Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Paid nannies OK to look after a child in thir own home real nannies are not!

(63 Posts)
twinprimes Mon 11-May-20 22:54:35

See page 30 of the gov guidance under the subheading 'schools'.

AGAA4 Tue 12-May-20 16:47:52

Any grandparent taking payment for childcare has to be registered with their local authority.
All professional carers are registered.

AGAA4 Tue 12-May-20 16:54:15

Meant to say apart from nannies who can register if they wish.
If I was employing one I would want one who had registered.

kittylester Tue 12-May-20 16:56:52

Can my cleaner come back - pretty please! I promise not kiss or hug her.

notanan2 Tue 12-May-20 17:08:18

All professional carers are registered

Now actually its not that straightforward and in part depends on whether you childmind in the childs own home or your own amongst other things.

Not all nannies are REQUIRED to be OFSTEAD registered as they work im the childs own home but if they arent you cant claim childcare vouchers to pay for them.

However OFSTEAD registered nannies usually want full time contracts. If you work part time you might not have the option of an Ofstead nanny.

Even if you take children into your own home for money there are exceptions. Certain types of wrap around care is exempt. E.g. if you take children in the morning an hour before school run.

trisher Wed 13-May-20 14:28:56

kittylester your cleaner an come back but don't let your children in the house. They have to sit in the garden!

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 16:19:41

Of course, if any of your children or grandchildren are good at cleaning does that mean they can come and clean for you?
Except in Wales or Scotland where we have to do our own or remain mucky.

trisher Wed 13-May-20 22:10:32

Apparently an estate agent can come and show people round your house. So if your relatives are estate agents you can invite them. Except in Wales and Scotland of course (but then you'd have to clean the house as well!)

Chewbacca Wed 13-May-20 22:16:07

Alternatively you could put your house on the market for sale and arrange your family to come and view it at half past 4 on Sunday, then take it back off the market until the following weekend! Utter madness!

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 22:52:04

Surely it's about using some common sense? Anyone who has seen how things are on Covid wards would surely want to avoid going there? Age is a high risk factor and at some other have to recognise that, especially in the next few weeks.

Wendy010 Mon 18-May-20 15:04:02

Here's a thing... we have been living safely for 10 weeks now. My daughter rang to say nursery is reopening and her employer has said she has to return to work. So, oldest goes to nursery but youngest doesn't. I normally care for her in collaboration with granny2. Daughter and partner and kids have all been staying safe too but now will be exposed to other kids and adults. I have to have the little one or daughter may lose her job. I therefore now have to go from safety to what feels like being quite exposed in the next 2 weeks. I'm not a wimpy kid but I do feel very nervous. Daughter feels incredible guilt too. Its thrown us completely. We'd planned in our heads we wouldn't have to tackle this until September. Can anyone reassure me??

gillybob Mon 18-May-20 15:14:42

Oh absolutely LadyGracie Thryveill have had a nanny arranged months ahead and now Carrie will be tired of doing it all herself .

On the other hand my DD us being hounded into going back to work . They refuse to furlough her ( as they want her back ) and yet I am not allowed to provide the childcare as I normally would .

gillybob Mon 18-May-20 15:15:04

They will have had ....