Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hairdresser disaster

(110 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 10-Jul-20 21:39:24

Had an appointment for the first time since lockdown with my usual hairdresser. Told they had Covid training and things would be different. However I walked in, on time to find the place full and was asked to wait. The 2 staff, one is the owner, were wearing visors, none of the 3 customers. It's a small place. I sat for a couple of minutes, decided it was unsafe and left, furious. The owner phoned later with explanations and the offer of another appointment when it is less busy, I told the owner that the environment felt unsafe. I have lost confidence in them. No one else I know who has had an appointment at other salons has had this experience. I am reluctant to give them a second chance with so much at stake at the moment.

welbeck Sat 18-Jul-20 18:40:31

i would not want to go anywhere that clients were not wearing masks. or using sanitiser on entry.
they obviously have extra costs, the fact that they can see fewer clients for a start.
some people pay very little for a dry cut, under £10, presumably women, who are always charged more for the same thing.
by the way re grey hair; fashion students, young women, near here dye their hair grey/ silver. it is the latest thing apparently. and that intense silver shampoo in deep violet bottles looks intriguing. i have some, never used yet. just like the look of it. pound shop for tiny one.
provoke, touch of silver, for blonde, platinum or white hair, brightening shampoo. thanks for sharing experiences.

Furret Sat 18-Jul-20 21:02:00

Not impressed by my hairdresser at all. Not offered any hand sanitiser had to ask. She was wearing a plastic visor as was the other hairdresser. One other customer but not wearing a mask. I wore mine.

I washed my hair beforehand, she cut it and then I left with it wet.

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Jul-20 23:24:15

Had my first appointment on Friday. I had my temperature checked before I even got inside. There was a small table in the entrance with hand sanitiser and a box of disposable masks. I had taken my own but hairdresser said the hair dye might get on it so I used a disposable one which was fine.

He wore a visor and disposable apron and my covering was disposable , not the usual cloth. There was only ever one other person there at the same time as me on the opposite side of the salon with out backs to each other. When she left I watched the other stylist wash her chair and everything else around where she sat , with disinfectant spray.

I was really impressed and was so pleased to have my hair back to normal

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-Jul-20 23:26:43

I did pay £8 more than before but understand this and it was worth every penny!

Furret Sun 19-Jul-20 06:45:21

Now that sounds more like it Twice. I paid £41 for a wet cut. I think it’s time for a new hairdresser.

Daisymae Sun 19-Jul-20 08:24:25

I have an appointment this week with a mobile hairdresser who is taking everything seriously. I am going to have my hair cut in the garden and will blow dry myself. Seems more inline with current situation.

Ohmother Sun 19-Jul-20 10:51:30

Medium cut to shortish. T section Highlights 2 colours and wash n cut. I’ll blow dry it myself £50. I wore a mask and they complied to regulations. Feel great!

faye17 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:36:23

I'm with you DaisyMae
My hair salon hasn't re-opened since March & the owner ( my hairdresser) is now a mobile service. She messaged me with an offer to do my hair at home back in April which was completely against all safety regulations at the time. I politely refused. Once new regulations came in she again messaged me offering to call to my home & do my hair. By this stage I was tempted as my hair has not been coloured or cut since January & I am a sight. However she went on to say that she would wear a mask IF I WANTED HER TO - so needless to say I havent been in Lock down for months just to allow someone who obviously is going from house to house without proper pps to sort out my hair.
I don't know how/ when I'll be able to safely get it done so I think I'll just concentrate on losing the 20 lbs weight I've gained - stick the hair in a baseball cap & get back walking.... milesgrin

Tweedle24 Tue 21-Jul-20 13:35:32

OhMother My understanding is that small businesses, hairdressers included, could claim £10,000 via their local council but, that was just to keep them going over the lockdown. That £10,000 covered 3+ months with no income but, rents rates etc still had to be paid out of that as well as the PPE, extra cleaning equipment and antiviral solutions. I don’t think asking a little extra for a hairdo is unreasonable, particularly as they can now serve far fewer clients than usual and, after all, we have saved the cost of hairdos during lockdown ourselves.