Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Rise of po-faced moralising?

(82 Posts)
geekesse Tue 28-Apr-20 21:20:02

I’ve been following threads here and discussions elsewhere, and I’m seeing something rather curious. Whilst we are all required by law, common sense and care for others to follow lockdown rules meticulously, some people are turning it into a kind of moral crusade against any kind of pleasure. A couple of examples:

— Some TV doctor has said people should not wash cars, even on their own properties and observing social distancing. Now, assuming cars are on people’s own property, and those washing are observing social distancing, what possible reason can there be for making it morally wrong?

— There have been many who seem to think that it’s better to insist people take daily exercise tramping the streets instead of walking round a local park or wood, even if both are accessible on foot. Again, assuming social distancing is rigorously observed, I can see no virtue in walking round dull surroundings instead of lovely ones.

I have this theory that the pandemic makes people feel powerless. So they are starting to apply an irrational and medieval kind of superstition in their thinking which goes something like this: the pandemic is some kind of ‘punishment’ and to make it go away, everybody has to suffer and deprive themselves of all sources of pleasure as a penance. If everyone suffers enough, the virus will be driven away. I’m fascinated to observe how many people who reject traditional religion seem to fall into this pattern of thinking.

Goodness knows, life is hard enough for those who are fearful, lonely and frightened. I’d like to see us all wishing everyone what joy they can squeeze out of life just now, as long as they don’t put themselves or anyone else at risk of infection, and as long as they remain within the law.

Sussexborn Wed 29-Apr-20 14:31:17

In fairness the manager of the local waterworks was interviewed on tv and said that half his staff were sick with the virus and the other half working round the clock to ensure the water was safe to drink. They were also sleeping onsite as they didn’t want to infect their own families. He asked that people conserved water where possible.

Our local Facebook pages have done an enormous amount of good helping people any way they can and letting people know when shops/businesses are open.

The actual road we live in is the least friendly I have ever experienced. I’ve lost track of time and not joined in the clapping TWICE now so no doubt will be next in the stocks.

notanan2 Wed 29-Apr-20 15:01:28

I think all round its good to realise that the stuff that lands in our lap comes through others hard work.

In order for us to have what we need to stay in someone else has to go out and make it happen.

I think awareness about whats happening in post depots and water treatment facilities etc is a different and more valid concern than calling the police because someone went out in their car twice in one week

LullyDully Wed 29-Apr-20 18:05:27

Lovely idea about the cake crafty.?

notanan2 Fri 01-May-20 08:03:01

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/uk-police-receive-200000-calls-from-lockdown-snitchers

Coolio007 Fri 01-May-20 08:28:58

Blimey, what a read this thread is!

Our fines here for breaking the law of Civil Disobedience is between 670 and 730 euros. As this is nearly as much as the monthly salary here you don’t see a lot of problems. That said there have been fines. We are on serious curfew now 1/5-3/5 as it’s a bank holiday weekend so we are only allowed out locally. Maybe, if the fines were heavier in the UK then people would think twice.

Hetty58 Fri 01-May-20 08:33:03

Yes Coolio007, £30 is a pathetic amount for a fine, just a little slap on the wrist.