Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Rise of po-faced moralising?

(82 Posts)
geekesse Tue 28-Apr-20 21:20:02

I’ve been following threads here and discussions elsewhere, and I’m seeing something rather curious. Whilst we are all required by law, common sense and care for others to follow lockdown rules meticulously, some people are turning it into a kind of moral crusade against any kind of pleasure. A couple of examples:

— Some TV doctor has said people should not wash cars, even on their own properties and observing social distancing. Now, assuming cars are on people’s own property, and those washing are observing social distancing, what possible reason can there be for making it morally wrong?

— There have been many who seem to think that it’s better to insist people take daily exercise tramping the streets instead of walking round a local park or wood, even if both are accessible on foot. Again, assuming social distancing is rigorously observed, I can see no virtue in walking round dull surroundings instead of lovely ones.

I have this theory that the pandemic makes people feel powerless. So they are starting to apply an irrational and medieval kind of superstition in their thinking which goes something like this: the pandemic is some kind of ‘punishment’ and to make it go away, everybody has to suffer and deprive themselves of all sources of pleasure as a penance. If everyone suffers enough, the virus will be driven away. I’m fascinated to observe how many people who reject traditional religion seem to fall into this pattern of thinking.

Goodness knows, life is hard enough for those who are fearful, lonely and frightened. I’d like to see us all wishing everyone what joy they can squeeze out of life just now, as long as they don’t put themselves or anyone else at risk of infection, and as long as they remain within the law.

Starblaze Wed 29-Apr-20 10:34:50

It just feels like the usual tactic. Have us blaming each other for everything so that the attention isn't on them

notanan2 Wed 29-Apr-20 10:47:08

Thats a cop out starblaze
This is human nature. We dont need a "them" to turn on each other, we never have.

Starblaze Wed 29-Apr-20 10:57:12

True but people will take advantage of it regardless

Rosalyn69 Wed 29-Apr-20 11:18:56

I do find people moralising - on here too.
It brings out the holier than thou brigade all over the place. As for naming and shaming - words fail me. It’s like shopping Jewish people to the nazis in WW2.
And I don’t clap. I live in the middle of nowhere and would feel stupid. It does not mean I don’t support them.

Tangerine Wed 29-Apr-20 11:27:57

Yes, some people are behaving like school sneaks. I cannot see why people shouldn't wash a car on their own property.

Parties and BBQs and other big get-togethers are obviously wrong but, if you see someone go into a house, you do not necessarily know the circumstances of the person who lives in it.

I believe in lockdown and keep to the rules strictly but I also believe I have read that the Police do not wish to be bothered over unnecessary and silly little things to do with lockdown as they have a lot to do at the moment.

I drive my car to deliver medication and food to elderly people and get my own shopping but that is all.

allium Wed 29-Apr-20 12:09:17

Then guy next door is having building work done. I had plumber in yesterday. The car and I go out from time to time to shop for elderly relative. So be it. I don't clap either.

Marydoll Wed 29-Apr-20 12:18:49

I have mentioned this on another thread.

A neighbour reported the people in my cul de sac to the police, for not observing Covid regulations.
He informed the police, family were visiting myself and my neighbours.
What he did not know, is a number of us are sheilding and family were bringing food and medication. ?
The police, went around everyone checking and were very supportive and apologetic, when they realised the truth.

Life is difficult enough, without having to deal with this nastiness. My DIL is now terrified to come down with shopping, as is my neighbour's daughter, as he is always spying on us.

GillT57 Wed 29-Apr-20 12:20:42

I have made a few online orders for vegetable seeds, small plants and stuff from our local garden centre. They have a very clear statement about their covid19 precautions, are very busy delivering orders sensibly, locally. They had the stock already and it would have been composted had it not been sold online. Can't see any problem with that, it may help a local family owned business to survive this situation. I do admit to some confusion about the rules/interpretation of them regarding open spaces. Example; there was a report locally of a couple being moved on by the Police as a result of a call made; the couple, who lived in a flat, were sitting on the grass, bang in the middle of a huge open space, no other people near, just two of them who lived in the same household, no picnic, no bbq, just sitting with a takeaway coffee. I cannot see why this was a contravention of sensible distancing.

felice Wed 29-Apr-20 12:48:00

The Thursday evening clapping happens here too, but is not as 'obligatory' as it seems to have become in the UK.
We have not done it but we have heard car horns etc.
We do get lots of music played from windows and balconies and an Opera singer friend has been singing to his neighbours on Thursday evenings.
Off for a walk with DGS, Deli today as he wants to sleep here tonight and we fancy something different for dinner.
Stay safe everyone, I feel a lot better today after all the support I received the other day, thanks.

growstuff Wed 29-Apr-20 12:58:18

Are the so-called do-gooders the same group of people who know what people "on benefits" have in their shopping trolleys, how much they smoke/drink and how wide their TV is? Or is this a different group of snoops?

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 13:05:33

Perhaps we're not allowed to sit down when we're out and about.

"Keep moving, keep moving, sitting is not part of your one hour's exercise schedule."

