Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Starting to become agoraphobic in lock down

(89 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 04-May-20 13:32:36

Is anyone else starting to become agoraphobic during lock down? Whilst I miss seeing family, friends and going to various groups, lately I have started to feel that the longer this has gone I feel less inclined to go out even for shopping or exercise. This is unusual for me, not sure if it is because I have become accustomed to being indoors or if secretly I actually quite enjoy it.

notgoneyet Tue 05-May-20 15:28:26

How lucky you are in where you're living, Quizqueen. There have been 1,151 where I am. Thankfully, it's been slowing down to maybe 10-12 a day for the last few days.

FarNorth Tue 05-May-20 15:40:22

I'm not getting agoraphobic about going out in the open, with few people around.
I am getting nervous about the idea of 'normal' meetings with friends and groups for hobbies and interests, such as we have always had.

FarNorth Tue 05-May-20 15:42:36

quizqueen, what would your measure of success for lockdown have been - if you think that the achievement of zero deaths in your area is not it?

c6girls Tue 05-May-20 15:46:34

I had a split with my partner in Dec 2018 after 16 years together and still feeling the effects, anxiety, depression (although not diagnosed) but having the kids with me has been a blessing and I don't really want it to end really apart from missing my older children and grandchildren. There's been less stress in the house even with homeschooling and both girls(12,14) are getting on so well. I still go shopping after my two days at work and don't make specials trips, and enjoy evening walks to avoid others.

willa45 Tue 05-May-20 15:48:04

Not sure what to call it, but whenever I hear talk about 'opening up', I feel dread in the pit of my stomach. Conversely, when I hear, "... 'lock down' extended until....."
I am both grateful and relieved!

It's not that I don't sympathize with those who can't work from home and must venture out in order to earn a paycheck....I get it.

The resulting quagmire however, is that in many places (such as the US), the risk of venturing out in the midst of this pandemic will only feed the virus further and more people will end up getting sick or even dying.

Until adequate (widespread) testing/contact tracing, a proven remedy or an effective vaccine becomes available, there is no upside to this. "Opening up" will definitely save jobs and businesses in the short term, but will come at a much greater cost .......the loss of human lives!

Franbern Tue 05-May-20 15:48:18

I have continued throughout to do a short car ride for my weekly Sainsbury shop. Never feel in any sort of danger there. Come back the long way round, so this also gives my car a once-a-week run out.
Other days, provided it is dry usually get out for a trundle on my mobility scooter around park, or along Promenade.
Was delighted when B&Q opened their store and was able to get to garden centre there - again, felt totally safe, they have put in such good social distancing controls and safety features for staff and customers alike.
Yesterday I was able, once again, to trundle round my local Wilko - no queues, few people there - again felt quite safe and it was nearly a little bit of normality
Have found myself getting quite lazy being in my flat so much of the time, passing time with on-line course, jigsaws, and using both the television and computer much too much.
Today had a lovely zoom meet-up with some U3A people, am looking forward - probably many months away yet - when the different groups and coffee mornings re-start.
But what I am most missing is being able to have people visiting me.
Will welcome this happily as soon as permitted.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 05-May-20 16:10:11

I was relieved when on retirement could dispense with the meeting /greeting scene which was part of my job. I wanted a quiet life not entirely with late H approval but feel this wanting type of life is seeing me through what is now a must not do situation.I go to bed / get up when I like.Where am I allowed to go ? I can get food/prescription delivery don't need to go out and the only person I see through my window, not meet, is the guy who helps with my garden and left to do what needs doing. Reluctant to go for a walk on the beach ?Might meet some one I know ? .
No doubt not alone in this situation my question is what are the likes of myself becoming .Will I want to go out once restrictions are lifted ?

Judy54 Tue 05-May-20 16:24:30

Thank you Tillybelle I am enjoying the quieter life at home and don't feel I am developing a phobia, just expressed myself badly. It just feels good not to have the pressures of every day life and to slow down a bit. Jaxie it is understandable how you are feeling right now, please do talk to your GP about pain relief.

magshard20 Tue 05-May-20 16:44:03

We had a lovely surprise in the post today, a beautiful card, sent by our eldest daughter and granddaughter who live a distance from us and we haven't seen since February (although speak on phone daily) it had lots of pictures of them on the front and inside was printed, we are missing seeing you and having hugs and kisses, I admit it made me cry, but good tears, we miss them so much!! We just have to get on with life as best we can, we are all in the same boat, and as long as we don't end lockdown too soon we will all survive to tell the tale. Keep safe and well everyone xx

Missgran Tue 05-May-20 19:05:17

I agree I feel down if I do not go out for a walk we avoid crowds and do not go to supermarkets but manage to go for walks in fields and wood

TrendyNannie6 Tue 05-May-20 22:52:21

I’m not really having a problem staying in as high risk, I must admit I do feel a teeny bit envious when I see people walking by, but I am looking forward to gradually going out and about whenever this is all over, I won’t be rushing out though, I will be very cautious for many months afterwards,

jan273 Fri 08-May-20 00:32:59

Didn't bother me at first - never really went out much except to supermarket. After 6 weeks I'm getting to feel a bit stir crazy. Can't bother getting dressed, cooking, or much else really. Speak to kids on phone and miss seeing them and grandkids. Don't think they realise how bad of a situation this is.
Worst worry I remember having was hiv epidemic. Then there was swine flu, bse, Ebola,, sars.
Nothing in my lifetime has brought the whole world to a halt

Lizbethann55 Sat 09-May-20 17:57:42

I am 65 and work in two libraries. One is a short walk away, the other is a bus ride (or a 50 minute walk). At the moment I am furloughed. I love my job and miss my regulars. I gather in Wales they are talking about opening the libraries and tips. I must admit that for all I miss it, I am really apprehensive about the thought of going back .