Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

To take a holiday or not

(74 Posts)
Emelle Thu 25-Jun-20 18:30:35

We have just had an email to say the holiday cottage we had booked will be open from the 4th July so our booking will go ahead. I'm surprised at how much this has unnerved me and left me wondering whether we should cut our losses. Anybody else feel a little nervous about going on holiday in the next few weeks or months?

SusieB50 Fri 26-Jun-20 13:40:19

We have just postponed a weeks holiday in Cornwall from 11th July two cottages, two families . One cottage said we were the first visitors so could arrive on that day , the other needed a day to clean after the first guests, and then 48 hrs left empty , so wanted to move the holiday forward 3 days which defeats the object of a holiday together. So complicated we have rebooked for next year ?

NanKate Fri 26-Jun-20 13:52:17

We are off to the New Forest on 17 July to a holiday cottage. Can’t wait, have no fears but will be sensible. Hooray ???

melp1 Fri 26-Jun-20 14:55:18

Had to cancel a family get together in May in Cornwall because of lockdown. Just had an email from our booking in Cornwall for the 4th July they're opening and we are allowed to go, its self catering so we are going. The only thing worrying us is the drive down, fear it may be really busy so may travel late in the day or on the Sunday. Can't wait, my son, daughter in law and grandaughters have managed to book some where close by and we haven't seen them since March.

boodymum67 Fri 26-Jun-20 15:07:03

Hi, I help run a disabled holiday group. Many of our holiday home owners are opening next month. They have worked so hard preparing the places. I would advise taking some anti septic sprays, masks for trips out and general common sense.

Enjoy everyone!

aonk Fri 26-Jun-20 15:35:54

We hadn’t got anything booked before lockdown so no worries there for us. I do hope that everyone who plans to go away will have a lovely time. It’s not for me though. I couldn’t bear a holiday in a cottage or similar especially at the moment. At home I cook, clean and sort out food supplies. Also go on country walks. I just wouldn’t want to transfer all that to a cottage which might not be as comfortable as home and where I’d be cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen. It wouldn’t be a break at all for me. I’m waiting until we can go to hotels and restaurants and safely be in towns and cities as well as the countryside or even travel abroad. Each to their own I guess!

aonk Fri 26-Jun-20 15:44:06

Can I add that much as I love my husband I need to be around other people as well and that’s possible at home.
Also I don’t understand why some posters aren’t keen on sleeping in a bed that others have used. I’m sure that the virus doesn’t live for long on fabric and you can use Dettol all in one spray which works on all surfaces including bedding, mattresses and cushions.

SunnySusie Fri 26-Jun-20 20:31:10

We have had a cottage booked in Devon in August and are going. Filling the car up with food and wine, lots of bleach and disinfectant. I have decided to take our own pillow cases, top sheet and lightweight blanket as I figure those things will be near our faces. I might use double pillow cases. Will put all the kitchen stuff through the dishwasher before we use it and wipe all the handles, work surfaces and toilets. Really looking forward to it.

BlueSky Fri 26-Jun-20 20:57:03

With all this extra cleaning and disinfecting there's probably never been a better time to travel and go on holiday!

Madgran77 Fri 26-Jun-20 21:01:08

We have also got a self catering place booked. We plan to go. We won't do our usual several meals out, we will eat at our holiday home. We might get fish and chips on the beach. I dont feel apprehensive because we have decided that that will keep us pretty much as safe as at home

2mason16 Sat 27-Jun-20 08:09:03

We are just back from Aus after being stranded there since New Year! OH ended up in hospital (kidney stones) so changed our flight home. While recuperating dd booked us 4 days on the coast self catering 1 wk before Aus lockdown. We loved it! Quiet coastal town of Lorne. We had lovely walks with our packed lunches. Enjoyed relaxed evenings on the balcony taking turns cooking dinner. So relaxing we would do it again anytime.

TwiceAsNice Sat 27-Jun-20 08:48:20

We cancelled a holiday in May and got refunded the accommodation , it was in France and we had not yet booked the ferries so no problem with that money. The owner of the holiday house has said he’s happy to rent it later in the summer if we want to go ahead.

