Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Angry

(64 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 02-Aug-20 19:04:41

So, other than travelling by plane twice to and from my overseas job (risky I know, but I need an income) I have been very careful. I don't go out where there are other people much. IF I have to, I wear a mask. I've seen my bloke once (after he was tested) in 6 months.

My daughter has a friend across the road. She and her husband are working from home. Daughter has been seeing her friend for the last couple of weeks. They're in a bubble (?!). EXCEPT it turns out, they're not. The woman's 2 children go to nursery.

Now the friend's family is ill. Just a cold. Except they tested today for C19.

I'm really worried. I have asthma. My blood pressure isn't high, but not far off it. I'm overweight. Oh, and I'm older.

I'm angry too. Selfish daughter. Bloody idiot daughter.

merlotgran Wed 05-Aug-20 00:12:50

DD2 is awaiting the results of tests for Covid. She also has no sense of taste or smell. She says her nose feels like all her nasal hairs are stuck together.

Early Saturday morning she woke up with a high temperature and diarrhoea. To begin with she thought it must be a stomach bug but unable to get out of bed with extreme fatigue, she arranged a test for her and her DH. We've been very worried about her all weekend.

She is feeling slightly better today although now has a sore throat. Her DH's test has come back negative but hers hasn't turned up yet.

I'm very worried and everything is crossed.

Franbern Wed 05-Aug-20 09:07:25

One of my great nieces has a daughter who was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease a couple of years ago. Very sad, as it is a lifetime condition - can be managed, but not cured.
The whole family did contract Covid19 back in April, all (including this little girl) recovered very easily and well.

There still does seem to be the reaction of 'We are all going to die' about his panademic. Yes, it does appear to be highly contageous, but has a low morbitity rate.

Bubbles were meant to give people living by themselves (or just wth a child/children under 18 yrs), the opportunity to ease their isolation. Your Bubble family means that you count as part of that family group, can cuddle (if you wish), stay overnight, etc.

Iam64 Wed 05-Aug-20 09:45:31

merlotgran, please let us know when your daughter's test result arrives. Here's hoping it isn't covid x

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Aug-20 09:48:25

merlotgran hoping the test comes back negative ?

Hetty58 Wed 05-Aug-20 09:58:50

Why do people put so much faith in the test results?

'The test is not 100% accurate; at present it is thought to detect approximately 70% of coronavirus infections.

A negative test does not mean that you stop self-isolating if you have coronavirus symptoms.'

(https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/working-for-us/staff/documents)

GagaJo Wed 05-Aug-20 10:27:12

Grandson and I are self isolating. We were going out to unpopulated places but cars out of action so even that's stopped.

Daughter was supposedly social distancing but wasn't. She is isolating now.

merlotgran Wed 05-Aug-20 13:13:53

Thankfully, DD's test has come back negative but that now begs the question, what is she suffering from?

Diarrhoea and stomach cramps obviously point to a bug or food poisoning but she and her DH ate the same food on Friday and he's been fine.

The high temperature, weakness, sore throat and headache pointed to Covid, that's why she ordered a test but thankfully it's not that (according to the test result)

She's feeling a little better today so maybe it was a bug that's done its worst. I've suggested she contact her GP because she had an appointment at the surgery the day before she became ill so she might have picked up or even passed on something there.

At least she is now on the mend. Phew!!

MawB Wed 05-Aug-20 13:24:03

GagaJo

Grandson and I are self isolating. We were going out to unpopulated places but cars out of action so even that's stopped.

I don’t understand why you are self-isolating unless you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive.

There’s such a thing as over anxiety - can’t you just exercise your own judgement and common sense.

There was a good article the other day about COVID related hypochondria. When I find it I’ll post a link.

merlotgran Wed 05-Aug-20 13:24:43

I agree with your post, Hetty. I have my doubts about DD's test result because she had an appointment at her GP surgery about 36 hrs before she became ill - a possible source of infection.

A week before that they stopped off at Craven Arms in Shropshire on their way home from holiday in Wales. The next day I read that 21 people had tested positive at a caravan park there. They didn't go into the park but had coffee at a visitors' centre.

TBH I was amazed that she tested negative. Hopefully it is correct because she is insisting she's OK now and not to worry, Mum!

MawB Wed 05-Aug-20 13:28:15

Found it.
Yesterday’s DT
Steep increase in hypochondria
Coronavirus has triggered a rise in health anxiety, a new study has found, after lockdown and global uncertainty significantly affected mental health. The increase was even more prevalent among the most vulnerable groups.

The research, done by the University of Bath and published in the journal American Psychologist, is the first to examine people’s coping styles in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic

Previous studies have estimated that between four and six per cent of the general population have health anxiety, also known as hypochondria, a condition which causes people to worry so much about being or becoming ill that it can take over their life

The research concluded that around one in three (37.5 per cent) reached clinical levels for at least one of three conditions – anxiety, depression and hypochondria, slightly higher than rates seen after previous pandemics.

Dr Hannah Rettie, from the University of Bath’s department of psychology, said: “These results have implications as we [help] people distressed by these challenging [times]

MawB Wed 05-Aug-20 13:29:36

Merlot as I read it the cases in Craven Arms were travellers at a travellers’ campsite rather than holidaymakers.
Try not to worry!

GagaJo Wed 05-Aug-20 13:35:50

MawB

GagaJo

I don’t understand why you are self-isolating unless you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive.

There’s such a thing as over anxiety - can’t you just exercise your own judgement and common sense.

There was a good article the other day about COVID related hypochondria. When I find it I’ll post a link.

I have to take risks for work Maw, so don't add any extra. I'm not overly paranoid. I will go to the local corner shop or for an evening walk. But not much else. I've got a few risk factors so am being very careful.

To my mind, its checks and balances. I'll be on a plane back to work in 2 weeks. That's a BIG risk.

merlotgran Wed 05-Aug-20 13:37:33

MawB

Merlot as I read it the cases in Craven Arms were travellers at a travellers’ campsite rather than holidaymakers.
Try not to worry!

grin Well, they won't have gone in there