Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Face Coverings Compulsory

(159 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 22:42:25

When using public transport as from the 15th.

Is it not a tiny tad late to bring it into force?

BlueSky Sun 07-Jun-20 08:59:41

I didn't know the purpose of the wire and wasn't quite sure it was the top! I'll give it a try next time I go into a shop.

Willow500 Sun 07-Jun-20 10:28:42

The masks I bought do have wire in them so we made sure we had them on correctly. I think it's just that it feels so alien to have your face covered up. I might try my home made ones next time I venture out which I lined part of a Henry Hoover hepa bag and also put wire in.

Jane10 Sun 07-Jun-20 11:09:46

I tried it this morning but gave up. Glasses steamed up despite tweaking the wire and I found myself claustrophobic and hyperventilating. I didn't feel bad taking it off though as I was the only person wearing or trying to wear a mask.

Witzend Sun 07-Jun-20 11:13:48

I’m not sure how they could have been compulsory from the beginning, when it was virtually impossible for a while to find any - they were even more elusive than hand sanitiser and loo rolls - at least anywhere around here.

Dh ordered some online at the beginning of lockdown - it was several weeks before they arrived.

Grannynannywanny Sun 07-Jun-20 11:34:41

Jane10 I found with a bit of practice I could overcome the steamed up glasses by wearing them further down my nose while shopping . Have a try in the house where you’ll feel less under pressure

Mamie Sun 07-Jun-20 12:29:31

We had two each delivered to our letterbox and can also get them cheap in the pharmacie. I have been making them and use pretty cotton prints plus old cotton pillow cases for the lining. I put a pocket on the back to give an extra layer and sew across the top to take a nose wire. You have to perservere a bit with glasses, but you do get used to it. I add an extra inch for masks for DH so he can fit his beard in.
We get loads of public information stuff about how to wear them and clean them.
They have become a bit of a fashion item here and I quite enjoy matching mask to outfit. ? The President has a dark blue one with a tricolor ribbon. ??

Furret Sun 07-Jun-20 12:38:21

I’ve been wearing masks from the start - three-ply ones. You do get used to them.

MayBee70 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:44:36

Regarding glasses steaming up I think the important thing is to have the mouth covered in case of coughing or sneezing. Breathing through the nose is safer as anything breathed out does not come from as far down in the lungs and it might might be safer breathing in through the nose as well. We use those nasal sprays when we go out. These, by the way, are just my daft ideas picked up from bits and bobs that I’ve read.