We are waiting to see nearer the time but are thinking we may try and go in August if we can . We take our own bedding and towels and pillows and usually eat in a lot so may forgo eating out completely . If we go we will go by tunnel rather than usual ferry them you can stay in your car.

Family have booked 3 days camping at a site they know in July with outdoor showers and will take all their own food but I will stay at home then, too old for sleeping on the floor lol!

I am still very careful and have very limited contact with anyone other than immediate family . The beach scenes this week were astounding, what were people thinking!

glammanana Sat 27-Jun-20 08:56:37

My DD and I usually go away to Majorca for a girly week in May every year where we eat drink and sunbathe and travel around the Island by local buses,we obviously had to cancel when lockdown was enforced and also the fact that I lost my husband before lockdown came into effect.
This morning I have booked for next June and it gives us something to look forward to next year after such an horrendous year.

Ellianne Sat 27-Jun-20 09:01:26

TwiceasNice I simply couldn't go to France and not eat out!!

NannyYC Sat 27-Jun-20 09:07:17

I was 60 in May and had to have a lockdown birthday. My husband had arranged a large house somewhere (as a surprise for me) for us all which obviously had to be cancelled. It has been rebooked for 17/9. I am still happy to go as long as we are allowed more than two families inside at the same time overnight. As family it will be lovely just to spend that quality time together. I’m not worried about going out to restaurants or enclosed spaces. Walking in a NT property would be lovely with the grandchildren etc.
I think it is all dependant on what type of holiday you are taking and what you want to get from it. It’s not going to be much fun having to wear masks every time you are out or being very restricted in where or when you go. But if that doesn’t matter I say go, and enjoy yourself in a change of scenery ?

TwiceAsNice Sat 27-Jun-20 09:09:13

Ellison’s I get what you mean but we are going with another family so think it will still be fun and we’ll make a final decision if we go and the food is so much nicer to buy

TwiceAsNice Sat 27-Jun-20 09:10:12

Sorry Ellianne phone “corrected” your name!

Ellianne Sat 27-Jun-20 09:11:58

TwiceasNice yes, the markets have lovely produce. I've heard you have to walk down in one direction and back up in another. No meandering!

EllanVannin Sat 27-Jun-20 09:21:02

That'll be lovely for you Glamm and will do you both good so now you've got something to focus on. I'm so glad for you x

I'm waiting for next years flight list for Oz for July as it's a " big " year for celebrations. D is 60 in January and their wedding anniversary late July, of 40 years, so all being well I can be there. Something to aim for anyway.

Lucca Sat 27-Jun-20 09:21:49

I’m dithering a bit. I’ve paid deposit on an activity holiday on Corfu for September. The travel company are saying if I’m uncomfortable about travelling they would keep the deposit towards a holiday in 2021.
It’s a very good hotel and I’d be outdoors mostly but it’s the travel which concerns me. What do people think ?

suziewoozie Sat 27-Jun-20 20:27:17

Lucca it’s excellent that the company will let you transfer. That’s what I’d do as, for me, part of the pleasure of a holiday is anticipation and I’d be just waiting and worrying if I were going anywhere this year.

B9exchange Sat 27-Jun-20 21:10:17

We have booked a cottage in Gloucestershire for first week in August. Attractions, shops and restaurants will be open by then. I trust the owner to have cleaned the place as legally required, and it will be a great break, with DS, DiL and DGS joining us for a few days.

Then I got braver and booked a villa on SW France for last week in August. Yes, it will be the awful Ryanair, but we will wear masks and clean tray tables etc before sitting down, I have always done that anyway. I don't see that as any greater risk than a supermarket or hairdressers.

Advice was to book flights this weekend, as with the release of quarantine, the prices due to skyrocket on Monday!

Lucca Sat 27-Jun-20 22:02:52

suziewoozie

Lucca it’s excellent that the company will let you transfer. That’s what I’d do as, for me, part of the pleasure of a holiday is anticipation and I’d be just waiting and worrying if I were going anywhere this year.

Thanks. I think you’re right!

BlueSky Sat 27-Jun-20 22:59:47

Ellan I too have big birthday celebrations next year in Oz so let's keep our fingers crossed!
B9 good for you booking a villa in the SW France! My DH is very keen it's me that hesitant!