Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - on parole!

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Sun 31-May-20 14:37:15

Welcome to all on the shielded list and those not going out (much) .

dragonfly46 Tue 30-Jun-20 15:44:59

I love your picture Bradfordlass I too now venture out without wig or hat. It is amazing how little I care how I look these days.

Pleased to hear your DH is picking up again Panache. Chemo really is hard.

A trip to the Botanic garden sounds wonderful Grammaretto.

Although we are 10 miles from Leicester we are mindful that the virus is still virulent around here and as I spent last Monday and Tuesday in the hospital in the centre of the town I have been taking my temperature every day. I sprayed perfume around this morning and was relieved to find I could still smell it!!

Missedout Tue 30-Jun-20 20:57:08

Just reporting in again. I had a phone call from my GP practice nurse yesterday with a request to attend the surgery to have some bloods taken today (at the request of my immunologist after a phone consultation). So I put on my wet gear and walked to the surgery. I could have driven but my car could do with a proper journey, a trip to the surgery wouldn't have even slightly warmed the engine.

I then stood and waited in the staff car park and put on a face mask for the first time. I hadn't realised that my glasses would steam up so much and took them off. While I waited, an elderly gentleman was shown out of the door by the practice nurse. There was a steep ramp and he had a NHS walking frame with wheels and no brakes. It was extremely dodgy! He was hanging on to the railing with one hand and the walking frame with the other. My instinct was to go and help him as he struggled but I realised I would be far too close. I also saw that he was being watched by his 3 friends (and a dog) who were sitting in a car together, waiting for him. Is it me? Why didn't they help him?

After the nurse had finished trying to trap my ducking and diving veins, I decided to walk back home wearing the mask to see how it felt. No-one gave me a second look.

The fact that I'm telling you in such detail about such a trivial event shows how badly I need to get out. Perhaps this will be read around cocoa time, it should have a soporific effect.

I wish you all a peaceful night and that the Dreamkeepers remain more hopeful.

Doodle Tue 30-Jun-20 21:15:35

Hello nfk nice to hear from you again. I agree with all you say. This lockdown gang are a marvellous bunch and have considerable health problems to deal with.
nfk and missedout my son thinks he had the virus in November/December. Hasn’t been tested so we don’t know for sure but he thinks it’s likely due to his travelling.
panache you have no idea how much pleasure it gives me to see you posting. I’m so pleased MrP is feeling a little better. That lifts the spirits. Please pass on my good wishes to him. You too on new medication. Hope it helps. Hope you both have a restorative sleep tonight and gain in strength.
dragonfly lovely to hear from you too. That’s a good idea with the perfume. DH takes his temperature once a week now. He did it twice a day for the first 10 weeks of lockdown and his peak flow for asthma. After we bought a oximeter he did that reading too. It made us feel better knowing what his ‘norm’ was in case something happened. Hope you keep safe and well.
missedout glad you are having your blood tests. DH was a bit surprised when his constant wanted him to have his bloods done. He assumed during lockdown they wouldn’t bother. Still, it was reassuring to have them done and see that his blood is still ok and his medication remained the same.
Sounds as though you were well protected. The poor chap coming down the ramp. Sounds a bit dangerous. Glad he made it without harm. Extra cocoa in your mug tonight for a good nights sleep.?
marydoll I read on the GM thread you are still waiting for your new treatment to provide some benefit. Hope it works soon and you feel better. Did they give you any idea when you could expect some improvement?
Sleep well all.
P.S We ate some of our frozen mandarin segments and grapes today. They were good. ?

Mamissimo Tue 30-Jun-20 22:42:01

Lovely to hear that you are both seeing a small easement Panache and equally reassuring to hear from Missedout that your glasses fog up too!

The last time I went to the hospital for drug therapy I popped in my mask and immediately fogged up....they brought me the routine Covid form to fill out but without my glasses I couldn’t read it. I think I’m going to look for something suitable for goggle wearers...there must be something or the NHS staff wouldn’t be able to work!

