Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Face Coverings Compulsory

(159 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 22:42:25

When using public transport as from the 15th.

Is it not a tiny tad late to bring it into force?

Puzzler61 Sat 06-Jun-20 08:30:04

I made my mind up the first time I went out to a pharmacy that I would wear a mask and gloves.
It can’t do any harm, even if the science of how much good it does is not conclusive.
It’s been easy to wear disposable thin gloves and a disposable mask for one use only, then bin it at home.
Just like putting your hat and scarf on in the winter - it’s easy to get used to.
And I feel better doing it.
Not that I go out to a shop/ pharmacy more than a couple of times a week so my supplies (50 in a pack) will last ages and haven’t been costly - for the peace of mind it brings.

BlueSky Sat 06-Jun-20 08:38:18

Now even the WHO recommends them after dismiss them! I've always felt that they didn't want panick buying in this area.

Elegran Sat 06-Jun-20 08:52:10

MayBee70 Professional producers of masks have been making them since the start, and "amateurs" have been makng a few for friends and acquaintances too. Getting an ad onto Facebook is instant - you pays your money and you posts your ad - so people were able to get their advertising out there as soon as the announcement was over.

I can't imagine Johnson and co liaising with all the mask makers before springing a change in the rules. they couldn't even liaise with schools.

travelsafar Sat 06-Jun-20 08:56:27

I managed to buy a pack of three washable cotton masks in Home Bargains yesterday. They are aimed at women as they have a pretty trim on them. They cost 3.99. I have tried a different type and they were uncomfortable and kept slipping off my face the cotton ones feel better and can be washed at 60degrees after use.

MayBee70 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:28:37

But Elegran, , the adverts popped up during the day when the announcement was made at 4pm. So the manufacturers must have been told before the British public were told.

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Jun-20 09:41:38

MayBee70 I’m not tech savvy enough to be able to explain. But my understanding is when we do an online search eg washing machines we are tracked by advertisers once we agree to “cookies” to enhance our shopping experience.

I read reviews for a brand of floor cleaner during the week and random ads are still popping up related to that search.

Most websites ask us to accept cookies before we can browse their products. If only it was the chocolate chip variety!

hereshoping Sat 06-Jun-20 10:28:18

Common sense tells us that this is a good idea, regardless of whether science can prove it or not.
I may finally venture out if it becomes more common place, and I've finally managed to get hold of some masks at last.

Gloria504 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:08:56

I'm with you Blue Sky . I think all people in the supermarkets should wear face masks. I have made several and find that my glasses steam up sometimes but only having 2 (not3) layers of fabric is better. Not sure if it's less effective though. I found people were more aware of me with my mask on and kept their distance . Am getting used to wearing it now .

Purplepixie Sat 06-Jun-20 11:12:26

Why do we have to wait until the 15th and why not right NOW? I do not understand this bloody government. They couldn’t run a P up in a brewery!

Jane10 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:17:35

I clear the cookies from my devices from time to time. Its quite easy to do.

MayBee70 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:18:25

They should have said to wear them straight away but that people wouldn’t be fined for the next two weeks to give people time to acquire them. Then again they could just send them out to people or hand them out in shops and bus depots the way they do in other countries. But that isn’t the way this government operates. If they did that they wouldn’t be able to blame us when the R rate goes above 1.

Furret Sat 06-Jun-20 11:40:14

From today’s Guardian

“People over 60 or with health issues should wear a medical-grade mask when they are out and cannot socially distance, according to new guidance from the World Health Organization, while all others should wear a three-layer fabric mask.

The announcement on Friday marks a significant change of stance by the WHO, which until now has been reluctant to advocate the wearing of masks by the public because of limited evidence that they offer protection.

The health body’s new guidance document says the over-60s and people with underlying health conditions should wear medical masks in “settings where physical distancing cannot be achieved” because of “increased risk of infection and/or negative outcomes”.

