Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Post lockdown visits to the dentist

(96 Posts)
aonk Mon 17-Aug-20 11:56:53

I’m wondering how people have been getting on with recent visits to the dentist. I’ve had the same dentist for a number of years and have always been very comfortable and happy going there to see him and the hygienist. Since they reopened it’s been a different story. You have to wait outside ( at least it wasn’t raining) and all the staff there are so preoccupied with the new regime that I felt rushed and didn’t feel that I was listened to when pointing out a problem. I couldn’t believe the increase in fees either. This time last year I was paying £45 for 30 minutes with the hygienist. This increased to £50 in January and is now £75! I know they have had to spend a lot of money on new equipment but feel this is a very large increase. What do others think?

Brownflopsy Tue 18-Aug-20 14:55:57

Nannan2: I suppose I could if it becomes unbearable, but I pay into a treatment plan with my current dentist (who is good), which I would not be able to use if I opt to do that - even if I could get an appoitment elsewhere, which seems unlikely given tbe current situation.

I completely understand that things are difficult, but the attitude of the receptionist really got my back up as she automatically assumed I would have sympathy with the dentist wanting a holiday, eventhough she has not treated any patients for months.

Is it just me?

cupcake1 Tue 18-Aug-20 15:04:37

I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago to replace a filling. Prior to going I filled in various forms relating to Covid. I waited in the car park to be called in and when I did was greeted with the nurse wearing full PPE. She took my temperature and I sanitised my hands. I had to wear a mask through reception and into the dentist surgery, only then was I allowed to take it off. One way in one way out system. My dentist was in full PPE and when about to start drilling went and put another gas mask like contraption on (he called it his Darth Vader Outfit!) I felt very safe. Like many others he has to sanitise and leave the surgery for an hour between patients which obviously dramatically cuts patient numbers. Myself and DH are Denplan so no extra charges apart from the usual annual rise which was minimal.

Magrithea Tue 18-Aug-20 15:04:50

I visited the dentist not long after they re-opened to get a broken tooth sorted. I was met at the door, having been told in a pre-visit phone call that I might have to wait outside, taken through the health questions again and then sent up to wait for my dentist. It was all very calm and controlled. Yes, I had to pay extra to cover their PPE costs (needed as she had to drill which would lead to aerosol droplets etc.) but I'd been told that. It's difficult times for everyone so we need to be patient with them

CBBL Tue 18-Aug-20 15:52:29

I went to our dentist today and was quite impressed. We were allowed in, although a notice on the door explained that you needed a mask and would be checked for temperature and pulse as well as asked to use hand sanitiser. At Reception, all of the above procedures were carried out. We were advises of their procedures in terms of how the rooms and equipment were used, sanitised and cleaned (an hour between each client, with only two surgeries being open). There was also a timer which was started from the point at which the dentist picked up a drill, or any other equipment which produced spray. If the procedure took or was likely to take more than an hour, the client would need to make two visits, as no one (either patient or dentist) was permitted to work or remain for any more than an hour in an area where spray particles (from the mouth) might be present, before the room would need to be sanitised. The room would therefore not be in use for at least one hour.
When admitted to the treatment room, the patient was required to wash their hands and after doing so, to apply hand sanitiser again, before treatment.
While this might seem like overkill, there was no doubt that ever possible precaution was being taken to safeguard both staff and patients. The Dentist (a private Practice) who is also a long term friend, confirmed that, as a business - they would at best, break even, would not make any profit this year, and were surviving on Loans and savings from previous years. Working at the present level was not sustainable long term, due to the limited number of clients they were able to see in any given day, and all the additional costs of the extra cleaning and equipment. I felt very safe.

Lizzie44 Tue 18-Aug-20 16:40:16

I've just returned from my 5th dental appointment in four weeks. The first appointment marked my first outing since lockdown... I've had X-rays, an extraction and subsequent complications so I'm familiar with current procedures and rules. Wait outside (sun umbrellas provided for hot weather), then hand sanitiser, mask and temperature check on entering. The practice charges £7 per visit to cover PPE costs which I consider reasonable. They are not making a profit on this.
I have nothing but praise for the dentists and nurses who are working in difficult conditions. In the recent heatwave they were wilting with PPE masks and visors - they can't have the fans normally used in hot weather. Dentists in my practice didn't earn any money for about 3 months and for some this means being unable to have a family holiday this year.
I have Denplan insurance and they are charging me an excess of £40 for the extraction, something normally covered by my monthly payment. I consider this excessive.

Musicgirl Tue 18-Aug-20 16:41:03

My check up is due at the beginning of September, postponed from April. I am in the lucky position of having an NHS dentist, who generally does a clean at the end of the check up. My dentist schedules appointments on a basis of need rather than every six months, which was an arbitrary timing set up at the beginning of the NHS when people generally had much worse teeth and dentists were also very drill-happy, so mine is an annual check up. My daughter went the other week and was impressed with how efficient the surgery was. She, too, was happy to be told to return next year.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 18-Aug-20 18:31:01

No problems here. I am going to my 2nd appointment tomorrow, its only to have a crown put back on my implant which is the second time its happened. Phones up this morning and I have an appointment for 5.15 tomorrow. I will have to wait outside, and then when I enter have my temperature taken, clean my hands and put on a mask. , which I don't mind in the least. As for the cost its covered under the guarantee I was given when I had my implant done. Mind you that was very expensive but worth it.

joysutty Tue 18-Aug-20 19:49:07

I had regular emails from my dentist practice during lockdown, and the very last update did say not to arrive too early, only on time and then you will be able to go in straight away as its the reception area with the chairs they are trying to avoid having to many people in at any one time, but then my dentist left the practice during lockdown so I was very disappointed not to be informed of this, as I signed up to still stay with him when he went part time 4 years ago going from a NHS dentist to being on a monthly payment which also gives me the 2 yearly check-ups for free then a discount on any fillings, crowns, or x-rays, etc. Was happy to do this until I just happened to ring up to find out no-one had told me had now left and I was put with another dentist on the same scheme but that my August 6 monthly check-up was cancelled, and it is now end of September. Not overly happy, but certainly no increase in charges which doesnt seem quite right if you are paying monthly on a scheme, even during lockdown for 4 months and getting back nothing in return, but didnt decide to cancel as thought I was supporting the practice of the 4 dentists who are there, plus the 2 receptionists wages which had to be paid during lockdown.

