Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Thousands on the beach yesterday - Wednesday

(143 Posts)
Nanof3 Thu 25-Jun-20 13:12:41

Have just seen pictures in the paper of the thousands of people on the beaches on the south coast yesterday, and there are 30 mile tailbacks on the roads going south again today.
We are hoping to go out and about after next weekend but what is the use of us obeying the rules only to face another potential lockdown due these irresponsible idiots. I feel very angry and frustrated.

gillybob Thu 25-Jun-20 23:22:32

Well I am happy to report that “my” stretch of beach on the NE coast was beautiful when I arrived today and just as beautifully unspoiled when I left . A few family groups but all staying well apart . No litter left at all. Well done the North East of England. ?

gillybob Thu 25-Jun-20 23:24:59

Oops meant to add . Surely all these people in and around Bournemouth can’t be being paid by the government? can they ?

merlotgran Thu 25-Jun-20 23:30:44

I'm afraid a lot of them are, gilly.

Furlough on sea!

suziewoozie Thu 25-Jun-20 23:33:18

9.1 million furloughed gilly

gillybob Thu 25-Jun-20 23:36:58

Well there’s something terribly wrong Merlot when much poorer parts of the country are propping them up and allowing them to have what is effectively a 4 month plus paid holiday .

I fear the proverbial sh*t will hit the fan soon though. .

merlotgran Thu 25-Jun-20 23:39:27

I agree, gilly

pinkquartz Thu 25-Jun-20 23:42:05

Apparently there was plenty of shit left in peoples gardens
Not to mention the 30 odd TONS of rubbish collected when those lovely visitors finally left

How shameful can these people be? how many refuse to send their kids back to school cos it's not safe?

I won't be able to leave my home for a very long time thanks to this behaviour and I have been shut in since New Years ........
But as a vulnerable adult it's is too great a risk.

gillybob Thu 25-Jun-20 23:45:25

I feel for you pinkquartz I really do. But sadly there are some very selfish , hypocritical people in this country .

Leaving all their rubbish behind is the pits of the Earth and just goes to show their mentality .

twiglet77 Thu 25-Jun-20 23:51:11

I agree too, Gilly. It's going to be a shock for some of these people when they have to go back to work (I work in a supermarket so have worked throughout, both my daughters have office jobs and have been working from home, one with a small child at home since nursery closed).

But I don't understand the attraction of beaches in summer. People, for one thing, I definitely don't want to sit anywhere near other people, and that's nothing to do with any virus. I don't think of nice leisure time as time spent having to hear other people talking, shouting, whooping, getting louder as they drink their supermarket booze, I don't want to have kids I don't know shrieking a few feet away from me. There's no shade, sand is scorching hot, kids can be carried when their feet burn on the sand but the poor dogs dragged out for a 'lovely' day on the beach with the family will have blistered paws and nobody carrying them. Sand gets in everything you eat and everything you're wearing. The loos will be closed and our population is hopelessly incapable of understanding what litter bins are for. People are revolting. Sea water is revolting really, seaweed between your toes and sharp shells pricking your feet. No, give me an empty beach in winter, wrapped up well and with wellies on, then the kids (and grandkids) and dogs can have a whale of a time. In summer, I'll stay in my large and quiet garden, under a tree if it's too hot in the sun, perfect peace, no driving - and a clean loo when I need it!!

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-20 00:00:59

Our eldest grandson is furloughed and lives ten minutes from a beach but the only time he goes there is for his dog's early morning walk when there's nobody there.

I can't see the appeal either, twiglet.

Sussexborn Fri 26-Jun-20 00:07:10

Looks horrendous. How would you find a child if they wandered off?

Evie64 Fri 26-Jun-20 00:57:55

We live in Devon, the onslaught of grockles has already begun! Whilst it's good for our economy, I just hope there isn't a second spike as a result, but methinks it's inevitable........

Calendargirl Fri 26-Jun-20 06:56:18

Yes, I can well imagine that many children on the beaches were not sent to school because it wouldn’t be safe.

?‍♀️

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jun-20 07:20:41

Ah, good job we’re all different twiglet - I love the beach! Nothing nicer than relaxing, feet up, on a sun bed that has a bit fat cushion with my beach towel on it. Yes it’s hot, but with sunscreen on, under a huge parasol put my head and shoulders in the shade. A gentle sea breeze as it’s cooler on the coast in hot weather completes my comfort and enjoyment! A bottle of water on a side table next to me keeps me hydrated. My Kindle or iPod (with earbuds natch) provide my entertainment and a swim in the sea is delightful.

