!

sodapop Fri 24-Apr-20 08:42:29

I get tired of people thinking its ok to collectively mock Americans. It wouldn't happen unchallenged with any other group of people.

Laughterlines Fri 24-Apr-20 08:43:20

I should get the bus and go to Tesco for more thick bleach . I will push in at the front of the queue as I am in shielded group but I am bit busy today drilling holes in my head to let the virus out. Decisions decisions

Grandmafrench Fri 24-Apr-20 08:44:01

You cannot even debate this dangerous nonsense.......as kitty says, there are no words. Oh, hang on, I have one
CERTIFIABLE !!!!!!

vampirequeen Fri 24-Apr-20 08:45:26

We're English. We mock everyone including ourselves.

mary51 Fri 24-Apr-20 08:47:22

When I read the OP an hour ago I told my husband who said it must be 'fake news' and he immediately checked the papers to see it was true!!

MawB Fri 24-Apr-20 08:47:43

Come off it sodapop, there were no racist sentiments in Brunette’s reservations about the sanity of those who voted him in and are still vociferously denying CV19. (Or indeed the fragrant, but bird brained Kelly Anne Conway who publicly seemed to think it had been preceded by CVs 1-18 gringrin )

MawB Fri 24-Apr-20 08:52:54

This is COVID-19, not COVID-1 folks, and so you would think the people charged with the World Health Organisation facts and figures would be on top of that .”
In case anybody missed it gringrin

sodapop Fri 24-Apr-20 09:04:21

I quote most Americans not those who voted for Trump.

Curlywhirly Fri 24-Apr-20 09:05:24

Sodapop what about the UK? Loads of jokes about the Irish and their intellect, the Scottish being mean, the Welsh and their relationship with sheep; of course we don't believe or agree with any of it, but it goes on. The fact is, not only did lots of Americans think Trump was marvellous and fit to be President; after his first term in office, they still do! Now that is definitely cause for concern, how could any American possibly support Trump, beggars belief.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Apr-20 09:08:00

I'm not sure what shocks and depresses me the most on this thread; that Trump is even more stupid than any of us thought possible or that a long established and respected poster has been pounced upon for alleged racism.

Marydoll Fri 24-Apr-20 09:09:59

Sodapop, why are you trying to make such make a big thing about this and implying that Brunette is racist? You know nothing about what kind of person she is.

The saying that Brunette used is a common one in Scotland.
Where were you when racist remarks were made about the Scots last year? I didn't see you making a fuss then.
Let it go and let's get on with the main point of the thread. .

Galaxy Fri 24-Apr-20 09:12:23

If you keep demonising his supporters he will win again. Its something the democrats haven't realised yet.
As for Trump I think it is becoming clearer that there are health issues there, I think in the future we will look back and wonder how on earth the situation was allowed to continue.

Iam64 Fri 24-Apr-20 09:16:18

How anyone can take aim at Brunette 10's comment, rather than at the Potus and those who support him is a mystery to me.
This man is extremely powerful, sorry I know I'm stating the obvious there but its truly frightening. He stands there day after day, ignoring social distancing rules, spouting total crap, being incredibly rude and aggressive in his mannerisms towards reporters, especially female reporters. He is a disgrace. I veer between recognising he is a personality disordered narcissist who is dissembling under the pressure of a virus he didn't expect on his watch and seriously wondering if he wants his country to fall apart. If it falls apart, does he think he can get rid of any liberal intellectual thinkers. That's the base that challenges him, doesn't vote for him, them and the black, hispanic etc
Look at those videos of his supporters, marching shoulder to shoulder demanding an end to social distancing, saying the virus is fake news etc, one thing seems clear. The black/other ethnic people photographed seem to be public servants, police officers, medical workers etc. They don't appear in the protest groups.

Elegran Fri 24-Apr-20 09:22:28

Odd how "not the full shilling" was jumped on but "certifiable" wasn't. I'd have thought that for a certifiable president to be elected to represent the nation, there must be a lot of certifiable voters who thought he was just like them.

MawB Fri 24-Apr-20 09:36:27

What really scared me about the demonstrators was that many seemed to be in full combat gear- guns, body armour etc -terrifying.
That so many are in denial is of course equally terrifying and they are amongst the most vocal, giving an impression that they are in the majority.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Apr-20 09:40:03

I saw this photo earlier this week and found it profoundly shocking. The USA seems to be on a self destruct mode.

grandMattie Fri 24-Apr-20 09:58:07

Are there no depths the Donald won’t plumb to get attention? It beggars belief!

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:01:18

Umm, American is not a race, it’s a nationality!

Houndi Fri 24-Apr-20 10:04:57

Trymp needs to be sectioned and i am afraid some of his supporters in the deep south will do this.As they all share the one family brain cell.The scientific advisor need to call him out but they won't as afraid losing their jobs

Houndi Fri 24-Apr-20 10:05:14

Mean Trump

Essex59 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:05:47

Yet more leftist drivel.
Politics shouldn't be allowed on here.
Trump2020

Scottiebear Fri 24-Apr-20 10:06:51

I watched him say it last night, with utter disbelief.

red1 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:10:51

Trumps poor mental health has been debated by leading shrinks for years.He has somehow seemed to dodge the issues.His promotion of anti malarial drugs( he had shares in the drug company) now disinfectant? It is worrying for sure,hopefully the usa folk will realise how dangerous he is and he gets removed from office.

cakey31 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:10:56

Words actually fail me!!!!