Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I predict another rise of covid

(523 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-May-20 11:14:22

In about 3-4 weeks time .

This idiot government is losing control.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 10-May-20 12:21:12

I don't know about those specific areas growstuff but what is shocking is that people from poorer areas of the country have a 30% higher risk of dying than those in the wealthiest areas.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-May-20 12:25:33

WHO figures. Our government has never had control has it? This is the result.

GagaJo Sun 10-May-20 12:30:00

Do we all remember the posters on GN a couple of months ago who protested 'But we're allowed to!' in relation to going out, beauty treatments etc.

That is exactly what is happening to the general public now. They've read the MSM saying lockdown would be eased and believed it. Where do we think the MSM got that from? They didn't pluck it out of the air. Why do the police not have the ability to impose HUGE fines? They're currently toothless. Why have the army not been drafted in to help take control? Because our government either don't want to OR are afraid to (their wealthy donors want us out of lockdown to rebuild their lost income).

The only word that fits in relation to the management of the situation in the UK is 'MISMANAGEMENT'.

Cummins needs removing. I don't like our politicians but I think even they could do a better job than Cummings is currently doing.

This is going to be our reality for at least a year I think. Three months might have done it IF we had a strict rule to stay in, no exceptions. Too late now. We are ungoverned and drifting in the middle of a pandemic. A lot of us on here are not going to make it though.

maddyone Sun 10-May-20 12:33:52

I’m not sure any government in this country would have behaved differently, but I’ll never know that.
I’ve said it on a number of threads but I’m quite happy to say it again. Major mistakes were made in this country because a) we left lockdown far too late b) we didn’t close our borders c) we didn’t insist on proper quarantining of repatriated citizens d) we failed with testing e) we allowed huge gatherings to take place freely.
I’m sure there are lots of other things done wrongly, but in my opinion the above were what has lead to the current situation.
However do not believe all you read. We have counted our deaths differently than most other countries. Many countries do not include care home or community deaths. Other countries didn’t test community deaths, much as we were doing until recently. Population density is different in different countries. We have a high BAME population compared with many other countries and sadly, for reasons as yet unknown, BAME people are disproportionately affected by Covid19.
There’s a lot we don’t yet know about this virus. I’m very willing to criticise the government for the actions, or lack of actions they took, but all factors should be considered, and we are often not comparing like with like.

maddyone Sun 10-May-20 12:38:18

GagaJo
You are right, and I didn’t include it, our lockdown wasn’t strictly enforced and it absolutely should have been. The police were powerless and ignored. The Armed Forces weren’t called in to enforce the lockdown, and in my opinion they should have been.
The needs of business should never be put above human lives.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 12:38:19

Greeneyedgirl Here's a list of the worst affected areas.

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/09/coronavirus-uk-latest-deaths-confirmed-cases-which-regions-hardest-hit

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-May-20 12:38:22

maddy how long do we continue to find excuses for this government whilst this carnage continues? I accept the WHO figures as near the truth and whichever way you look at it the U.K. has one of the highest, if not the highest mortality rates in the world.

The world is looking on in horror at what is happening here,- look at the foreign reporting on the matter.

It is mismanagement of the highest order. Even the right wing press are getting fidgety.

3nanny6 Sun 10-May-20 12:39:20

Liker some of the posters I also despair about the new message that will be broadcast tonight telling us "To be Alert" but not stay home and save lives. Why indeed are Scotland ,Wales, and Ireland the ones that want to keep to "Stay Home" but we have to get a different message. This is all making our government look like fools. This message has all been pre-recorded as well so could have easily gone out on Thursday like the normal bulletin.

To me the government wanted to "jolly" us all along on a Bank holiday V.E, day of celebration and fun. That's all very well and I saw parties around my area where some social distanced and some did not. There was a party in one garden for some younger people and they were all drinking and then it got out of hand and fighting broke out and some arrests were made. Also there was news in our nearby area of two more Covid 19 deaths.
The situation needs expert handling and we are not getting it from the government. I would possibly expect to see a second wave of covid also.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 10-May-20 12:39:45

What about a poor country like Greece maddyone?