Thank you all for your understanding yesterday- my DD picked up on my grump and arrived this morning with my two DGDs for a flying distanced visit....it was raining so we stood and talked to the horses at the end of the garden in the drizzle. The girls didn’t seem to mind and it did the trick in cheering me up.

I hope everyone has a good night
Sleep tight

Grammaretto Tue 30-Jun-20 23:27:08

It is cocoa time!

We had a lovely sunny day here today for a change so the trip to the Botanic Gardens was perfect. When we got home there was a delivery for DH from DD. (father's day/birthday) It was a beautiful rose bush in a container so we have time to find a place for it in the garden. It has a very nice perfume so no worries about the covid-19!

It is a worry about the spike in Leicester though. Keep safe Dragonfly . I worry about my family in Nottingham too.

I liked reading about your blood session Missedout . Not dull at all! It must have been hard watching the poor man slipping about with the frame.

How lovely to see your family Mamissimo What a difference a day makes.

Panache I hope you have an even better day tomorrow.
and that MaryDoll is improving too

BradfordLass Good luck with your technology and good luck with your efforts on behalf of your friend Rangi.

I shall see if I can find a photo from today.

Grammaretto Tue 30-Jun-20 23:29:34

PS Good wishes to our wonderful Guv'nor too. better keep in their good books

Doodle Wed 01-Jul-20 00:09:20

mamissimo what a lovely visit from your DD and grandchildren. Best way in the world to cheer you up. Shame it was raining but from what you said it didn’t seem to matter.
Glad you are feeling a bit brighter, ?
grammaretto the flowers in that photo are beautiful. If they are anything to go by it must have been a most enjoyable visit.
How did your DHs feet cope?
I have been whizzing round the place with my new toy. My little hand held vacuum cleaner. I am so pleased with it. I have quite a lot of hair and more than usual at the moment as it hasn’t been cut since lockdown. It seems to fall out all over the place, on the dressing table, in the bathroom, on the floor. I think I must be moulting. Today I have vacuumed it all up quick and easy. I think I could probably weave a rug with it if I collected enough ?
Sleep well all of you ?

Dreamkeeper Wed 01-Jul-20 10:32:37

It certainly helps ease these old burdens of ours when we hear of someone feeling a tad better,and again we all seem in agreement about those steaming specs when wearing a mask.
I swear these are the little "trials" sent to try our patience to the bitter end.

Indeed I can well understand how each one of us finds these first steps very odd,it is almost like a new babe toddling for the first time!

Life continues to be very much up and down,it did help my dear one when his clinical nurse `phoned him whilst on holiday...............these odd little extras mean so very much.
Still feeling devoid of inners!

The greyness of early morning is giving way to partial blue skies and sunshine,dare we hope for a sun filled afternoon?

Best wishes to you all,have yourselves a good day,keep safe.

Doodle Wed 01-Jul-20 11:34:26

panach that’s a caring touch from your DHs nurse. Hope he is feeling a little better today and you too. Are you managing to go for a little stroll in the garden or are you not going out at the moment? I hope you have some sun this afternoon it always lifts the spirits.
The weather can’t make up its mind here at the moment. Overcast one minute and sunny the next.
We went for a late walk yesterday as I was busy in the afternoon, and it was really nice. Not too many about and very mild. We took a chance and walked by the river and managed to avoid lots of people. Quite a few out fishing now that the fishing season has started.
No deliveries today which means no food washing so a day for a bit of housework and perhaps some sewing.
Hope you all have a good day. ?

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jul-20 12:56:09

It's a horrid day here and I am feeling very sad because our DC are very ross with us for firstly going out when we are shielded, and then for going on a jaunt but not seeing them!

Is it better to keep quiet?

