Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Face Coverings Compulsory

(159 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 22:42:25

When using public transport as from the 15th.

Is it not a tiny tad late to bring it into force?

clareken Fri 05-Jun-20 09:16:25

I think I have seen that there will be exceptions, and asthma sufferers will be within that. However, how many people with asthma will be denied travel, because they are not wearing a face covering? Also, it doesn't have to be a mask. As long as your mouth and nose are covered, it can be a scarf etc

MagicWand Fri 05-Jun-20 09:25:42

All reactions to this virus seem to be set on a minimum 2wk delay here!

Imagine how much easier and more effective it would have been to have track & trace when there were only a few cases at the beginning.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 05-Jun-20 09:29:35

Never too late!
Around the end of February when the talk about Covid19 started to get more frequent I bought a pack of N95 masks.
As it became more serious I took the decision to self isolate.
I never believed what we were being fed about masks being ineffective, as far as I'm concerned any face covering is better than nothing. I have underlying conditions that would make it very serious for me to catch Covid.
The only time I've left my home in over three months is for my monthly eye injection, and that's when I've worn mask and latex gloves that I already had for food preparation.
I've always believed that our being told not to wear masks was to reserve stocks for the NHS, agree with that but since when did the NHSnhs get their equipment from Amazon or EBay?
Our government has dragged its feet on many issues to do with Covid. Allowing planes loads of people in from all corners of the earth for instance.
I could go on but it's time for my Tai Chi class on Zoom.

BlueSky Fri 05-Jun-20 09:31:24

Compulsory in two weeks as people need to source them. Found it strange that supermarket staff don't wear them, OK we know that they get uncomfortable, steam up glasses etc. They said some people with medical conditions will be exempted. Abroad they even wear them outdoors!

25Avalon Fri 05-Jun-20 09:32:33

Again something which has had conflicting advice. From all I’ve read face masks are best at stopping a person from spreading the virus rather than from receiving it. But if we all wore them it would work in that case. However the ones the public are wearing are not as good as the ones used in icu’s. I have seen plastic visors covering the whole face which seem like a good idea to wear over a face mask for increased protection.

Froglady Fri 05-Jun-20 09:34:14

Haven't most things been a tad too late in this crisis in the UK?

Oopsminty Fri 05-Jun-20 09:38:55

Isn't the 2 week delay due to the non essential shops opening on the same date?

Public transport in my area just isn't being used at all. I regularly see trains with nobody in them at present

I'm just guessing that they are expecting a lot more people to be out and about from the 15th onwards

Franbern Fri 05-Jun-20 09:39:03

I have been wearing a mask in the supermarket for some weeks now. Not sure of its benefit - I would not be going if I had any sort of cold, etc. Wear one as I feel it may reassure some other shoppers there at the same time as me.

However, do think masks are very anti-social. Cannot smile at anyone and know it is impossible to lip-read with them on, and do wonder how asthma (and hay fever) sufferers cope with them.

I have looked to purchasing one of those clear face visors o use instead of masks. Not too expensive on line and they are washable, etc. Just wondered if anyone would know if these would count as acceptable anywhere that says masks MUST be worn.

Elegran Fri 05-Jun-20 09:39:24

The problem with masks causing steamed-up glasses can be prevented by putting a bit of soft plastic wire into the top edge of the mask, covering the nose and extendingan inch or more across each cheek. You can bend the wire to hold the fabric closer to your face so that your breath doesn't rise up . The ones I bought have this in them, and are very comfortable to wear.

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 09:40:50

HannahLoisLuke I’ve seen care home managers and community care providers state on tv they’ve had to buy their masks from amazon and eBay.

Also staff working for care agencies buy from these sources when their employers can’t source enough supplies to adequately protect them.

Aepgirl Fri 05-Jun-20 09:42:25

People don’t seem to know how to wear masks. I’ve seen them pulled down to talk to people, which really defeats the object.

Elegran Fri 05-Jun-20 09:43:12

PS - they were made in Hampshire by a small business which normally makes cheerleader uniforms but during the epidemic have turned to making scrubs and masks. Send me a PM if you would like their URL.

Theoddbird Fri 05-Jun-20 09:43:47

Nobody has stopped anyone wearing a facecovering. Anyone could have worn one right from the beginning. It was the responsibility of individuals not the government telling them to do it. It seems that people are unable to take responsibility for their own safety. Nobody expects someone to hold their hand crossing the road after all.

Elegran Fri 05-Jun-20 09:44:06

Two more posts while I was typing that!

Grannygrumps1 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:45:26

Better late than never.

Izabella Fri 05-Jun-20 09:45:50

I agree with wearing them. Just means we lip readers will have a harder time - but a small price to pay and may lead to some hilarious or embarrassing conversations!! And they don't steam up glasses if worn properly (ex RN)

Jane10 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:45:55

Aepgirl I see that a lot too. The masks are up and down and removed to speak into mobile phones. Also some people don't seem to realise that their nose should be covered too.

Bellasnana Fri 05-Jun-20 09:51:43

We’ve had to wear masks here in Malta for weeks now when shopping in any kind of store or going into offices, clinics, hairdressers, etc.
If you don’t wear it, you don’t go in. Some places take your temperature as well, and all ask you to sanitize your hands with sanitizer that the shop provides.

In the heat it is very uncomfortable but it’s the law so we just have to abide by it and hope it helps stop the spread.

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 09:53:32

Aepgirl I agree with your comment on how some wear them. I was aware of a woman behind me in checkout queue wearing a mask. She took a fit of coughing behind me and the checkout girl’s jaw dropped.

I realised why after glancing round. She’d pulled the mask down to cough! I’m relieved 2 weeks have passed and I’m fine as I was in her firing line.

Also some are strolling round with masks that have clearly been worn multiple times and nothing but a health hazard.

Hetty58 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:56:00

Theoddbird:

'It was the responsibility of individuals not the government telling them to do it.'

In this case, masks protect other people, so it is a government duty to make them compulsory - should be in shops too!

Pinkrinse Fri 05-Jun-20 09:56:08

The advice is they can do more harm then good, as they create a feeling of safety, which they do not provide. People pull them on and off and wear them as headbands and all sorts. If you've touched a surface then touch your mask you have more risk of getting infected then if you don't wear one. It creates a false sense of security, and the only people they may protect are other people not the wearer, who is probably at more harm wearing one then not

Macgran43 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:58:12

My son’s usual occupation is sportswear design.He has diverted to face masks.Website gives all the details.I have two pretty ones which I wear to my local shop when I but milk and a paper. I would certainly wear on public transport. Www.fxg_masks.co.uk

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 10:00:30

Oh well, if it "only" protects others, it hardly seems worth it.

I've seen this said a few times on here, and it baffles me.

Lucca Fri 05-Jun-20 10:06:58

If it protects others and we all wear them surely we are all protected?? I think we make a lot of fuss about stuff I really do.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 10:08:19

Why is it always the cart before the horse ? A bit late in the day to be having this now isn't it ? There now won't be any masks to be had, so I'll wrap a thin scarf around my nose and mouth-------if I go out anywhere, though no buses for me until they're all steam-cleaned and disinfected and even then I'll think twice.