Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Face Coverings Compulsory

(158 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 22:42:25

When using public transport as from the 15th.

Is it not a tiny tad late to bring it into force?

BlueSky Thu 04-Jun-20 23:08:42

Better late than never, wish they were compulsory in supermarkets too. They should at least help.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 23:12:13

Yes, that's true.
I've been saying they should have been compulsory since the beginning, and I have seen less and less people wearing them as time has gone on.

MiniMoon Thu 04-Jun-20 23:12:38

No I don't think so. As the country slowly opens up again, and more people have to use public transport, it is as well to protect yourself and others when you are in close proximity.
I have crocheted myself a face mask, and just have to line it, readycfor use if needed. I can't see myself using public transport as I can drive, but I'm not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. I'm sticking to tfe lockdown rules for the time being.

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 23:13:49

Not necessarily - under lockdown, furloughing and working from home, many people were not using public transport at all. The few who did often reported empty train carriages so face masks were not as important as now that travel has increased

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 23:14:03

That's true, too. blush
I should probably stop moaning.

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 23:16:53

You are right to question MissAdventure !

Jishere Thu 04-Jun-20 23:17:29

Have to agree with that saying better late than never. As a transport user, only some travellers wear one and as more people return to work they now know it will be essential and I'm glad we will have to all do the same thing.
However it does come too late for some bus drivers and even now where some buses you swipe an oyster right near the driver not everyone wears a mask.

Pantglas2 Thu 04-Jun-20 23:18:26

So alone in the uk we don’t have to don a mask!

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 23:19:38

Well, I can't help thinking that it may have made a tiny difference to the few users all this time, but it was more or less denied.

See, I just can't stop myself. smile

MawB Fri 05-Jun-20 00:19:57

even now where some buses you swipe an oyster right near the driver not everyone wears a mask

Well they will have to now Jishere

To be fair, in an attempt to reduce the risk to drivers TFL suspended charges for bus travel so nobody had to swipe anything and passengers were also instructed to use the middle door only.

vegansrock Fri 05-Jun-20 04:00:13

Why wait another 2 weeks? Looks like the U.K. trying to be world beaters in doing everything weeks after everywhere else. Might as well let a few more die.....

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 04:04:13

I have trouble seeing any logic in the delay.
If it helps, it helps, so surely best to do it straight away?

Nansnet Fri 05-Jun-20 04:28:12

Apart from everything already being decided months too late, I personally can't understand why the delay .. do they think that during the next 2 weeks people are going to be safe from the virus, so it's OK to wait until a later date to enforce this rule? Why can't they say it's compulsory with immediate effect?! Absolutely ridiculous!

Jane10 Fri 05-Jun-20 08:27:00

Face masks on public transports seems OK to me. It'll be a long time before I use the buses again though.
In supermarkets I'm not so sure about compulsory mask use. None of the staff wear them which I thought was interesting. Only 30 customers allowed in at a time and clear floor markings to ensure social distancing. A nice member of staff disinfects each trolley before a new customer uses it.

Lucca Fri 05-Jun-20 08:33:28

Why are all the measures “after two weeks” or “. By the end of the month”??

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 08:40:35

I found the 2 week delay baffling. But a friend suggested it can’t be made compulsory till the law is in place and that can’t be done immediately . I’ve no idea if that’s factual.

Liz46 Fri 05-Jun-20 08:42:44

Asthma sufferers may be unable to wear masks. I have lung problems but have no intention of going out in public so am more fortunate than those who have to go to work.

Liz46 Fri 05-Jun-20 08:47:31

Also your glasses steam up if you wear a mask. As a glasses wearing asthmatic I struggle if I try to protect myself from compost by wearing a mask.

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 08:56:46

I found the steamed up glasses a pest. And of course the temptation to clear them adds to the risk as we’re advised don’t put hand near face.

I’ve almost overcome the steamed up specs problem in recent days by wearing them on the tip of my nose.

Yellowmellow Fri 05-Jun-20 09:02:04

More and more people are out and about as they mistakenly seem to think the virus has gone. Also more people have to go back to work so l think its a sensible move. Surely we don't have to be told to wear a face mask. If we feel its right....do it anyway

Rosina Fri 05-Jun-20 09:03:38

I read too that wearing a mask has its disadvantages in that people become a litte less careful about face touching because they are wearing one, and also adjusting the mask means more face touching. Our local pharmacy staff all have the clear plastic face shields which seem to be an excellent idea - eyes covered too! However, just think how dramatically cases of the common cold will be reduced thanks to masks and hand washing!

Greenfinch Fri 05-Jun-20 09:08:10

I wonder how school buses will cope if / when secondary children go back. Also,about 100 girls make the one stop journey by train to the local girls' school in our town. Mask or not, they all come pouring off the train. No chance of social distancing here.

Mollygo Fri 05-Jun-20 09:12:35

Those who think it a good idea have been wearing face coverings already.
I’m glad it’s going to be compulsory.
I expect the fines will be imposed on those who create riots at stations and bus stops by refusing to wear masks and demanding to be allowed on, or think it clever to wear it to get on, then immediately remove it because you can’t tell them what to do!
Shall we wait for media posts with pictures and video clips?
It’s no good telling UK folk what they need to do-those that want to, do it and those that think they know better don’t.
Think paths to the beaches where the path to get on or off isn’t two metres wide- Oh but folk can spread out when they get there so that’s OK.
Think back to the healthy school meals plan-and those parents standing outside school gates with fish and chips, or the “I don’t see why my child was sent home from school just because he had Man United dyed into his crew cut even though it’s against school rules.”
I’m not a fan of this government, but what makes it harder is the reaction of parts of the population. We’ve seen lots of examples written about on here since lockdown.

Diggingdoris Fri 05-Jun-20 09:16:23

I think this decision has been delayed to avoid the public buying stock that would otherwise have gone to the NHS or carers.