Maybe, but I see it as baby steps towards being able to travel a bit more and mix with our families again. Otherwise life is not worth living if we don't see our families again

I shall go for a walk - in the rain

Doodle Wed 01-Jul-20 14:36:43

grammaretto sorry your DC have spoilt your trip to the Botanic gardens by being cross with you. Two positives, they care enough to want to keep you safe and miss you enough to want to see you. That should cheer you up. The will get over it. Do you have any plans to meet up with them.?
I don’t think those who haven’t been in complete lockdown really understand the impact it has on us. Being away from family and friends, no shopping or outings, trying to keep safe health wise and worrying how long it will go on for.
I’m glad you enjoyed your trip out. These little treats mean a lot. Hope the family come round soon (in more ways than one ?)

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jul-20 16:06:55

Doodle I want to hug you!

We are all affected in various ways by the wretched virus impacting on our already difficult lives.
Only 2 of the DC are angry. The other 2 are more pragmatic and understanding.

Marydoll Wed 01-Jul-20 19:40:42

Sorry I've been AWOL, dear friends. I'm not ignoring you all, I'm just struggling physically just now. Lots of side effects from my meds and basically I cannot find the inclination nor the oomph to post.

Grammaretto, I'm glad you managed to escape! Your children are only concerned about you. The Botanic Gardens are so peaceful. Do you remember the lovely visit we had with the Edinburgh Grans? I have always wanted to return with DH.
My daughter says I too am becoming reckless, as I was hinting at escaping. I have had enough of this incarceration. sad

Recently I agreed to take part in further research on shielding for the Govt working party. Today I received an email asking me to complete a more detailed survey on mental health in shielding.
I vented all my frustration and anger at the cruelty of shielding in that survey!! However, I do feel the better for it and I hope wee Nicola takes on board what I said!
I actually mentioned the Lockdown thread in the survey, saying how supportive it is.

My new meds arrived today for injecting at home. My goodness, so many instructions about side effects and notifying people and seeking help if necessary.
I'm about to prepare an inservice for DH and leave instructions on the medicine cupboard door with a script if he needs to phone for help. Once a teacher, always a teacher. grin

I hope tomorrow is a better day for all of us, my dear friends. ?

Doodle Wed 01-Jul-20 19:57:33

grammaretto hugs are nice ?. Hope you are feeling a bit more cheerful now. I’m sure all four of your children will love to see you as soon as is physically and practically possible. ?
DH and I went for a late walk this afternoon . It was warmer than I thought and I got quite hot and my feet hurt. Oh the bliss of getting home, sinking into my comfy chair and indulging in a nice cool glass of wine. ?
marydoll it is lovely to hear from you. I check up on you on the GM thread so know how tired and poorly you are feeling. We are all thinking of you but fully understand it takes energy to post so don’t expect you to join in every day. The most important thing is that you relax and don’t wear yourself out.
Drugs always come with a list of horrendous side effects. I recently changed my asthma meds as the capsules I’d been taking (very successfully) since I was 25 had been discontinued. When I read the list of side effects of the new drugs I was prescribed I was really worried about taking them. Thankfully, I haven’t noticed a problem at all.
I’m glad Miss Doll has thought to provide Mr Doll with a list of instructions in the event of a problem. I wouldn’t expect anything less ?. Are you used to injecting yourself, or is this a new thing? I really hope you get some positive and good effect from this soon. Take care and know that we are thinking of you and pleased to hear from you whenever you feel like popping in,

Mamissimo Wed 01-Jul-20 21:24:21

Good evening! If any of you have seen my DH can I have him back? Someone who resembles him came down this morning before 10.00am, made his breakfast straight away and then was outside drilling and screw drivering all day. Unheard of behaviour! I hadn’t even asked him to do anything ?

It was housework day today but the job is ✅. I have an outing tomorrow...a blood test at the GP surgery. I rang for an appointment today, fully expecting the normal two week wait and was offered a choice of times and days. I have been given the special phone number and told to go round the back to the staff entrance, ring the magic number and someone will come and get me. Will they recognise me with my flowing hair, mask and fogged up glasses?

I understand completely Panache how much we value our relationships with some medical staff. We build partnerships with them and achieve good levels of understanding. I’m very concerned that my dear consultant seems to be missing in action and a child has rung me to ask me many questions....hence the blood test!

