Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I was shielded - should I travel?

(61 Posts)
vickymeldrew Sat 27-Jun-20 21:02:48

Due to previous medical history I have been officially ‘shielding”. My DD lives in France with her DH and two young children aged 5&3. She is also 7 months pregnant.
In common with all other grans, I am bursting to see this little family again and every month that goes by seems such a waste of precious time. Normally, I visit every couple of months.
Should I brave Easyjet? Should I go on the Eurostar? Should I stay home and be safe? Should I wait for a vaccine?

icanhandthemback Sun 28-Jun-20 11:16:57

If you've been a shielder, I think it is too early to think of travelling abroad. I can understand why you want to go but it would be better to have the rest of a long life to enjoy your family rather than to jump too soon and find they are living a life without you. It is hard for you but being sensible at this stage may be a life saver.

Jillybird Sun 28-Jun-20 11:23:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

knspol Sun 28-Jun-20 11:30:10

DH is shielding and now had letter stating to carry on until end of July. Have already cancelled Sept trip abroad and not likely to even consider further trips abroad for some considerable time. As someone else said restrictions are being eased because there is now NHS capacity not because danger has reduced. Considering the recent mass gatherings the NHS might be needing all of their resources very soon.

Dyffryn Sun 28-Jun-20 11:51:47

I wouldn’t go as much as it would hurt me. I haven’t seen my gorgeous grandchildren for months and my heart hurts every day. I want to be around as they grow up so I keep telling myself a few more months won’t hurt. We have cancelled two holidays this year and I can’t see us going anywhere until there is a vaccine. Looking at what has been happening across the country recently with people having no regards for anyone but themselves I think I am definitely safer at home.

Flakesdayout Sun 28-Jun-20 11:54:11

I have been shielding and still am. Have my letter to say that I should remain vigilant etc until early August. I have just read that there is an increase in deaths from Covid19 so the virus is still out there and due to people not adhering to social distancing measures then there is likely to be spikes of infection. I would not consider travelling anywhere, the risk is still far too high. Do not put yourself and your family at risk. Just be patient.

4allweknow Sun 28-Jun-20 11:57:54

Wouldn't risk it. What about health insurance? Are we all still covered in the EU for Covid19. Lots of insurance companies exempt this from cover now. And as you are shielding you are knowingly putting yourself at risk. I can drive to the other end of the country to see my GS but I won't in case the car breaks down, I have an accident and have to make contact with loads of other environments and people. I am not shielding. Have patience.

Dustyhen2010 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:59:16

I would say don't go. From 28 weeks pregnant women have to be much more careful and apart from considering your own health you would never forgive yourself if you caused a problem for your daughter with the baby. I have just seen a very interesting interview on a political programme with a government scientist who is saying the risk is still there and it is no less likely to cause us a problem if we catch it. He was urging caution.

absthame Sun 28-Jun-20 12:41:52

The behaviour towards the old and those requiring shielding by this government is murderous. They are showing a total disregard for your safety and survival for other than the shortest of times.

It is not safe to expose yourself, beyond what is necessary, until a suitable treatment or vaccine is available.

ReadyMeals Sun 28-Jun-20 12:56:01

I'd not book trips to anywhere abroad with this proposed "traffic light" system. We'd never know when the lights might turn red for our destination and waste the ticket.

MawB Sun 28-Jun-20 13:21:50

absthame

The behaviour towards the old and those requiring shielding by this government is murderous. They are showing a total disregard for your safety and survival for other than the shortest of times.

It is not safe to expose yourself, beyond what is necessary, until a suitable treatment or vaccine is available.

I don’t think you can accuse anybody of murderous behaviour when it is up to the individual to choose whether to break the regulations or be sensible and follow them. Too many people who should no better are making exceptions for themselves.
Hugging grandchildren cuddling new babies, visiting other houses, - all understandable but inconsistent with protection from a virus which is lethal for the very old, the vulnerable and even babies.

MawB Sun 28-Jun-20 13:23:25

vickymeldrew

Due to previous medical history I have been officially ‘shielding”. My DD lives in France with her DH and two young children aged 5&3. She is also 7 months pregnant.
In common with all other grans, I am bursting to see this little family again and every month that goes by seems such a waste of precious time. Normally, I visit every couple of months.
Should I brave Easyjet? Should I go on the Eurostar? Should I stay home and be safe? Should I wait for a vaccine?

In answer to OP’s 4 questions.

