Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

There is alas no cure for stupidity

(158 Posts)
MawB Fri 24-Apr-20 07:19:25

US President Donald Trump has been lambasted by the medical community after suggesting research into whether coronavirus might be treated by injecting disinfectant into the body.
He also appeared to propose irradiating patients' bodies with UV light, an idea dismissed by a doctor at the briefing.
Another of his officials had moments earlier said sunlight and disinfectant were known to kill the infection.
Mr Trump's own public health agencies (unsurprisingly) warn against bleach as a medicine.

Aliceharper1 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:24:51

The man is a dangerous lunatic, let’s call it out for what it is
There is not an ounce of truth in anything he says
He is deranged They need to section him before he does any more harm because unfortunately there are some in America that will try this this

Annecan Fri 24-Apr-20 10:27:16

I think calling those who voted for him lunatics, just strengthens his voters views that they are only taken serious by this man. Unfortunately, it’s in attacking his voters and treating them with intellectual contempt, that will probably lead to him getting back in.

What is amazing is that he hasn’t got the virus, he is so gung ho about it

halfpint1 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:31:07

When I saw the pictures of gun toting protesters , I just
wondered who they thought they might shoot, Police?
Medical workers,Democrats? what justification is in their
heads?

Coconut Fri 24-Apr-20 10:33:36

This just about sums him up, it would be laughable but in his position, he is a danger to us all

Missiseff Fri 24-Apr-20 10:40:43

He's a d**k

Elegran Fri 24-Apr-20 10:40:58

Essex59 It is not a question of politics - in the UK we don't have any vote for or against Trump, so there is no political advantage in pointing out how inept he is. It is just commonsense.

The President of the USA - who is not supposed to gain financial advantage from his position - used it to promote a "treatment" for CoVid19 in which he had a financial interest, and which appears to have helped kill people who were given it. Then he tells his people that injecting disinfectant into their bloodstream is a cure! That will absolutely certainly kill anyone who tries it.

If anyone else did this, would you trust them with any important decisions?

Griselda Fri 24-Apr-20 10:44:58

It's a mystery to me how the people around him don't put him straight. It makes me think of those mediaeval monarchs who surrounded themselves with yes men. Or the doctors who advised/treated people like Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson whose doctors treat them in unethical ways.

b1zzle Fri 24-Apr-20 10:45:09

... and Boris who is still recovering from this dreadful pandemic actually put a telephone conversation with this man on his high priority list? Why?

maryhoffman37 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:46:09

He has such a low IQ.

Aepgirl Fri 24-Apr-20 10:49:15

This man is dangerous, and his dreadful statements should not be broadcast as there are some people who believe what he says.

jacq10 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:49:42

I have been following Trump's daily briefings on CNN around 11.30pm but gave up two nights ago. I just couldn't believe the rubbish he was spouting and the way he handled the reporters questions. I also don't understand how his "team" on the briefings with him who are, unlike him, educated academics and medical experts can carry on backing him!

Annaram1 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:50:39

If anyone tries this amazing cure or preventative treatment in America and they die, I wonder what their President will say?
"Fake news."

gran5up Fri 24-Apr-20 10:53:27

Remember Spitting Image with their slogan,"The President's brain is missing"? That was Reagan who was later diagnosed with Alzheimer's...

maggiemay2 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:54:29

He is a total buffoon. I watched the media address and if you watch Doctor Birx face, she is stunned. How she can continue to work for this narcissistic bully is beyond me. Now don't get me started of who the hell votes for him!

geekesse Fri 24-Apr-20 10:54:35

Flanders and Swann. A Song of Patriotic Prejudice

The English, the English, the English are best
I wouldn’t give tuppence for all of the rest.

The rottenest bits of these islands of ours
We’ve left in the hands of three unfriendly powers
Examine the Irishman, Welshman or Scot
You’ll find he’s a stinker, as likely as not.

The Scotsman is mean, as we’re all well aware
And bony and blotchy and covered with hair
He eats salty porridge, he works all the day
And he hasn’t got bishops to show him the way!