It’s a vivid red sunset tonight so I will keep my fingers crossed for nicer weather tomorrow....I need to weed the drive ?

Sleep tight

NfkDumpling Wed 01-Jul-20 21:26:46

I was quite surprised that Leicester was picked on for a lockdown as I’ve been doing the Zoe research survey each day and Leicester hasn’t been any worse, if not better than, places like Blackpool, Birmingham and north of the Clyde (where are you Marydoll?). It’s interesting to see how the numbers go up and down.

covid.joinzoe.com/data#interactive-map

I’m really lucky where I live, the rate is very low, in fact I’m not sure we’ve ‘peaked’ yet! Sometimes it pays to be on the road to nowhere.

Today we escaped again and took our little boat out, himself looking forward to a days fishing. The weather wasn’t really on our side though and it rained a bit, blew a lot and was decidedly chilly. Still, sitting with the cabin lid firmly closed and a blanket over my feet, I managed a drawing of a group of birch trees which may turn out alright when finished.

Marydoll can you not escape to the countryside from where you are? I have shielding friends who drive out a few miles from the city and find somewhere to walk a bit, take a flask and cake and look at a view. The ordnance survey maps have been put to good use and they’ve been discovering footpaths and little used back roads which no one uses. We did one walk they’d told us about, well, we didn’t actually walk anywhere. It started by parking in the local church car park and we didn’t get much further than investigating the churchyard and cemetery. It was very interesting! Churchyards and cemeteries are great places to go. They generally have car parks, often have a nice view and hardly anyone goes there!

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jul-20 21:43:17

I am feeling a bit better now thanks for your support. I do remember very well that day at the Botanics Marydoll. It really is a favourite place and was so clean and empty of people just lots of trees and flowers. (and the obligatory lawn mowing machines)
Goodness so you are having to become a self administering nurse as well as everything else! Good luck with that.

Our dining room table looks like a pharmacy at times. though not as tidy

I am still unsure what the "rules" are that I am busy flouting. I know they are different here than in England.

I am glad Mr Dream had a call from his nurse Panache. These things make such a difference.
Our delivery girl is due to come to see us tomorrow but not with shopping, just for a chat in the garden. I hope it doesn't rain.

Looking forward to my hot chocolate already. It feels like winter here.

Doodle Wed 01-Jul-20 21:56:30

mamissimo, oh a handy man. I wonder what he’s up to.
Hope the blood test appointment goes well. I hope you will wear your collar turned up, dark glasses and give the secret handshake whilst looking furtively around for anyone following you ? ?
As you say, our relationship with medical staff is important. We need to trust and have confidence in those dealing with our medical care. I’m always amazed by the number of young boys and girls employed by the NHS . Some have hardly reached puberty. ?
A really fun day for you tomorrow. Weeding. I wonder if you will come across Bill and Ben the Flower Pot men when you encounter little Weed. ?
nfk hello again. Another lovely boat trip for you. Did your DH catch any fish. Glad you were pleased with your sketching. I would love to be able to draw. I particularly like the thought of trees.
On our walks DH and I have now made a couple of social distancing friends. We have met a couple of ladies who jog and make sure they wave and say hello as they run past us at a respectable distance. Another elderly lady (well a bit older than me) who goes slowly with a walking stick and waves it at us from the other side of the road (I think she’s being friendly ?) .
Hope the panaches sleep well tonight and all our other gang members. Keep safe. Chocolate or blueberry muffins in the kitchen for anyone who wants them with their nighttime beverage. ?

CherryCezzy Thu 02-Jul-20 10:42:13

Morning gang ?

Those dratted seizures have (again) kept me away from this lovely supportive group of kind souls. I've had a particularly bad bout of them this time with three lots of rescue medication in amongst the mix. I don't usually feel sorry for myself but this bout has been so horrible it has taken it out on me. I still feel pretty rotten so there may be more in the pipeline but ?. I will spring back, I'm sure, I just have to find my Tigger tail ?

