Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Thousands on the beach yesterday - Wednesday

(142 Posts)
Nanof3 Thu 25-Jun-20 13:12:41

Have just seen pictures in the paper of the thousands of people on the beaches on the south coast yesterday, and there are 30 mile tailbacks on the roads going south again today.
We are hoping to go out and about after next weekend but what is the use of us obeying the rules only to face another potential lockdown due these irresponsible idiots. I feel very angry and frustrated.

Ilovecheese Thu 25-Jun-20 13:13:50

They are just "following their instincts ".

lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 13:16:38

Wonder if the councils have opened the loos? Wouldn’t want to swim there for a long time!

Franbern Thu 25-Jun-20 13:21:02

Oh dear - here we go again. Another one saying that other people will be causing a spike due to their behavior. Had this said so many times over past few weeks.

Of course people are much safer from virus infection in the open air - not sure as to their safety from sun burn though today . Traffic jams are horrible and uncomfortable - but do not have any effect re . the virus.

People try to social distance - within their own groups - on the beaches - I have personally seen people doing this, a long way apart from each other, and newspaper photos of the same beach at the same time (using special lenses) showed them all crowded together.

Not sure I would like to be on any beach in this heat. But, do not think it will have any effect on increasing infection rates.

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 13:21:34

Well if there were one metre apart they're following guidelines!

Witzend Thu 25-Jun-20 13:23:05

IMO sometimes the reports are exaggerated.

During the previous heatwave my dd and SiL twice took Gdcs to a stretch of Bournemouth beach where there was masses of space for people to spread out. Gdcs adored it and Vitamin Sea is surely good for us.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if some newspapers were using archive ‘Phew what a scorcher!!’ photos, to wind and stir people up.

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jun-20 13:25:13

We had all these posts at May Bank holiday with the photos splashed everywhere of hugely crowded beaches there was VEDay with the street parties and then the more recent city protests I object to everyone lumped together and called idiots

You can go to the beach and be on your own I ve done it all the way through lockdown (yes I was allowed to go out) but you obviously can’t choose one of the main big beaches England is full of little breaches away from the main ones so if you want to go to the beach find a little cove or unused or little used beach I live by the beach and there are plenty of people sitting on it and again in the sea( not overcrowded) when I had my swim but you stay on your own you don’t have to go near anyone else (unless you’re on a big tourist beach which I wouldn’t dream of going to actually any time)
Everyone has to find their own level of protection and I see no reason why you can’t go out to an unbusy place

JenniferEccles Thu 25-Jun-20 15:53:07

I’m sure it’s possible to photograph a beach from a certain angle to make it appear busier than it actually is.

Having said that, this hot weather is bound to make coastal areas an attraction.

We need to get people back to work and children back to school.

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jun-20 16:01:07

It is jennifereccles I have a photo of my beach which looks quite different when you are on it everyone is just in family groups well spread out and the children are enjoying it
I m sure these beaches are full but maybe not cheek to jowel

It’s better to be out in the fresh air getting your vitamin D

TheFrugalPiggy Thu 25-Jun-20 16:07:14

The media exaggerate everything so I don't believe a word they say. People need to get out in the fresh air and the sunshine. This country needs to get back to normality.

JenniferEccles Thu 25-Jun-20 16:08:39

How lucky you are to live near the coast BlueBell !

We can get to the south coast in about an hour so it’s possible to visit for the day and we have found some quieter areas to go for a walk with a picnic.

I believe studies have found that a lot of those who were seriously ill and died from Covid were deficient in vitamin D.

It’s too hot today for me to be out in it though!

Squiffy Thu 25-Jun-20 16:10:27

lemongrove

Wonder if the councils have opened the loos? Wouldn’t want to swim there for a long time!

Loos on the south coast were vandalised, so were out of action. ?

MerylStreep Thu 25-Jun-20 16:15:14

I live in Southend. There was a doctered photo taken of our beaches printed in one of the nationals.
Our local paper printed a picture taken from the air. Completely different ?

Urmstongran Thu 25-Jun-20 16:43:51

We’ve been seeing pictures of crowded beaches accompanied by apocalyptic predictions for some time!

tidyskatemum Thu 25-Jun-20 17:06:32

So the 33 tons of litter cleared from the Bournemouth coast from yesterday was a figment of the imagination, was it? And is the major incident declared today an overreaction? I think not.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Jun-20 17:15:27

I have just gone on to Southend twitter page, the beaches are busy but groups are socially distanced.

The public toilets are open, clean and well supervised.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Jun-20 17:17:44

We were on one of the beaches along from Southend on Tuesday with family, we were all impressed with the maintenance of social distancing.

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jun-20 17:26:28

Yes !! grannygravy exactly even our ice cream stall has white stencilled places to stand on the prom The toilets have all been refurbished and are clean and bright
we have a tractor clean the beach every morning And it always looks pristine
Just got back from a swim jenniferecckes sorry to rub it in but my little town is pretty dead shop wise so I have to be proud of something ?

JenniferEccles Thu 25-Jun-20 17:31:37

“Just got back from a swim “

Stop it!!?