As we leave the beach we make sure no-one could tell we’ve spent the day there. No litter left behind!

????

Willow10 Fri 26-Jun-20 07:26:43

Would these be the same hypocrites who were out clapping for the NHS a few weeks ago?

Now that they've learned how to wash their hands, maybe they could be taught to dispose of their own rubbish properly.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jun-20 07:52:12

Littering is disgusting, depressing and expensive to clear. The gig-lovers at Glastonbury (and other venues) always leave a right mess! It’s dangerous on beaches, especially when some fools drink from glass beer bottles.

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 08:01:11

tidyskatemum

So the 33 tons of litter cleared from the Bournemouth coast from yesterday was a figment of the imagination, was it? And is the major incident declared today an overreaction? I think not.

Quite, tidyskatemum
Apparently, the estimate was half a million people headed for Bournemouth yesterday.

I cannot believe anyone is making excuses for these people.
Perhaps the furlough scheme should be ended; if people can sit in traffic jams to travel to overcrowded resorts (and the problem was not so much sitting on the beach but walking around elsewhere) then they should be perfectly able to go back to work.

Perhaps only shielded people should be furloughed now.

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 08:07:54

MerylStreep we're not criticising the locals who (lucky them!) have a beach within walking distance; there were 30 mile tailbacks trying to get into Bournemouth yesterday and a major incident was declared.
I'd be quite upset if I lived in one of these resorts.

It's not so long since the police were stopping people, interrogating them and turning them round to go home and they still are where we live.

One extreme to the other.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Jun-20 08:08:02

Gillybob
I’m pleased your beach on S Tyneside is clean and pristine.
It’s not the case in North Tyneside.
Every morning te beach at King Edward’s Bay, next to Tynemouth Priory, and other N Tyneside beaches, are full of beer cans and other assorted litter left by groups of people partying the night before.

Volunteers, who go the in the early morning to swim, clean it all up so that by the time ordinary people get there it’s clean and pristine.

But now they are asking North Tyneside council to act and ban alcohol on North Tyneside beaches.

Perhaps you’d like to sign this?
l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org%2Fp%2Fnorth-tyneside-council-ban-alcohol-consumption-on-north-tyneside-beaches%2Ffbog%2F55973682&h=AT0wYhwCLVEpPy1Hg11GT6KzAxmNl3LMIk52uuFpN4W43-AWnsPTPbYtu9DKM6zp0TgCwC1m08fdrL0orE1nhjqamS0JKbwW_b1dXMAcmYyXkKF2aUTtxpLMNosPNso&s=1

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jun-20 08:19:06

jane I’m hearing exactly the sane story here in all our local beauty spots and parks - I guess it’s the same proportionate increase. The problem with dedicated volunteers clearing up is that it hides the problem. I’m not saying they shouldn’t do it but it means that unless you are there first thing in the morning or last thing at night you have no idea how truly awful it is. It’s also spilling into our town centre which previously was pretty litter free. Goodness knows what the answer is

Rosalyn69 Fri 26-Jun-20 08:23:00

It’s definitely time to stop paying people to stay at home or rather go to the seaside. When the bars open it will be even worse. Get the schools back and get the country working. If they can risk going to the beach then they are perfectly capable of going back to work.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jun-20 08:23:25

I agree about banning alcohol but that will need tough enforcement to be effective. Enforcement costs money - who is going to fund that?

Daisymae Fri 26-Jun-20 08:23:27

The government minister in BBC breakfast repeated many times it was the hottest day of the year. I don't understand why the council didn't take control sooner it's all very, very odd.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jun-20 08:26:00

Does anyone know the process for closing beaches ? Who has the authority so to do and more importantly enforce it?

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 08:31:55

I don't know what the Counil could do about it.
Perhaps the police should have put in road blocks and turned people around.
Then, of course, they'd be screaming about their 'rights'.

This country is becoming a very unpleasant place to live; it seems to be divided between the responsible, the essential workers, people like the volunteers janeainsworth mentions and the selfish and feral.

And no, I won't apologise for using that Australian term.