3nanny6 Wed 29-Apr-20 13:21:21

I heard something on a programme saying take your exercise on the open streets rather than walking in the usual dog field or tree area. I thought this silly as what harm is there to walk in the usual doggy field when out with the dog.
I still walk in the dog field and then some of the walk on the pavement.

Last week I thought I would take a walk with the dog up the street and then go to the doggy field. On the walk my dog was having a sniff and a few wees and so I was walking slowly and had to watch a youngish couple in full view leaning against a van cuddled up and hands all over each other and snogging the faces off each other. This in full sight of parents walking along with their children. I really could not care less what young couples do but when your getting up to that business do it in private.

Anyone from the morale brigade leave me alone I take a 5 minute drive to the local green area and trees and walk my dog and I do not have to watch young lovers getting their amorous moves on in face view of myself.

felice Wed 29-Apr-20 13:22:30

That is the same here except for disabled, Pregnant, and elderly who can sit for up to 30 minutes.
Although you can go out for more than one hour and more than once a day.

ExD Wed 29-Apr-20 13:39:39

We live on a farm and I can see no problem with anyone walking along a footpath across a field with a dog (on a lead if there is livestock about). However, I would appreciate it if they would wipe the gates so I could be less concerned that DH didn't pick up an infection when he opens them himself later. It's not difficult to carry a small pack of wipes in your pocket along with your poo bags.
(Oh and it'd be nice if said bags were taken home).
While I'm at it, why can't people sit in the sun for while, if they've no garden why not sit on the grass and enjoy the view? Surely no one could think that was wrong?
I don't live near the sea, but why can't people sunbathe on the beach as long as they are 2 meters away from other families?
Were we actually told NOT to sit on a bench? If so, why?

SirChenjin Wed 29-Apr-20 13:46:42

Presumably because if one person can sit or sunbathe on the grass then everyone else should be able to. It becomes very hard to manage social distancing if 100 people decide to lie on the same stretch of grass - easier for everyone to understand ‘no lying on the grass’ as opposed to your can lie on the ground but make sure you keep 2 metres away from everyone at all times and that includes walking to and from your spot past the other 99 people’ .

growstuff this is a complete different group of snoopers - quite obviously left wingers who are up there with the ‘elf n safety and PC brigades.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 13:48:51

Were we actually told NOT to sit on a bench? If so, why?
Yes, a woman in Bristol who rested on a bench when out for a walk was told to get up and move on by the police.
And many benches have red and white tape across them, just in case anyone should sit down, presumably too near to someone else sitting on there.

Who would do that? If you saw someone sitting on a bench you'd move on and find an empty one. Or if someone looked as if they might sit on 'your' bench you'd get up and move on.

I think I'll order one of those sticks that turns into a seat for when I'm allowed out again.
If my backside has not expanded too much by then.

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Apr-20 13:53:29

Speaking of taking bagged poo home ExD we take our dogs on a lovely walk an 8 minute car drive away so they can both be let off their leads, and keep seeing used poo bags hanging from trees and gatesshock. I mean what is wrong with some peopleangry.

SueDonim Wed 29-Apr-20 13:54:58

I remember the posts about how sending cards was endangering lives. That’s a ‘purity spiral’ I referred to earlier. I’m about to mail four (yes, four sad) sympathy letters. At these times, a phone call or email just doesn’t cut it.

My dd has just started work in a hospital as a newly qualified doctor. She says that apart from the CV wards, which aren’t themselves that busy, it’s like a ghost town and staff are getting bored. On some wards there are more staff than patients!

Marydoll Wed 29-Apr-20 14:04:10

Someone has been leaving bags of dog poo on the fence beside our house for weeks.
They seem to be out early in the morning, as we can't catch them.
How irresponsible! Who do they think cleans it up? ?

notanan2 Wed 29-Apr-20 14:14:04

Re post: post workers really are struggling with the double whammy of increased demand plus being slowed down by trying to put distancing measures in place so people should be considerate and think twice about what they post

Re sitting in parks/beaches: some people can only walk short distances at a time and need breaks, others spend most of the day in enclosed small homes and need air & vit D. I really dont see the problem with sitting on your own picnic blanket or stool. Can see why public benches might be a problem

pollyperkins Wed 29-Apr-20 14:22:10

Well I’m amazed. This is the first I've heard of any unpleasantness regarding the current situation - it certainly doesn't happen where I live. Everybody has been pleasant and helpful , many picking up shopping and prescriptions for those who are self isolating. Most of us come out to clap in Thursdays but not all by any means and I've not heard any criticism. The village and local town facebook pages have been friendly and helpful too - in fact Ive never seen any unpleasantness on facebook at all. The only nastiness Ive seen has been on gransnet Im afraid , where everyone is anonymous.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 14:25:49

It doesn't happen here either.

Although I had heard of the couple of incidents where the police were a bit over-zealous. It's probably better than not doing anything.

Starblaze Wed 29-Apr-20 14:26:08

pollyperkinsit's not any in my village and its the same ones who always moan about everything anyway so because no one listens they get louder and louder

Starblaze Wed 29-Apr-20 14:26:23

Not many that should say

pollyperkins Wed 29-Apr-20 14:29:49

Ive seen complaints on local facebook page about footpaths being closed or people speeding through town but no- one has been ‘named and shamed’