PamelaJ1 Thu 25-Jun-20 19:48:15

Our beach on Tuesday.
Lots of space at the moment.

sodapop Thu 25-Jun-20 20:07:24

The Dorset coast has been packed, the amount of litter collected was disgusting.

Grany Thu 25-Jun-20 20:20:51

People must think it's safe now to congregate out and about

Walk at a steady pace towards machine guns urges Johnson as 65,000 die

Forget Churchill writes Andy Stowe. The wartime leader Boris Johnson most resembles is General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, the blustering incompetent First World War commander in the TV series Blackadder which was popular when Johnson was a teenager.

Long before Johnson was talking about “wiffle waffle” and “spaffing” the cretinously posh, incompetent Melchett was encouraging the troops to go to deaths with uplifting gibberish like “tally-ho, yippety dip and zing zang spillip”. Translate his observation ‘if nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through’ into dog Latin and it could be Johnson’s family motto.

On the day after another 171 people died from coronavirus, Johnson announced such a significant easing of the lockdown as to render it meaningless. People are being invited to assess their own level of risk, meaning that those who feel themselves to be safe will engage in more contact with others guaranteeing that the epidemic spreads because it becomes impossible for people at high risk to avoid the virus.

The presidents of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons, Nursing, Physicians, and GPs have signed a joint letter to Johnson and other political leaders saying that there is a strong chance of still more lives being thrown away as a second wave of the virus happening and the infrastructure to deal with it still isn’t in place.

Channelling Melchett, he told the House of Commons “our long national hibernation is coming to an end”. A few hours later his chief scientific officer announced that the disease is becoming more widespread globally.

From July 4th, pubs in England will be able to re-open in a “covid-secure way”. Drinkers will be asked to give their names but won’t ask be required to show identification. As the Daily Telegraph cartoonist quipped, “If Mickey Mouse catches coronavirus we’ll have to tell Lord Lucan, Adolf Hitler and Marilyn Monroe”. There will be no standing at the bar but punters will need to wash their hands more. Anyone who has ever been in the men’s toilet of an English, Scottish or Welsh pub at 10.30 on a Saturday night will know that drinkers washing their hands is about as common as a free round of drinks from the landlord.

Public transport users will be expected to wear masks on buses and trains and to stay one metre away from each other. As more people are forced back to work this will become unsustainable. London double decker buses have a limit of twenty passengers at the moment. When children return to school it will be impossible for them to get to lessons with these restrictions and this will break down quickly.

Confusing and incoherent

You will be allowed to have guests from one other household inside your home. You are supposed to stay two metres apart from them, so you won’t be pouring their drinks. You can meet as many households as you want. Just not all at once. Presumably you can have them in two-hour slots with a gap so you can disinfect the sofa and door handles.

Or as Johnson so clearly said:

“Where it is possible to keep 2 metres apart people should. But where it is not, we will advise people to keep a social distance of ‘one metre plus’, meaning they should remain one metre apart, while taking mitigations to reduce the risk of transmission.”

None of this has the force of law. It’s just guidance in much the same way that your doctor might advise you not to have a kebab and ten pints too often.

It’s confusing and incoherent. Worse than that, it flies in the face of scientific and medical advice. The Financial Times reports:

“Chris Whitty, chief medical officer, this month said the two-metre rule was “going to carry on really for as long as this epidemic continues”. David King, the government’s former chief scientific adviser, warned that it was not yet safe to relax social-distancing rules indoors. Sir David, who has set up an alternative to the government’s Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies, said ministers had sidelined advice from their own body. “That quite clearly says it is soon to reduce the distance from two metres to one metre”.

This is unambiguous, yet Johnson offers nothing but an appeal to British exceptionalism burbling in his sub-Churchillian way that “we will continue to trust in the common sense and community spirit of the British people to follow this guidance, to carry us through and to see us to victory over this virus.”

Victory is some way off. There is no prospect of a vaccine this year; the number of cases globally has passed nine million; more than half of American states are seeing a rise in the number of cases; South Korea now has a second wave of infection; the Israeli state is considering a second lockdown and clusters of infection are being widely reported in British and German meat processing plants.

Johnson and his government are sitting atop a mountain of at least 65 000 corpses. Keir Starmer told him that he agrees with what the Tories are proposing to do. This is becoming his standard approach to everything they announce.

The Labour movement has to resist this mass murder by the Tories rather than going along with it. Workers who do not feel safe returning to their job should continue to be paid by the furlough scheme. All employers must have a responsibility to make sure that customers and workers are safe. Johnson is as complacent and irresponsible as Trump and Republicans like Texas governor Greg Abbott, people who are putting money in front of lives.

Create leaflet

Chardy Thu 25-Jun-20 22:07:00

Am on south coast with all loos open

ginny Thu 25-Jun-20 22:47:06

Surely many of these people on the beaches etc. are furloughed . Not safe to go to work where all sorts of h & s would be in place but safe to mix with unknown thousands. Doesn’t make sense to me. I bet there are a lot of people who have worked all though the last few months are more than a little miffed!

merlotgran Thu 25-Jun-20 23:04:07

I saw on the evening News that there was the usual idiot declaring there were far too many people on the beach not social distancing.

It clearly didn't dawn on him that he was one of them.