I wouldn’t give tuppence for all of the rest.
The Irishman now our contempt is beneath
He sleeps in his boots and he lies through his teeth

He blows up policemen, or so I have heard
And blames it on Cromwell and William the Third!
The English are noble, the English are nice,
And worth any other at double the price

The Welshman’s dishonest and cheats when he can
And little and dark, more like monkey than man
He works underground with a lamp in his hat
And he sings far too loud, far too often, and flat!

And crossing the Channel, one cannot say much
Of French and the Spanish, the Danish or Dutch
The Germans are German, the Russians are red,
And the Greeks and Italians eat garlic in bed!

The English are moral, the English are good
And clever and modest and misunderstood.

And all the world over, each nation’s the same
They’ve simply no notion of playing the game
They argue with umpires, they cheer when they’ve won
And they practice beforehand which ruins the fun!

So up with the English and down with the rest.
It’s not that they’re wicked or natuarally bad
It’s knowing they’re foreign that makes them so mad!

annodomini Fri 24-Apr-20 11:01:26

Of course, it's not even true that the majority of Americans voted for Trump. If it wasn't for that arcane Electoral College system, Hillary Clinton would be the President facing the challenge of Covid19. She had 48% of the popular vote as opposed to Trump's 47% - one million ahead.

Elegran Fri 24-Apr-20 11:05:49

Did anyone else read a science fiction story years ago about a child born with strange "powers" ? He could cause things to happen, just by wanting to. As a baby he could hurt his mother if his feeds were a bit late, or his nappy (diaper for US readers) wasn't comfortable. As he got older his powers got stronger, until he could strike people dead if they frustrated him, and cause objects, people, houses, towns and whole chunks of countryside to just vanish into nothingness, until he and his family and friends were living in a small village with a few fields around it, and nothing else on earth existed. Sometimes a few people would plan to prevent this , but he could also read their minds, so he foresaw their attempts to kill him (the only way to stop him) and they joined the majority in eternal banishment into space, or a grave under the cornfield (which was flourishing)

I found it disturbing even when I read it as fiction. As prophecy it is terrifying!

Craftycat Fri 24-Apr-20 11:07:57

I heard him on radio 4 news this morning- I could not believe it but on reflection it is not so surprising- that man is a total moron & the quicker he goes the better.
I still cannot believe the Americans were daft enough to put him in power.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:08:56

Actually it's quite frightening that this huge nation has such a huge Ass as it's leader!! Whatever next?

luluaugust Fri 24-Apr-20 11:20:29

Surely what he is suggesting was the kind of experiment carried out by Mengele.?

Saggi Fri 24-Apr-20 11:23:52

Isn't it time somebody in this terrified administration called ‘time’ on this man, and his toxic utterances. Surely it would only take 2 or 3 competent doctors to have him quietly put somewhere to ‘recover himself’ .....and then for him to drift out from under the public gaze.... bit like our own Prince Philip, who’s drifted away from our eyeline.

Maremia Fri 24-Apr-20 11:26:10

No excuses, but I think the Americans, who want an end to lockdown, have no financial or state or medical support with out having a job. We are much luckier, most places, in Europe. Yes, those guns are scary.

silvercollie Fri 24-Apr-20 11:27:41

I suppose it is just possible that Mr Trump's continual occupancy of the Presidential Chair is some what expedient to the real rulers of America.

The moment he is no longer necessary to the real Powers That Be, then he will be removed.

In the mean-time, he is a constant source of horrified amusement to the rest of us.

FarNorth Fri 24-Apr-20 11:28:30

geekesse, as a Scots child, I used to think that English people just bravely put up with being English.
I was astonished to realise that they were actually proud of being English.

On the subject of Trump, his reasoning and method of speaking seem like those of a badly behaved child of around 5-6 years old.

FarNorth Fri 24-Apr-20 11:32:12

Yet more leftist drivel.
Politics shouldn't be allowed on here.
Trump2020

confused Genuinely confused why anyone would say this.