Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’m worried about symptoms

(69 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Aug-20 00:33:42

I have been feeling as if my battery is drained over the past day or two and am now feeling chill and warm.

I have gone through the NHS site and it advises me to contact my doctor today. That will have to be in the morning.

I have been so careful, but a friend contacted me last week who has been seriously ill with a stroke, thrombosis, Bell’s palsy. You name it she seems to have had it. She asked me to go to eat with her. I couldn’t turn her down! I took mask, hand sanitizer etc and was so careful to use it. I also used the bus but did everything I could to be careful.

I am so hoping that I feel better in the morning, or if not it it something other than covid. But where on earth could I have got it, apart from lunch out?

EllanVannin Wed 26-Aug-20 17:16:59

Buy a can of Mosi Guard to spray clothes when you've been out and about----there's something in it that Covid doesn't like as well as the mozzies, which if they bite you can transfer the virus.

EllanVannin Wed 26-Aug-20 17:33:34

Plymouth---teenagers Covid after a Greek holiday---20 teens.
Norfolk poultry factory---46 cases among workers

Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Aug-20 17:35:43

Test done?. Feel less anxious now - result in a couple of days.

BlueSky Thu 27-Aug-20 00:03:31

I had a test last week. Had an unusual constant clearing my throat plus a tight feeling in the chest, while not feeling 100 %. Booked a drive in test for the same afternoon, just two cars queuing in front, test done in a couple of minutes, results by text following day. Negative of course but at the time it did seem like unusual symptoms. And as Franbern said I do wonder whether shielding has made some people more prone to catch anything that's going around.

Marydoll Thu 27-Aug-20 00:19:53

Unfortunately some us who were/are shielding already have compromised immune systems, so being exposed to what's out there could be fatal. What do you suggest, Franbern and Bluesky?
Should I take a chance, go out and expose myself to whatever bugs are going around and try to improve my immune system?

Liz46 Thu 27-Aug-20 06:33:34

I am on the 'extremely vulnerable' list and didn't leave the house for six weeks. I could feel myself becoming weaker. My husband had been shielding with me and we decided to make our own decisions.
A neighbour, who is a district nurse, recommended a quiet prom next to the river and we drove there and walked.
We have gradually and cautiously gone out more recently but I check 'inyourarea' every day to see the number of new confirmed cases and if that goes up much we will be very careful again.

Marydoll Thu 27-Aug-20 07:42:17

I didn't leave the house for four months apart from walking round my garden, in the field behind my house or around the block early in the morning. I didn't become weaker, I actually felt fitter than previously.

My consultant literally warned me on pain of death, not to venture out, apart from one urgent visit to hospital.
You can still safely get your exercise, while being very careful.
There were occasions I walked up and down my hallway, when it was too wet to go out.

I was at the seaside the other day, but after going into only two shops, I gave up.
The shops had measures in place to try and keep customers safe. However people and they were ALL elderly were just ignoring the rules.
Face masks sitting on chins, pushing me out of the way to rake in rails and blocking exits chatting, were the norm.
You can take all the precautions you like, but if others don't, you haven't a chance! ☹️

Unless anyone has evidence that I can improve my ongoing, compromised immunity, taking into account my comorbidities and treatment, I won't be trying out that theory.

I do have to go out this morning, but I will go first thing, take all precautions and be very careful, as after months of no new cases, we have a spike here. The cause: the schools are back.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 07:46:20

“Improve my immunity”

There is no scientific evidence after the age of about 8 that you can do so by exposing yourself to bugs.

Just old wives tales. Ignore it.

Marydoll Thu 27-Aug-20 07:57:51

I know that, WW, it was a tongue in cheek remark! I am very clued up on my health.

I do hope you get your test results today and are feeling a bit better.?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 08:07:25

Marydoll

I know that, WW, it was a tongue in cheek remark! I am very clued up on my health.

I do hope you get your test results today and are feeling a bit better.?

? thank you hoping to hear today.

BlueSky Thu 27-Aug-20 09:08:48

Marydoll it was just my observation I'm no doctor or scientist. Even for us who didn't shield but were extremely careful just one step below shielding. I guess there's no easy answer for anybody unfortunately.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 09:42:57

All clear?????phew!! It must be just a seasonal thing.

Marydoll Thu 27-Aug-20 09:43:12

I realise that Bluesky, no offense was taken. However, I think the problem is that many don't understand totally the significance and implications of shielding. It's not just about isolating and staying safe. There is a huge difference.
The first letter I got was nine pages long. It was not a pleasant experience I can tell you.

BlueSky Thu 27-Aug-20 09:50:05

I can imagine Marydoll even those who didn't get a letter but being over 70 with perhaps a condition, were told to stay home or else!
Great news Whitewave!

Liz46 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:27:04

I expect you also received several phone calls Marydoll. Some of my early ones were helpful but the dire warning ones became a little wearing and the last one asked about my mental health. I felt like saying 'it would be a lot better if you stopped phoning me!'
I realised a while later when a government survey was released that I had been asked the questions on that but she had not told me she was doing a survey.

FarNorth Thu 27-Aug-20 11:52:44

sunshine
Wonderful news Whitewave!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:53:55

Yo ho yo ho ??

Iam64 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:10:25

Yessss

Nightsky2 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:21:50

WWM2. Was the test very unpleasant?. I am led to believe by my NHS Consultant DiL that it can be extremely unpleasant and unreliable and that it is not that easy to do it properly as the swab had to rub against the tonsils making some people gag. Some people say it’s simple. How did you find it?.

Glad you’ve test was negative, hugh relief I’m sure.

Ilovecheese Thu 27-Aug-20 12:24:12

Oh good, glad you have the all clear.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:27:34

Blimey I’ve experienced a lot worse than that! If that’s all you ever have to deal with then you will have had a good life!!

I think some people make a fuss tbh.

Ramblingrose22 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:31:09

WhitewaveM2 - so glad to hear you are OK.

Totally understand why you were worried.

We have to be grateful that it is so much easier to get a test these days and that the results come through quickly.

Nightsky2 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:40:13

WWM2. There is the potential for the test to come back negative when it is a positive because it isn’t always carried out properly. Maybe it’s because some people make a fuss when having it done!.
When you’ve had brain surgery you don’t worry about the little things like flu jabs etc.,but I hope I don’t ever need to have the COVID test.

dontmindstayinghome Thu 27-Aug-20 12:41:05

My Mum, OH and myself went for a covid test last week as my Mum said she had lost her sense of taste.

Very simple process, just fill in the questionnaire online and you will be given an appointment at your nearest testing centre.

I competed the form at 1.30pm and we were at the test centre two hours later.

We were handed a pack on entry and directed to a parking space. We had to use a cotton bud to swab our tonsils then inside our nose, then put the cotton bud into a small vial containing liquid. This was then put in a self-seal plastic bag which was then put into another plastic bag with a barcode on it.
We then drove to a second 'stopping point' where the barcode was scanned through the closed window, we then drove forward and placed our bags in a collection bin.

We got our results at 10am the next day - all negative!

BlueSky Thu 27-Aug-20 13:11:55

I found it slightly unpleasant but it's over quickly, glad I had it done by health care workers as I don't think I would have done it properly at home.