No
No
Yes
There may be a very long wait,

Applegran Sun 28-Jun-20 13:40:30

I have not been shielding but am vulnerable because I am old - its hard to foresee what will happen, but I think it likely that I"ll never fly again. Too risky. And I'm dismayed to learn that even if there is a vaccine (and along with everyone else, I much hope there will be) older people will probably get very limited protection due to our weaker immune systems. So Mr Apple and I are thinking we will do home swaps which we've done in the past and had great holidays - free! A home has only to be deep cleaned once and there are no staff or guests coming and going as in a hotel. And we will do swaps in the UK, so we can avoid public transport. We use www.guardianhomeexchange.co.uk and there are lots of great swaps available in this country and all over the world. But it may be harder to arrange a swap right now as lots of other people will probably have the same idea!

Chardy Sun 28-Jun-20 14:05:15

It would take a lot to get me on a plane at the moment (but I think that's more me being neurotic than being scientific)

gillyknits Sun 28-Jun-20 14:06:23

I also am classed as extreme vulnerable and had a letter last week stating what I can and can’t do. We were going to celebrate our golden wedding anniversary in early August, with a family party, but have decided to cancel . Not worth the risk especially if we couldn’t get out in the garden and we’re all cooped up in the house.
Can always try again next year.

BlueSky Sun 28-Jun-20 14:19:07

Bet you wish you never asked Vicky!

Priviliged Sun 28-Jun-20 14:24:53

I, like many grans on here, will understand how much you want to see them BUT shielding doesn't officially end until August 1st (as long as there is no second spike in the meantime). Flying is very risky in the recirculated cabin air and you could either carry something to your family or be ill yourself and take up valuable health resources in either country. Shielding takes courage and is not just about your health but that of all around you. You have stuck to it until now - in many ways nothing has changed. Don't risk it.

moggie57 Sun 28-Jun-20 14:33:14

well i would leave it till a few weeks time .get all the info you can on health safety... have you asked your family what they think .if you been shielding i would be very wary of travelling abroad.. every time i been out i get a hacking cough.(only lasts a few days then goes) even though i am wear a face shield. i would give it another month at least...

Purplepoppies Sun 28-Jun-20 14:59:40

You got off lightly GaGaJo. I travelled Sleazyjet last week. They are not blocking alternate seats. Luckily the flight wasn't busy.
I had no choice btw, it wasn't a holiday, I was attending my mum's funeral ?

Joesoap Sun 28-Jun-20 16:19:28

I am in a dilemma,I had to leave our house in the UK very hastily in March and I really miss it and hope it is all right,my neighbour looks after it for me, but I really want to get there, I could now travel as some airlines have started to fly again, but there woold be two weekls quarantine first, which wouldnt matter really, but I would want two more weeks to do what I need to do, I am patiently waitng for Boris to ease the quarantine a bit, but how safe would it be to travel in the UK? to my home on public transport.We havent had lock down, just restrictions, its a problem.We booked our return to the UK in January and hoping our airline will not cancel that trip, but I would LOVE to visit sooner than mid September.Has anyone got good advice please Gransnetters

Maremia Sun 28-Jun-20 16:30:09

vickymeldrew, if you are shielding then it's for a reason. Medics, looking at your case history, have calculated that you are one of the Public unlikely to survive Covid 19. The UK Government, not the SAGE scientists, now advises you to use your 'common sense', which is code for 'if you go out and catch Corona, it's your own fault'. Stay safe, it will pass.

Maremia Sun 28-Jun-20 16:37:31

Joesoap, it might depend on where in the UK you want to be. Infection rates are probably different in each zone, not that they are telling us any more at daily briefings. From newspaper sources, the city of Leicester seems about to go back into lockdown. You don't need to be specific, but are you coming from a country with a lower risk than the UK?

Stella14 Sun 28-Jun-20 17:08:52

No, I think travelling, particularly negotiating airports and flying, is a very high risk activity. Hubby and I certainly wouldn’t consider it.

Joesoap Sun 28-Jun-20 18:05:26

Maremia, I am coming from Sweden, to Cumbria, not too sure how we are classed really because of the no lock down here.If I get a flight to Manchester there is a direct train to Cumbria.What are my chances do you think?

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-20 18:11:32

Joesoap, Have a look at the Foreign Office travel advice for Sweden. There's a section you can click on which covers returning to the UK.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-20 18:12:37

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sweden/return-to-the-uk