Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

World-beating test and trace system!

(88 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 15-Sep-20 15:55:50

My DD has just had to do a 100 mile round trip to have a test as she has a high temperature - the children have had colds since returning to school so we hope that this is all it is. It is perfectly ridiculous. The test centre in our nearest town has been closed down.

And her OH has to stay off work on no pay until the result comes back.

Neither is a great incentive to play by the rules.

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:07:10

Article in the times

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:08:30

Sorry first bits missing

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:08:56

Middle bit

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 08:09:13

Sorry not tech savvy this morning

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 08:09:26

Well that says it all Lucca

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 08:10:38

Are there any statistics to show what % of tests actually produce a positive result? We continually hear people saying they tested negative but very few the other way round. Of course no one wants to take a chance, but how to stop every cough and sniffle being a reason to get a test? Is there no way there could be some kind of triage system by medics? The public isn't being very bright about mingling and social distancing, so it stands to reason it might not be very bright about recognising the symptoms.

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 08:27:21

About 70% accuracy according to University College London,

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 08:28:12

Sorry that should be Oxford University Hospitals

Gilmul Fri 18-Sep-20 11:00:11

Here in the NE which has new restrictions/ curfews on restaurants etc., has testing centres that you can easily book same day appointment literally a few miles down the road. I would have assumed from our councils putting forward the need for these special measures that they would be thousands queuing at the centres/online etc yet this doesn’t seem to be the case at all ??? I know they’re doing their best for us all and WE WILL comply but I literally know no one ( and my friends know of no one either) who is sick at this present time. We were traced a few weeks back , had a test within an hour (negative), five miles away, as were all the others who were traced quickly.

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 11:15:54

There have been some very odd decisions made in the North East, I think, Gilmul.

Why has Northumberland been included when it has a really low rate of infection? Why County Durham and not Teeside? Perhaps the fact that large swathes of the NE with relatively low rates have been included might account for the fact that there aren't 'thousands' queueing for tests?

I, too, know of very few people who have had covid and that was early on.

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 11:18:25

Whitewavemark2

Can anyone explain to me how a curfew of 10pm on pubs etc is going to stop the spread?

I think you can only get wasted after 10 o'clock at night, Wwmk" grin

Luckygirl Fri 18-Sep-20 11:47:25

I don't get the curfew either - a lot of bugs can be exchanged during the rest of the day. Unless they think that people who have been drinking all evening are less likely to get the social distancing rule.

But I do accept that there will be anomalies in the system - only full lockdown is the certain way, but we all want to avoid that.

My fury at this government for its incompetence in allowing the virus free rein at the beginning is unabated. All they can do now is cobble something together - but they are hampered by their need to make sure their mates get the plum contracts.