Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Holiday in Brittany anyone?

(82 Posts)
maddyone Sun 19-Jul-20 19:06:14

The R rate in Brittany has spiked recently, going from 0.92 to 2.62. We had thought that after lockdown it would be nice to get away for a week or so, travelling via the ferry to Brittany. I had checked out holiday cottages and found a number that seemed suitable, in the country, fairly isolated, but near enough to shops to buy provisions. Our son and daughter are both going on holiday at the end of August and so it seemed an ideal opportunity to escape for a few days. However, with the R rate rising in Brittany, it seems that it’s no longer a good idea.
Anyone else feel that any chance of a few days escape is evaporating?

Alexa Sun 30-Aug-20 10:27:12

BlueBelle it was actually quite unRitz sometimes. Just after the war in France was not too comfortable. One hostel was a villa by the sea called Villa Ker Yvonne. The mere aubergiste had no blankets , and we shivered in out cotton sleeping bags.

Another hostel was old wartime underground tunnels in Quiberon, and it was so damp all the hostellers had to take the mattresses and blankets outdoors every morning to air them.

The mere aubergiste in St Brieuc had an unhappy and grudging air, and we wondered if she thought we were Bosch,instead of Scottish

I do find a little discomfort makes for a really memorable holiday. I paid for my holiday in Brittany from a small legacy from three dear adopted grandmothers.

Alexa Sun 30-Aug-20 10:36:12

Ellianne, what a lovely place! Thank you. Just the sort of scenery I like.
Oh Ploumanac'h! I wonder what the name means. The language is supposed to be like Welsh I think.

EllanVannin Sun 30-Aug-20 10:49:50

Does anyone get the feeling we're being brainwashed ?

Ellianne Sun 30-Aug-20 12:05:22

Does anyone get the feeling we're being brainwashed?
A lot worse things to discuss on a lovely Sunday morning, EV. grin I hope you were being cheeky!

EllanVannin Sun 30-Aug-20 12:21:54

Just a thought concerning the virus, that's all Ellianne smile

BlueSky Sun 30-Aug-20 19:18:08

Elianne it was exciting and romantic just because we were young! I've been feeling quite nostalgic lately, guess it's old age creeping on...