I hope you all understand that at the moment I am not truly up to catching up with you all properly but my thoughts and warm wishes are with you all ? ❤️

?? for Marydoll and Panache who I know are having a particularly rough time. I do care about you.

Doodle Thu 02-Jul-20 11:10:53

grammaretto sorry I missed your post last night it must have been around the time I was typing mine.
Glad you are feeling a bit better. When our son went to collect his Dad’s prescription order he told us he was he was amazed to receive a huge bag full of medication. He was on his way to the door when the pharmacist called him back to give him the second bag! ?
Hope you have a nice chat with your delivery girl. We had a three minute torrential downpour about 10 minutes ago and now the sun is shining.?
cherry I’m so sorry to hear you have been poorly again. That sounds like a really awful few days. Your optimism and positive attitude to these setbacks and your humour is much to be admired. Really hope there is no more for a while to help you build up again and find your Tigger tail ?. Rest and recuperate. We are all thinking of you ?

Doodle Thu 02-Jul-20 11:22:02

cherry just read on the GM thread that you had 17 seizures ?. You poor girl no wonder you are wiped out. Gentle hug ?

marydoll you seem to have had a really bad time with the side effects of your meds and not much sleep last night. Hope you feel better soon.

panache hope you and Mr P are ok.

Dreamkeeper Thu 02-Jul-20 12:08:00

My thoughts and support go out to each one of you in what ever form your particular suffering takes hold.These are not easy times,in fact I would go to say these are by far the most difficult thus far.

So strange that many have no real conception of what life is like for those living with a permanent "noose" in the form of pain,Hospital,appointments and now this very weird way of coping daily.

Whilst my dear one is only that tad better,I am again in the midst of further Hospital tests,whilst it is like a war zone simply getting a blood test these days.

When,where and will it ever end I ask daily,but for the moment I reserve my very best wishes for those of you struggling yourselves.

Thanks for keeping us all together Doodle.

Doodle Thu 02-Jul-20 13:58:36

Dear panache thank you for posting. We all wonder how you are doing. Glad Mr P is feeling a little better but not you it seems. I trust the blood tests will be conducted safely and with as little stress to you as possible. Do hope you feel better soon. Take care ?
This lockdown gang seems to be home to many people going through serious, debilitating and painful ailments. As a bystander, as it were, I take my hat off to all of you who in the midst of your own problems and difficulties are always thinking of others and caring for all. You are seriously a wonderful bunch. I really wish I did have a magic potion to ease your pain and worries.
Hope you have as good a day as possible.
I am off out to get rained on and windswept (without the interesting bit) before coming back to wash my hair.

dragonfly46 Thu 02-Jul-20 17:05:51

Gosh what a lot has gone on in my absence.

Grammaretto it sounds to me as if you have 4 lovely DC who really care about you. It is so hard for them and you that you cannot be together.

Panache so sorry you are back in the midst of tests. It is very trying but hopefully Mr Dream will feel even better tomorrow.

Oh Cherry you have been through the mill. I love Tigger please find your Tigger bounce back soon.

Doodle we too have a barrage of medications. Boots do not mind delivering as we have so much!

We met up with friends in a field yesterday morning. We took our own chairs and coffee. It was lovely to catch up. In the afternoon I went for a walk with another friend. We went out for an hour but got back 2 and a half hours later. We got lost. I couldn't sleep last night I was so weary.

I suggested to my Dutch friends that we should Zoom sometime and they jumped at it. I am so excited. We should have done it before as I miss them greatly.

I hope you all have a lovely evening.

Doodle Thu 02-Jul-20 17:15:24

Hello dragonfly how are you keeping?
That must have been fun meeting up in a field. Plenty of space for social distancing. ?
Ah did you get lost because you were chatting so much you missed your turning?
We haven’t used zoom but I’ve heard it’s very popular these days. Nice you can contact your Dutch friends and have a catch up.
Hope Dexter is ok. ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion