Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I completely forgot the pandemic

(57 Posts)
kangaroo73 Sun 26-Jul-20 10:33:11

Yesterday after a long walk I saw my neighbour upon my return. She’d just been to pick up her little dog’s ashes with her son. She wanted to show me them so invited me in. She then offered me coffee which I accepted. We sat and chatted for about an hour. It wasn’t until I went back home and my granddaughter who lives with me asked if I’d socially distanced that I realised my mistake. I had completely forgotten about the pandemic, the rules - everything. All along I’ve been so careful to the point of neurosis. How could I have been so foolish. Now I’m worried. I’m 74, my neighbour is 81.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jul-20 06:46:48

However small the risk, I wouldn't dream of going into an elderly neighbour's home.

It's perfectly possible to meet outside, so why risk it and possibly put somebody in danger?

kangaroo73 is quite right to feel foolish and worried.

Seajaye Tue 28-Jul-20 08:15:21

What's done is done. As long as you are not doing this with multiple people multiple times the risk to either person is low.

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jul-20 09:09:36

Hetty58
What would you do, if like me you have a very confused neighbour who needs my help ( in her home) on a regular basis ?
She is often distressed and needs a hug. There is no way on gods earth that I'm going to stand there watching this lovely lady crying and not put my arms round her.
So be it.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jul-20 11:54:56

MerylStreep, I really wouldn't feel obliged - or at all comfortable, helping out (or hugging) a neighbour.

I'd actively seek out all the help the person needs, though, from her family, GP and Social Services.

Have you thought about seeking professional help? Perhaps she could benefit from a needs assessment if she's often distressed?

GrannySomerset Tue 28-Jul-20 11:57:24

We have DD and family here next weekend, having not seen them this year and will be careful but not obsessive. On Sunday we are being joined by other relatives for a socially distanced picnic lunch - outdoors, ideally, but in the house if necessary. I realise that all this carries some risk but feel it is not unreasonable, and the benefit to our mental health will be enormous. And after all, what are anti-viral wipes for?

Flygirl Wed 29-Jul-20 01:22:29

Don't be frightened of your own shadow. Just look at how this is changing people through fear. Its just not natural to be socially estranged like this, which is why you acted as you normally would/should without another thought. Mentally, you probably both did each other a power of good. And that is fantastic for your immune system anyway! Enjoy your life, otherwise, what's the point? We must stop the fearmongering or we shall all be dead inside anyway. This lady lost her pet and needed somebody to talk to. You did the right thing!