Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Paranoia

(20 Posts)
Luckyoldbeethoven Sun 19-Jul-20 18:22:46

Gagajo I had exactly the same symptoms as you ten days ago, friend had the same. Both of us tested for Covid-19 and negative. Clearly there's another virus doing the rounds.

I've also had some hay fever, there's lots of tree pollen at the moment. Hope you feel better soon.

Illte Sun 19-Jul-20 17:54:55

I'd find the test reassuring. But I'd probably still stay away from other people just on case.

Belt and braces. ??

Illte Sun 19-Jul-20 17:52:35

I was thinking more of the infection possibilities if people are dismissing a cough as allergy or summer cold.

craftyone Sun 19-Jul-20 17:08:51

you don`t need a test, take care of yourself by getting and using an oximeter. That will tell you if your lungs are needing help and should be your signpost to see the doctor, if the reading is below 95

Illte Sun 19-Jul-20 16:42:31

Please everyone, get a test.

Even if you think it's an allergy, a summer cold. Get a test.
Don't think it can't happen to you.

Please.

Rosalyn69 Sun 19-Jul-20 15:43:41

I have had exactly the same symptoms as GagaJo on and off for weeks now. I have put it down to allergies. I am pretty sure it’s not CV and in a way it’s reassuring to know I’m not the only one suffering in this way.
I’m not asthmatic.

GrannySomerset Sun 19-Jul-20 15:11:29

A bit late in the season for rape, but grass pollen is everywhere. Like suedonim I developed geriatric onset hay fever, having never suffered before, and this year has been really trying. Go outside to top up Vit D and sneeze, cough and itch, or stay indoors and become pale and dull? Tough call!

seacliff Sun 19-Jul-20 15:01:41

I too have had bad bouts of hay fever recently. For several years I had hardly noticed it, this year is very bad, and now, not earlier in the season. Even when its been raining.

It does seem exactly like normal hay fever to me. I do not have a high temperature, so I am not too worried.

Perhaps consult your doctor again if it's still bad in a couple of weeks.

Sparklefizz Sun 19-Jul-20 14:46:26

Weed pollen is very high in the UK at the moment, particularly nettles. I belong to Asthma UK and they send me updates.

25Avalon Sun 19-Jul-20 14:44:22

Have you got any oil seed rape growing near you? It can produce the symptoms people have on here. I don’t normally suffer from hay fever but osr makes my chest feel tight and breathing not so easy.

maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 14:35:53

Gaga
I have asthma too, and I’ve had a hacking cough for about three or four weeks now. I’m certain it’s not Coronavirus as I have no other symptoms and I often have a cough anyway, despite using my steroid inhaler, long acting bronchodilator, Ventolin to top up, and Montelukast. Apparently Ventolin won’t help with Coronavirus so if Ventolin gives at least temporary relief, it shouldn’t be the virus.
I haven’t had a summer cold for years, but I do cough in hay fever season.

SueDonim Sun 19-Jul-20 13:43:24

Hay fever is a relatively new thing for me, since reaching my 60’s, but I’ve had runny, gungy eyes and a cough for weeks now. I’m absolutely certain it’s not the ‘Rona as I had a negative test in early May when I had a painful throat and high temperature.

GagaJo Sun 19-Jul-20 13:36:41

I think the thing is also, normally, we'd be getting colds. But with no contact with others and lots of hand washing, those colds aren't happening. Have any of you had a summer cold this year?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Jul-20 12:44:48

I think lockdown has made us all more aware of our bodies along with immediate surroundings.

In pre COVID times I guess we were all busy and otherwise occupied to pay much attention to sniffs and coughs (as an asthmatic I have been methodical in taking all my meds, whereas pre COVID I was more relaxed in my approach to checking my peak flow and spacing out medication times)

lemongrove Sun 19-Jul-20 12:31:41

We have worse hayfever this year than usual, I think it’s all the dry weather, yes, it’s miserable but normal.If anyone really is worried it’s good to ask for a test.

EllanVannin Sun 19-Jul-20 12:16:48

This virus has set everyone on edge I think. I've never bothered with the odd cold etc in the past but find myself at times feeling my forehead which I never did before----then again not everyone has a fever either ! Worried ? Yes of course I do now.

BlueSky Sun 19-Jul-20 12:07:19

GagaJo in the past any such symptoms were just dismissed as summer cold or hay fever, nowadays they get us panicking and send us straight to the Testing centre! Not sure where being careful ends and paranoia begins, but better be safe than sorry, as they say!

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jul-20 11:59:18

I have had cough from grass pollen for the first time this year. I have to get somepne in to mow the lawn as I cannot do it without wheezing.

annodomini Sun 19-Jul-20 11:54:03

Allergies are bad this year. I was talking to a friend who is having just the same symptoms- coughs and snuffles and sometimes a headache. Even when I've only been out to the bin, I come back in sneezing, nose spray, inhaler and antihistamines notwithstanding.

GagaJo Sun 19-Jul-20 11:04:11

I’ve been having headaches, have post nasal drip, had coughing fits, sore and dry throat. Shortness of breath. Had to use my asthma inhaler for the first time in months in the night. As a result, I had a C19 test - negative.

I do suffer from hay fever but these symptoms aren’t usual for me. They’re making me anxious.