Hellis Tue 18-Aug-20 20:42:07

I just wish I could get to see the dentist. I was due to have root canal treatment on a recurring problem tooth in May. Obviously that was cancelled and I now also have a broken tooth and have lost a large filling, causing me moderate pain. On ringing for an appointment I was told that as I am an NHS patient, they can't see me unless I get swollen face and very severe pain. I am on low income and cannot possibly afford to go private, so will just have to hope for the best. They also wouldn't see my 8 year old granddaughter who has been in pain with a cavity which was due to be filled in April. As hers is a milk tooth we are hoping that with a bit of wiggling, we can get it to fall out. Prior to covid ,we tried to find NHS dentist for my son but there are no other practices within 20 miles taking on patients. I can see why some people have resorted to DIY dentistry!

aonk Tue 18-Aug-20 20:52:52

All your views and experiences are so interesting and make me feel that I shouldn’t complain. In my area all the dentists are open and judging from what my friends and neighbours have said it isn’t that hard to get an appointment. I really sympathise with those who can’t be seen. Dental health is important especially as we get older. I can understand why some people feel reluctant to see the dentist but I would urge them to reconsider. They could be faced with problems and pain further down the line and dentists are taking every possible measure to keep their patients safe.

kjmpde Tue 18-Aug-20 21:27:37

we are still waiting to here when the dentist will open apart from emergencies. but the emergencies are only for pain - not really bad gums which may be cancerous .

Joyfulnanna Tue 18-Aug-20 21:58:04

I phoned the dentist for hygienist appt but they told me there's nothing until next May. I phoned another and got an appt next month but they said they couldn't use the water jet thing because if the risk of aerosol and only hand scale was offered. If they are going in my mouth then surely if Covid is present, it doesn't make any difference.. What do others think?

Odinga Wed 19-Aug-20 14:25:59

Do you really need the hygienist?I used to visit mine every 6 months because the visit was automatically booked after each 6monthly session. I became ill and could not go as regularly and so I became very teeth and gums conscious. When I did return, she spent less that 10mins in my mouth and still charged me full session price! I stopped going, have not been for at least 3 years and my dentist compliments me now on my oral care. Any little job that needs doing in that area he now does it when I visit him.

Joyfulnanna Thu 20-Aug-20 02:30:26

Oh yes I need to go.. Thr scale on my teeth is building up.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Aug-20 06:38:25

The dentist reception phoned and said did we want an appointment? I said we were still feeling a bit nervous about it, she replied “that’s fine, are you having any problems”
“No”
“Then phone as soon as you feel you want a checkup or are having problems and we will fit you in”

Job done?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Aug-20 06:40:45

The hygenist is a different issue, and we will need to go soon I guess ☹️

Willow500 Thu 20-Aug-20 07:37:08

I'm on Denplan and pay £27 a month for quarterly hygienist appointments and 6 monthly check ups - I've had a huge amount of dental work done hence the cost. The last appointment I had was in Feb and I've heard nothing since. Reading all this I'm going to ring today to find out if they are now open again. I doubt the monthly payments will be refunded even though we couldn't have had any treatment if we'd needed it.

travelsafar Thu 20-Aug-20 07:49:08

My visit last month was much the same as everyone else, with the precautions taken. Check up and x rays completed, all thankfully was fine. Only thing missing was being able to get an appointment for a 'jetwash' deep clean which i pay privately for every couple of years. My dentist usually does a descale and polish as part of check up, that was missing too. Have been told they will phone me when they are allowed to do the deep cleans once more.

Shropshirelass Thu 20-Aug-20 08:45:49

We had a check up that was due but we had a telephone consultation with our dentist instead to see whether we had any problems. As we have low scores and very few problems our appointment has been delayed. We will go if we have to and I am sure everything will be quite safe. Difficult for them to carry on seeing a high number of patients under the circumstances.

Madmaggie Fri 21-Aug-20 18:27:23

I lost most of a front tooth & my dentist promptly arranged an appointment. For various reasons & work done by a previous dentist it could not be saved. Estimate given & work done. All explained verbally as well as itbeing online on their site & emails. Strict protocols re C19 adhered to. don't arrive too early, no one else with you, online & verbal health questionnaire completed, sanitiser (provided) tobe used, wear mask in waiting room, provided at door if you dont have one, strict spacing between clients in reception, receptionist behind screen, treatment rooms sanitised between patients, temp taken, special mouthwash, if treatment required certain methods e.g. drill then the dentist & the nurse had to wear very complicated PPE and a one off charge of £30 made to cover (but for whole of treatment), they had specially installed air purifiers which are of operating theatre standard in waiting room plus treatment rooms,all staff had daily temp taken plus weekly tests. Due to only being able to treat reduced numbers they were prioritising cases & reduced opening hours. The hygenist did treat me too but could not use the high speed equipment and had to go back to old fashioned ways. I pay for a monthly plan. At the start of my treatment I was aware of an offical from the dental governing body testing their masks & inspecting their procedures, he was discreet but the dentist was just up front about him (they passed). I felt very safe at all times, As they all have families there was no way they wanted to take risks either.