Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Mask washing

(85 Posts)
winterwhite Tue 01-Sep-20 12:06:30

Who's have thought we'd be reduced to worrying about washing face masks?
But what's this I read about the 'correct' procedure: reusable face masks should be washed after every use at 60 degrees?! Has everyone but me doing this all along? I thought those little filters would obviate the need for that and even disposable masks are, or used to be until no doubt the mask police came along, marketed for use 4-5 times. There'll be mask shortages soon as cotton masks shrink at daily washes at 60 degrees.

Lucca Tue 01-Sep-20 16:08:09

As usual,I feel very inadequate. I Wash mine quite often but not religiously after each wear. I just do them by hand in v hot water, but then I don’t isolate my post etc either.

rockgran Tue 01-Sep-20 16:26:01

Ironing helps. I wash my cotton (home made double layer) mask every time and then make sure to iron it as this helps to sterilise. No problem - in fact it fits better when newly washed.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Sep-20 17:43:04

Non medical grade masks are mainly to protect those around us but it is now believed that they do protect the wearer also albeit not to the same extent. The more layers the masks have the more protection to the wearer.

Marmight Tue 01-Sep-20 18:02:16

I too chuck it in a bowl and cover with boiling water and a dash of Bold. When dry, stick it in a self seal plastic bag and put in my bag ready for the next time. I have 3 or 4 on the go and keep disposables in the car in case of emergency. The elastic pinged on one outside Tesco yesterday so I just used one of the disposables (although they are very uncomfortable & keep riding up over my eyes ?)

vegansrock Tue 01-Sep-20 18:24:48

I make Liberty tana lawn face masks which are super fine. I wash all fabric before making and steam iron. If they are a pleated style they do need ironing to retain a crisp look. Shoving them in with usual wash and then a good steam iron is fine. Ironing takes all of half a minute for those with an iron phobia.

BlueSky Tue 01-Sep-20 18:28:06

I hand wash mine in hand hot tap water, disposable or reusable, with antibacterial handwash, every time I use them.

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Sep-20 18:46:06

Please save your anti-bacterial handwash or anything. Hot soapy water will kill a virus.

A bacteria is a single-celled living organism whereas a virus is not live and requires a host cell to survive long term.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Sep-20 18:53:02

If anyone can do a link (I can’t on this computer) DrJohn Campbell’s latest blogpost says that although a mask won’t necessarily stop you from catching the virus the viral load will be so low that if you do catch it you will most likely be asymptomatic or will have it very mild. Which also means that, with more people wearing masks there are likely to be a lot of asymptomatic people around.

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Sep-20 19:11:28

Certainly in London many people are refusing to wear masks on public transport and in shops. Many still have the attitude it will not happen to them. I have no desire to chance it.

rockgran Tue 01-Sep-20 19:21:27

This is the John Campbell link about wearing a mask to protect yourself as well as others.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANEqOPcDwc

PinkCakes Tue 01-Sep-20 21:10:38

I don't go to the shops unless absolutely necessary. I wear fabric ones (I've got 4) and wear each one once - so no more than about 30 minutes. I wash them on 30 degrees. I think we need to get things into perspective - the risk of catching Covid-19 is not as bad as it was (fewer cases now), and with a mask or face covering of some sort, the risk is reduced even further.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Sep-20 23:27:33

Thanks rockgran. As ever with Dr John I found it very interesting and empowering.

janipat Wed 02-Sep-20 16:31:21

Just a thought..........those that wash masks at high temperatures, up to boiling point, do you wash your hands at these same temperatures? If a soap and water wash at normal temperatures is sufficient to kill the virus on your hands why wouldn't it work on masks? And do you wash all your other clothing at the same very hot temperatures? Mine get bunged in with whatever wash is coming next, mostly 30 - 40 degrees.

ginny Wed 02-Sep-20 16:36:45

I made double thicknesses cotton masks.
One wear and then into the washing machine with other washing. 40 degree wash. I iron them too.
Agree with janipat as to hand washing and temperatures.

shysal Wed 02-Sep-20 17:47:26

My masks are triple thickness. I live in England but I believe that is the recommendation in Wales so there must be a reason. I also sometimes add a filter. I keep them over my nose and don't fiddle! smile

TwiceAsNice Wed 02-Sep-20 18:15:17

Wash mine at 60 degrees and let them dry in the airing cupboard . Tend to put them in with towels or sheets which I also wash at 60 degrees . They are put in the dirty laundry basket until I do a load. I have several so always have spare.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 02-Sep-20 18:57:09

I'm another one who washes them with the next wash, so anything from 30º to 60º. If it's not a washing day I do them by hand with soap (or even take them into the shower with me grin).

Franbern Thu 03-Sep-20 16:21:54

I have one mask made so that there is a see-thru area over my lips - people can seem me smile at them, or they can lipread what I am saying. Apart from that I use the disposable ones. I wash them all in soap and water by hand, hang in shower to drip to nearly dry and then put them where the sunshine can finish off their drying. I have a special flat plastic box to in which I can keep two or three masks cleanly and easily in my handbag.
It does amuse me as to how many people just take off their masks and cram them into bag or pocket until they use it next time doesn't appear very hygienic to me.
Do wonder with the children in secondary schools needing to put on masks when they go into corridors, etc, then take them off again, until next time. usually just put in a pocket in between. Am wondering if this sort of action is more likely to make them unwell with something or the other than any sort of protection to anyone.
But, never mind!! masks seem to have become the magic potion with regard to this Covid virus - those who wear them them (no matter what condition they are in) are good, and those that do not are bad.

Omits01 Wed 14-Oct-20 16:24:06

Don't usually bother washing them as I pour boiling water over them. That kills the buggers! I also take a handkerchief with me done the same way and wipe my eyes after going into shops and get back to the car.

Omits01 Wed 14-Oct-20 16:26:43

Masks are a preventative measure. Other hygienic methods are needed to complete personal safety and most people have no clue as to what these are.

JenniferEccles Wed 14-Oct-20 16:47:23

I also have accidentally washed a couple of disposable masks and they survived! I’m sure it’s not recommended but it would probably be ok to do once or twice.

MamaCaz Wed 14-Oct-20 16:56:03

I like to thing that if soap is bad for the virus, detergent is the same and will do the job at 40°.
The minimum wash time in my machine is 30 minutes - that's 29 minutes and 40 seconds longer than we are advised to wash our hands, and I don't know about anyone else, but we don't wash our hands at 60°, so I think it will do.

MamaCaz Wed 14-Oct-20 16:57:52

Oops - spot the glaring error in my post above!

lemsip Wed 14-Oct-20 17:18:04

rockgran, thanks for the the youtube link for Dr John Campbell. now watching it and very interesting!

Curlygirl Thu 15-Oct-20 01:15:51

The masks we’ve got come with washing instructions that say wash in cold water. Apparently it’s the soap suds that break down the fatty coating on the virus rather than the temperature of the water. The water can then wash the virus away.Going by this rather than wiping door handles etc with antibacterial wipes or using sprays we should just be washing them with soapy water. Much cheaper and better for the environment.