Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Mask washing

(85 Posts)
winterwhite Tue 01-Sep-20 12:06:30

Who's have thought we'd be reduced to worrying about washing face masks?
But what's this I read about the 'correct' procedure: reusable face masks should be washed after every use at 60 degrees?! Has everyone but me doing this all along? I thought those little filters would obviate the need for that and even disposable masks are, or used to be until no doubt the mask police came along, marketed for use 4-5 times. There'll be mask shortages soon as cotton masks shrink at daily washes at 60 degrees.

Hetty58 Thu 15-Oct-20 05:28:54

PinkCakes:

'fewer cases now'

What? Where? I'm in London and things are getting bad. Maybe you live on a sparsely populated little island?

janipat Thu 15-Oct-20 13:27:41

Hetty58 PinkCakes made that post on 1st September when 1295 new cases were reported for the day, a lot less than the 19724 reported yesterday. Always best to check the dates and facts of posts before being dismissive of people.

Tweedle24 Thu 15-Oct-20 13:47:54

I wear home-made cotton masks. They go in the washing machine at 30C or 40C along with everything else I have been wearing. After all, my clothes are as likely to be contaminated as my masks so, why treat them differently? I am very careful to use a clean mask if I take one off between shops.

Summerlove Thu 15-Oct-20 19:19:04

Mine get washed after one use
Usually once a week

Please don’t wash and reuse disposable ones. That’s not what they are meant fot

TruthSeeker48 Tue 10-Nov-20 08:06:18

www.sott.net/article/442455-German-Neurologist-Warns-Against-Wearing-Facemasks-Oxygen-Deprivation-Causes-Permanent-Neurological-Damage

Grannynannywanny Tue 10-Nov-20 08:27:19

The conspiracy theorists are up early this morning. Hospital staff can wear masks constantly throughout a 12 hour shift every working day. But the rest of us can’t wear one to pop into Tesco without risking brain damage. Who would have thought it ?

henetha Tue 10-Nov-20 09:51:48

I've got about ten pretty cotton double-thickness masks.
After one wear I put them to soak in ZoFlora diluted with hot water for about an hour. Then rinse them thoroughly and dry them.

growstuff Tue 10-Nov-20 09:57:22

Masks don't cause oxygen deprivation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5npQivAmcE

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 10:01:34

I wondered if this was going to be one one of those competitive cleaning threads..... you know the “I leave the post outside for a week, disinfect the entire house twice daily, boil wash OH every Saturday.......”

MissAdventure Tue 10-Nov-20 10:03:04

smile

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 10:29:08

Lucca

I wondered if this was going to be one one of those competitive cleaning threads..... you know the “I leave the post outside for a week, disinfect the entire house twice daily, boil wash OH every Saturday.......”

Wash at 300° and never, ever, put them in with the tea towels.

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 10:32:03

But first scrub the floors wearing full hand knitted PPE

Franbern Tue 10-Nov-20 10:58:25

Lucca

grin And.....don't forget to bleach everything in sight!!!!

growstuff Tue 10-Nov-20 11:50:34

Franbern

Lucca

grin And.....don't forget to bleach everything in sight!!!!

But please don't drink it!

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 11:52:14

Just off to steam clean my house!
I could be gone some time .....

Franbern Tue 10-Nov-20 12:08:14

Callistemon

Just off to steam clean my house!
I could be gone some time .....

Hope you have full PPE!!!

cupaffull Tue 10-Nov-20 12:29:11

Would really appreciate any recommended designs for homemade facemasks that don't cause my specs to steam up each time I put them on.
OH and I both struggling.... Many thanks

Puzzler61 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:47:40

Have you tried a mask with soft wire over the nose to pinch gently and get a close fit on your face? I find my breath doesn’t escape up to my specs.
Sorry, mine have been bought online but I’m sure others will be along with pattern suggestions soon.

Daddima Tue 10-Nov-20 13:50:11

I wonder if microwaves would kill the virus? I’ve never seen it recommended.

petra Tue 10-Nov-20 13:52:12

Callistemon
You mean to tell me you've only just thought about steam cleaning your house ?

petra Tue 10-Nov-20 13:53:33

Daddima
Have you thought that through?

Daddima Tue 10-Nov-20 14:10:47

petra

Daddima
Have you thought that through?

Okay, I’ll prepare to look an eejit!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 10-Nov-20 14:26:04

cupafful, I haven't tried it, but I read advice somewhere about making a small roll of foil and putting it inside the mask so that you can fit it over your nose. It then should fit more tightly and not let your glasses steam up so easily. I find that if I put my glasses on firmly over the top of my mask that helps, but some days, when it's cold or damp outside, you are probably going to steam up whatever you do!

Callistemon, I have found that the steam from my Christmas sprouts, which have, of course, been boiling away for several months now, is keeping my kitchen permanently steam-cleaned, so that saves a bit of time.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:37:19

I wash our cloth masks either at 60 or 90 degrees.

If I am in a rush, I scald them in two separate lots of boiling water.

Why? Because the masks become damp and unpleasant when you wear them, and germs breed in damp conditions.

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 14:37:32

I’m exhausted from injecting the turkey with disinfectant ready for Christmas which is only 45 days away.