Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Face Coverings Compulsory

(159 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 22:42:25

When using public transport as from the 15th.

Is it not a tiny tad late to bring it into force?

Jane10 Fri 05-Jun-20 10:09:57

I think it's a very British attitude to not being told what to do by the nanny state!

knspol Fri 05-Jun-20 10:10:19

I think they should have been made compulsory from the start, you only have to look at places like Korea, Singapore Hong Kong to see how swiftly they got matters under control largely helped by wearing face masks in public.
Photos of public transport in London, especially on the tube continue to show people jammed together without any face coverings even though the London mayor has been advocating wearing them for some considerable time. I think the initial lack of face masks and the need to keep them for front line health workers stopped the govt from recommending them.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 10:11:18

Would-be criminals will have a field day.
" Could you describe the person ?". No, they were wearing a mask ".

BlueSky Fri 05-Jun-20 10:11:19

Bellasnana if they can bear to wear them in Malta surely we can wear them here?

CraftyGranny Fri 05-Jun-20 10:15:28

There is a very good mask pattern available on-line. I have made quite a few for the family and used Henry vac bags to add an extra filter.
This is a very good one and comes with templates and full instructions.
www.regmedctr.org/webres/File/OlsonMask_wPattern_v3-USE%20THIS%20ONE.pdf

Daisyboots Fri 05-Jun-20 10:15:47

Here in Portugal we have had to wear masks since May 4th whenever we are in public. If you aren't wearing one you are not allowed into shops clinics and even restaurants. On public transport you are fined if not wearing one. I have to wear one for 4 hours at a time when at the hospital for treatment and used properly your glasses do not steam up.

Daisyboots Fri 05-Jun-20 10:17:15

Our local council has provided every one with a washable reusable mask, a disposable mask and a head visor.

Elegran Fri 05-Jun-20 10:27:18

pinkrise - "the only people they may protect are other people not the wearer" so only everybody else? Do you mean only one person matters - the wearer - and everybody else can go hang?

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 10:27:44

I wear one in shops and increasingly more people seem to do so recently.

I saw Dr Jarvis discussing on Jeremy Vine today. She raised concern of possible risks if not used properly. The producer had left one in front of her to use as a demo.

She didn’t put it on her face as she said it was already potentially contaminated as it had been placed on the desk with the inner side face down in contact with a hard surface. Her concern was if she put it on she could transfer possible virus contamination directly to her face.

Proper guidelines in their use would be helpful as many don’t associate them with any possible risks if not handled correctly.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 10:33:20

It's the dampness that you'll get from your breath transferring onto the mask which would concern me as damp is a breeding ground for germs . Unless, if you were out you had a good enough supply to enable you to change as soon as it gets wet ?

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 10:35:53

It's the media that makes the fuss Lucca, not us.
Sensationalist news travels.

gillgran Fri 05-Jun-20 10:35:56

I'm not out & about shopping yet (not in the "shielded" category, but mid-70's, with a few health issues).
I was wondering if many people are wearing face coverings in the shops.?

Macgran43, I tried to access the website you gave, but couldn't get in.? Any advice,?

Craftycat Fri 05-Jun-20 10:37:57

I've yet to SEE anyone on public transport. When I go for my daily walk buses go past & I have yet to see a single person on them except driver! He must be bored stiff.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 10:42:10

There are usually around five or six on the buses here, a couple of times up to about ten, and less and less covering their faces as the weeks have gone on and the initial panic has died down, I assume.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Jun-20 10:43:28

Our business sells protective clothing including masks.

The problem with the general public wearing masks/face coverings that they have either purchased from tom, dick or harry or made themselves is primarily the way you put them on / take them off and then dispose of them. The same with gloves, there seems to be many ex nurses on GN so you know how to, I know how to but the majority of people get a false sense of security and have absolutely no idea what level of protection the masks they have bought/fabricated offer.

We went to our local farm shop this week (only my third shopping trip in 11 weeks) we saw people wearing masks only one was worn correctly, some had their noses exposed some just had them slung under their chin I assume to be pulled up when entering the shop, one person had the mask over their nose only whilst smoking, I could go on but you get the picture.

Large gatherings of people is and will be a breeding ground for Covid-19 for many years to come, we have to use our own judgement and risk assess situations to keep us and our families safe.

(I think the delay in making face coverings compulsory is due to the relevant legislation)

Jishere Fri 05-Jun-20 10:44:06

Well Mawb that suspension finished a couple of weeks ok on buses that didn't have middle doors and the suspension came after the deaths of drivers not before.
Yes fully aware in my previous post it applies to all from the 15 but although better late then never it should start asap. Prevention is better than catching this virus.

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 10:49:24

My friend used a bus yesterday for the first time in 2 months. The seating was labelled to advise passengers where not to sit so that everyone could be distanced.

A few passengers came on and just sat on the do not sit here signs!

And you’ve guessed it, they were the ones who weren’t wearing masks.

Rosiebee Fri 05-Jun-20 10:51:17

I've made a couple each for DH and I to wear. Took a few tweaks and practice ones until I got them right. Very easy design on YTube by the Missouri Star Quilt Company [Google MSQ] with 2 designs, elastic and ties. I've lined them with iron on Vilene, hopefully to lessen spread of particles. We just haven't felt the need to wear them yet. But I'm sat here wearing one now to see if my glasses mist up and yes they do. Another tweak needed. hmm

Yellowmellow Fri 05-Jun-20 11:01:00

I think you are right diggingdoris

Pippa22 Fri 05-Jun-20 11:08:09

Why wait to be told ? If , in your situation you feel that a face mask would be helpful then wear one. I think a lot of this situation is how you access your own risk. I still have a working brain, can do a risk assessment for each situation and act accordingly. We should all be responsible for our own actions.

Jishere Fri 05-Jun-20 11:09:00

That's been happening all along Grannynannywanny I've watched people aghast just sit right behind driver ignoring the sign. This is what people are like rules don't apply to them.

Saggi Fri 05-Jun-20 11:10:19

Face masks ...where from.... I ordered a box 9 weeks ago...still waiting. I don’t drive so can’t search for them....so have to walk or use public transport! Bit of a catch 22

Jane10 Fri 05-Jun-20 11:11:00

daisyboots- you say you even have to wear masks in restaurants. What would be the point of going to a restaurant if your mouth had to stay covered?!
DS is manager of a restaurant and they are frantically trying to work out how they could actually reconfigure the place safely and whether opening again is worthwhile at all. sad

Jishere Fri 05-Jun-20 11:11:48

Pippa22 because simply not everyone does and like the sample above some have got a different attitude that isn't showing responsibilty or care to anyone.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 11:19:51

The point is that doing your own risk assessment (yes, we all have brains) doesn't exempt anyone from others' idea of what is risky and what they're prepared to do.