All others should wear a three-layer fabric mask: absorbent cotton closest to the face, followed by a polypropylene layer and then a synthetic layer that is fluid-resistant, the WHO said. It envisages that these masks can be made at home, but that small companies may begin to produce them, also providing jobs.“

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Jun-20 11:58:51

Furret thanks for that. I’m getting confused( it doesn’t take much). I did read the WHO statement earlier. But I must have skimmed over it as I thought it was referring to just the over 60’s who had underlying conditions. So it’s all over 60’s who are advised to wear a medical grade mask outdoors?

After being advised for months not to try to source medical grade masks as they were only required by frontline staff we’ve now to wear them?

I wonder where we’ll be expected to source them and afford to pay for them if we can. From what I’ve seen the N95 masks sell for around £5 each and advice is to dispose of it at the end of each each

Furret Sat 06-Jun-20 12:17:34

I agree it’s not clear at all

Elegran Sat 06-Jun-20 12:24:18

But we don't have to wait, Purplepixie We can do it right now - if we have the masks to wear. From the 15th it will be the law, but until then there is no law to say that we can't wear them. It takes a while for the law to go through the red tape to confirm it, and we have that time to get or make masks if we don't have them already - or to look out suitable scarves to wrap round our noses and mouths.

Of course, if it is not enforced then it is a waste of breath the Prime Minister telling us we must wear face coverings. Those who can't be arsed will find some reason not to.

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Jun-20 12:26:45

It was on the BBC news site I read the report earlier. I began to doubt myself and went back for another look.

Unless I’m wrongly interpreting it the Guardian and BBC are saying 2 different things.

This is the BBC quote ..
Over 60s with underlying health conditions should go further, the WHO said, and wear medical-grade masks to give themselves better protection.

LaRia44 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:09:58

I went to buy a plant pot on Thursday, I was wearing a mask, the shop was quiet. On my way to the till an acquaintance came right up to me, I backed away, she advanced and started to suggest coffee. I said it will be a long time before anything like that would happened. I managed to excuse my self on the ground that the plant pot was heavy.
I joined the queue and next thing she was behind me. I felt so rude to keep my back to her but I did.
Why do people thing the virus has gone.

LaRia44 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:12:05

Should have previewed my post, typos,

MayBee70 Sat 06-Jun-20 16:20:53

LaRia44: I even avoid my front garden because if I go there my neighbours come up to me and start up conversations.

MawB Sat 06-Jun-20 17:24:12

^From 15 June, hospital visitors and outpatients must wear face coverings and staff must use surgical masks.
The Department of Health says masks can be provided by the hospital if needed^.
A spokeswoman said that, while the public were "strongly urged" to wear a face covering while inside hospitals, no-one would be denied care

Where has anybody said all over-60’s need to wear surgical quality face masks?.

MayBee70 Sat 06-Jun-20 18:36:19

I think that came from the WHO.

Willow500 Sat 06-Jun-20 19:39:30

I've made a few masks from cotton fabric or old tee shirts but so far haven't worn them then I found a pack of paper ones in BM Stores the other day so bought them.

Today we went to the supermarket (not our usual one) and as we've been advised to wear masks husband and I put them on. His glasses immediately started to fog up so he was constantly taking them off then putting them on if he needed to read something. I wear contacts and found that the mask was getting too close to my eyes so had to keep moving it down. We were both feeling extremely irritable by the time we got round the store not helped by people not socially distancing, standing around in the aisles so no one could pass, no one else wearing masks and the queuing system for a till very badly organised. The checkout operator was not terribly polite either telling us to stay behind the lines at either end so I couldn't reach the belt and then making us turn the trolley round. Both my DIL and GD work for the same company (different town) and say how rude some customers are - today I could see it from the other side. We won't be going there again (and I possibly will not be taking him with me again grin ) As for the masks I will try my handmade ones next time!

vegansrock Sat 06-Jun-20 21:14:51

If you wear a shaped mask with a nose wire to mould around your nose your glasses won’t steam up.

Elegran Sat 06-Jun-20 21:27:32

The ones from Pinkfudge have a nose-wire. Ideal for spec-wearers.

I suppose if you have one without a wire you could tuck the top under your specs to hold it down onto your face.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Jun-20 01:22:36

If it's any help in deciding, the ones issued to me for work are the nose wire ones.