Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I was shielded - should I travel?

(61 Posts)
vickymeldrew Sat 27-Jun-20 21:02:48

Due to previous medical history I have been officially ‘shielding”. My DD lives in France with her DH and two young children aged 5&3. She is also 7 months pregnant.
In common with all other grans, I am bursting to see this little family again and every month that goes by seems such a waste of precious time. Normally, I visit every couple of months.
Should I brave Easyjet? Should I go on the Eurostar? Should I stay home and be safe? Should I wait for a vaccine?

Grannmarie Sun 28-Jun-20 19:47:30

Purplepoppiesflowers, so sorry about your Mum.

Joesoap Sun 28-Jun-20 22:05:37

Thank you Merlotgran

GagaJo Mon 29-Jun-20 09:37:42

Joesoap, also to make you aware, most airlines are only flying into London. And there are few trains. I had to rent a car and drive from Heathrow to Newcastle because there were no trains.

Harris27 Mon 29-Jun-20 09:40:50

I wouldn’t be going on a plane in the near future definitely not!

Annefozzie Mon 29-Jun-20 23:09:16

I know the feeling . My DD and Grandson live in Luxembourg,I would love to go and visit . She has asked me to go to Mykonos with them in August, I have said no. I am 69 , and in good health. I would need to fly to Lux and then we fly together to Mykonos from Germany and the return journey the same. 4 flights for me, recycled air in the cabin! I am not going to risk getting the virus. I don’t know when I’ll get to see them both again and it’s very upsetting. Lock down on my own has been really difficult, and I have returned to the dark place of losing my Husband suddenly two years ago from cancer ., and missing him in this very lonely time.
I pray a vaccine for this terrible virus can be found quite soon.

Elrel Tue 30-Jun-20 00:45:28

Good to see so much caution and thoughtful advice on this thread. Unfortunately there seems to be a worrying tendency for a lot of people to feel that it’s all over. It so isnt!

vickymeldrew Tue 30-Jun-20 12:29:26

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful responses. Although I wouldn’t wish my situation on anyone else, it is so helpful to hear from people who actually understand the situation. When you’re surrounded by friends enjoying their families and still complaining they can’t touch them yet, it’s hard to smile sympathetically. Good luck to us all !

Sgilley Wed 01-Jul-20 16:51:59

No I wouldn’t travel abroad

jacksonm Wed 20-Jan-21 14:35:58

I'm not sure you should wait. Personally, I plan to travel with my son to Africa when the borders will be opened. I haven't been there in 10 years, I wonder what has changed there. Tired of staying at home, lockdown is crazy. I'm not afraid of traveling at all.

BlueSky Wed 20-Jan-21 18:44:59

Vickymeldrew did you get to see your daughter and new baby or are you still patiently waiting?