I feel ashamed of the way our government has handled this crisis.

It is quite obvious we cannot crudely compare other countries, but it doesn't mean it isn't possible to make proper scientific and demographic comparisons.

GrandmaMoira Sun 10-May-20 12:40:30

Growstuff - death rates in London are much higher than in those areas.

maddyone Sun 10-May-20 12:40:37

Actually I agree with much of what you say Whitewave but the data must be collected in the same way. It isn’t.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 12:42:32

It's going to be interesting. The latest idea is that some areas will have restrictions lifted while others won't.

Looking at the list, many of the places worst affected are the "new" Conservative constituencies. If the (already fragile) economy in those areas isn't allowed to restart, the government is going to have to pour billions into the areas to cover unemployment, failed businesses and improved healthcare. It promised it was going to invest in them anyway. It's going to have to - and more - if it's going to retain its seats in the next election.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-May-20 12:43:49

No it isn’t but I am certain that the indication that the U.K. is the worse in the world is totally accurate. We must not allow ourselves to be in denial over that.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 12:44:30

GrandmaMoira Not according to that list which was published yesterday. The only London borough in the top five is Brent. The top four are all in the North East.

Here it is again:

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/09/coronavirus-uk-latest-deaths-confirmed-cases-which-regions-hardest-hit

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 12:45:43

The figures are from Public Health England.

MayBee70 Sun 10-May-20 12:50:32

I found a link yesterday that told me how many Covid deaths there had been in my area. Thankfully very low. Then a friend mentioned the low death rate in their area. It then dawned on me that they were quite affluent neighbourhoods. Bit of a light bulb moment. That’s when it dawned on me that, as well as finding a vaccine we must also make sure that everyone in this country (and the world) has to be able to live a much healthier life. Our health depends on the health and well-being of everyone.

maddyone Sun 10-May-20 12:51:44

If care home deaths and deaths in the community are not included in many other countries death totals, how can anyone believe what they read? If only hospital deaths are counted, this makes supposed totals completely invalid.

Pantglas2 Sun 10-May-20 12:53:15

Any one know why Belgium isn’t on that table (they have the most deaths per million of pop)?

grandMattie Sun 10-May-20 12:54:33

Birth has 100% chance of death!
Whatever the govt does, there will be a clamour of criticism. Remember the herd immunity? Everyone was against it. Now that lockdown might just be loosened a little, and the population treated as grownups, there will be a tidal wave of critics. Mark my words.

glammanana Sun 10-May-20 12:55:08

I have just heard on our local news that Police in London are finding it very difficult to Police the parks as so many people are out picnicking in large numbers.
I'm sure in a couple of weeks this virus will peak again and all the hard work wasted.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 12:56:04

Errrm, quite, MayBee! It certainly seems to be a possible factor. Knowsley, which is number 7 on the list, is one of the most deprived areas in the country.

Another possibility, I guess, is whether people in certain areas are less alert about social distancing (I don't know the answer to that one) or don't have the opportunity to keep away from others.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-May-20 12:56:33

Some other figures to dispute

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 12:56:59

Does anyone really believe the figures from some other countries, eg those from India?
Really?

Yes, Belgium is worse than anywhere.

We will no doubt find out a lot more when more research has been done on genetics and other factors.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 12:57:57

Wow! I can tell you're one of life's eternal optimists grandMattie. hmm I think we all know that death is inevitable, but most of us would like to delay it for as long as possible.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 13:00:37

BTW The government has never seriously deviated from the herd immunity theory. In comparison with some other countries, "lockdown" has been lax and we have been trusted to behave like grown ups. Unfortunately, some people have shown that they haven't grow out of their petulant teenager phase.