Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Sir Tom.

(153 Posts)
Crazygran Fri 17-Jul-20 13:24:45

So so pleased to hear that the Queen will be knighting Captain Tom herself .He deserves the best and she truly is whether you are a Royalist or not . Keep safe Your Majesty , your country needs you ?

Smileless2012 Fri 17-Jul-20 13:29:30

I've never been a royalist Crazygran but as she and I have got older, I've grown rather fond of her.

I'm so pleased that an exception is being made for that wonderful man Captain Tomsmile. They are both an inspiration.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jul-20 13:29:51

A busy day for the Queen. Princess Beatrice got married in a secret service at Windsor Castle this morning.

annep1 Fri 17-Jul-20 14:16:22

What does that mean.. she's the best?

Bellanonna Fri 17-Jul-20 14:28:02

Surely it’s just a saying, annep1, meaning she’s good, the person thinks highly of her. Yes, Crazygran, I agree.

Esspee Fri 17-Jul-20 15:10:00

I’m no royalist but have a high level of admiration for the queen, long may she reign.
Charles is another matter entirely and hopefully he will drop the idea of insisting his wife becomes Queen when he becomes King. No way will the people accept her as anything other than consort.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jul-20 16:06:21

Eespee, Camilla won't be anything other than consort. She'll be Queen consort.

She's earned her stripes!

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 16:07:52

the people
You cannot speak for everyone, Esspee, I'm sure some would.

Well done, Your Majesty, Captain Tom deserves his knighthood.

I didn't realise that Beatrice had got married. No pomp and circumstance for her, then.
Very wise.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jul-20 16:07:59

I've just watched the video of the Queen knighting Sir Tom.

She's a bit unsteady on her feet now and the way she was brandishing the sword he's lucky she didn't have his eye out!! shock shock grin

merlotgran Fri 17-Jul-20 16:12:29

I feel really happy for Beatrice, Calli. She's been dealt a shitty hand what with Prince Andrew and coronavirus putting a spanner in the works as far as her wedding was concerned.

It was indeed a wise move. If they'd waited any longer who knows whether or not Prince Philip would have been able to attend and she obviously wanted her grandparents there.

He's a bit of a dish and she'll have a title of her own now. grin

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 16:15:29

Yes, she's a Countess now, isn't she?

She has had a shitty time of it like a lot of couples who would have got married this year, added to which she must be in turmoil over her father.

I wish them both well.

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 16:16:13

merlotgran

I've just watched the video of the Queen knighting Sir Tom.

She's a bit unsteady on her feet now and the way she was brandishing the sword he's lucky she didn't have his eye out!! shock shock grin

grin

maddyone Fri 17-Jul-20 16:24:47

Awww, bless Sir Tom. He’s a wonderful old man. He deserves his knighthood.

BlueSky Fri 17-Jul-20 18:51:13

Pleased for Beatrice, poor girl she almost had her dreams shattered because of Covid! And well done Your Majesty still going strong like the proverbial Duracell batteries! Lastly but not least, Congratulations sir Tom! ?

Calendargirl Fri 17-Jul-20 18:57:12

Sorry Crazygran I started a similar thread under News, didn’t see this one.

rubysong Fri 17-Jul-20 19:03:31

I'm happy for Camilla to be Queen when the time comes, but I would dream of assuming all people think the same.

Bellanonna Fri 17-Jul-20 19:04:32

I don’t think the same

rubysong Fri 17-Jul-20 19:04:53

'wouldn't' not would.

tickingbird Fri 17-Jul-20 19:17:25

Arise Sir Tom. Very well deserved and pleased Beatrice had her wedding with her gran there.

annep1 Fri 17-Jul-20 19:44:19

Espee cannot speak for everyone
and neither can Crazygran.

BlueSky Fri 17-Jul-20 20:02:41

Camilla has gone from being the most hated woman in the UK to not only be accepted, but liked and admired by many. All this in 20 years. And she will be Queen Consort as the Queen Mother before her and the duchess of Cambridge after.

Anniebach Fri 17-Jul-20 21:15:03

Wonderful day for Sir Tom.

Hope we see wedding photographs of Beatrice’s wedding tomorrow.

Camilla will make an excellent queen consort, those who think
she shouldn’t take the title, do you think the same of all women who marries a divorced man ?

CanadianGran Fri 17-Jul-20 22:02:33

I saw the photo of Sir Tom and the Queen; it brought a tear to my eye! Two seniors from different walks of life brought together honouring duty to their country (that's a bad sentence, but you get my meaning). Well done.

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 22:05:06

annep1

^Espee cannot speak for everyone^
and neither can Crazygran.

It's sad that you can't be pleased for an old man who has done so much to raise money for the NHS.

He is honoured and thrilled to receive this knighthood in person from his Monarch. That is all that matters.

maddyone Fri 17-Jul-20 23:42:04

Camilla certainly has ‘earned her stripes.’ She has quietly got on with the job, and she has supported her husband and made him happy. She deserves to be Queen Consort, but actually I don’t think she’d bother if she wasn’t. But she will be, and I’ll be happy to see her in that position.