Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

NHS Covid 19 Track & Trace app now available

(210 Posts)
Willow500 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:26:19

I've just downloaded it. Let's hope enough people do the same to try and get the virus back under control.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Sep-20 10:50:32

5SE not S

suziewoozie Thu 24-Sep-20 10:50:36

Alegrias I don’t have the technical language but my understanding is that this is all aboutBluetooth which is both hardware and software and the former is built into the phone and can’t be upgraded if the phone doesn’t have it already.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 24-Sep-20 10:51:01

Well I reckon it will be a good percentage of the population that can't down the app. Just doing a quick think around the people I know at least half won't be able to do it as the phone is to old. Still if it works for some it will help.

nipsmum Thu 24-Sep-20 10:55:12

I don't have a mobile phone. I can't see the things on them with my deteriorating eyesight. I have a perfectly good landline if anyone needs me.

Alegrias Thu 24-Sep-20 10:56:09

suziewoozie

Alegrias I don’t have the technical language but my understanding is that this is all aboutBluetooth which is both hardware and software and the former is built into the phone and can’t be upgraded if the phone doesn’t have it already.

That's how I see it too suziewoozie

Here's the technical language from the government website smile

To install and use the NHS COVID-19 app, your phone will need Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 4 or above (that's the hardware bit) and Operating System software Android Marshmallow, or iOS 13.5 or above (this is the software bit). This is because the app needs the Exposure Notification framework developed by Apple and Google, which is only available in these versions.

spabbygirl Thu 24-Sep-20 11:20:10

thanks notnecessarilywiser, I have it now

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sep-20 11:23:51

Have the app.......my area is medium risk

Conni7 Thu 24-Sep-20 11:26:53

Will it download to my iPad?

suziewoozie Thu 24-Sep-20 11:33:13

Conni no it won’t. I actually think this is another communication failure from the Gov. When MH was doing his studio tour this morning he should have upfronted the issue and explained simply why it does not work on older phones. Instead it was dragged out of him and some people are irritated because it was another example of overpromising and underdelivering. I can imagine some people feeling they don’t matter as the app is in fact unavailable to them.

Purpledaffodil Thu 24-Sep-20 11:41:27

Downloaded without problems on iPhone 11.
Even churches have to have QR code Poster now!
I’m in a medium risk area too it tells me. Despite being on Govt watch list! Hmmm?

craftyone Thu 24-Sep-20 11:47:12

Thanks to aligrias, I at last found the correct app

NHS COVID-19 app and that is what I put into my google play search box. The rest was easy

I am a phone dinosaur, never take it anywhere and really only use it for calls. If I can do it!!

suziewoozie Thu 24-Sep-20 11:47:14

Putple there are no problems with downloading it if your phone is not too old. Apps imo are a great thing it’s just that this one is 4 months late because of Cummings and isn’t available to everyone. The latter point was not communicated clearly to people ( plus ça change)

toscalily Thu 24-Sep-20 12:07:12

Downloaded to iPhone SE, important I think as we are in a high risk area. If your phone is compatible I see no reason not to.

craftyone Thu 24-Sep-20 12:25:01

I am medium risk, although my local area is probably very low. Expanding medium, it says that I am adjacent to areas with a rising risk and need to take precautions

Son in scotland (IT) says it is a very good app, does not ask for personal details or location. He has downloaded the scottish one. No-one needs to fear any personal tracking details by big brother

Its the least we can do, we are at war and on the verge of an out of control pandemic. Pulling together we can stop this

Joesoap Thu 24-Sep-20 12:51:33

Frustrated tried to download but need a newer version of I Phone so Thats nit an option I think many people will be in the same position so its not going to work so well, if half the population havent got the right phone at least I tried!

JennyCee Thu 24-Sep-20 12:56:31

It’s all very well! I have an aged IPhone 6 and it’s isnt new enough to access this. I am not a wealthy pensioner and cannot afford a new, VERY expensive IPhone.
Well done NHS catering to the wealthy!

Lexisgranny Thu 24-Sep-20 13:05:19

I have downloaded the app successfully after checking that my software is up to date and that Bluetooth is on. Was relieved to see that we are still a low risk area. My phone is a Huawie P30 lite.

PamelaJ1 Thu 24-Sep-20 13:05:20

Loaded on my Iphone 6SE.
We are in a medium area. Quite a surprise as I thought that we are low. I’ll blame Balham Poultry for that even though they are a long way from us.

Now all I have to do is remember the phone??‍♀️ When I go out. For those of you that don’t have a modern phone. At least you are still allowed out. In Qatar, no working phone = no going out!

nipsmum Thu 24-Sep-20 13:14:06

Surely t,here is no point on downloading to an iPod unless you have it with you at all times.????please correct me if I'm wrong.

Luckygirl Thu 24-Sep-20 13:20:34

Even if only say a fifth of the population are able/willing to download the app, that's a lot of people and will contribute to controlling the virus. Even small steps forward are worth doing.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 24-Sep-20 13:24:39

I've an iphone 6S and iOS 14. It downloaded OK and I put in first part of my postcode.

I live in Cornwall and have understood that it is a low risk area so was shocked to see that my postcode is in a MEDIUM risk area. I tried putting in a variety of postcodes from around the country (even Lands End) and all were medium risk. I wonder where the low risk areas are.

craftyone Thu 24-Sep-20 13:27:05

so I should take the phone with me when I go out. That will be a first for me but I will do it

Teacheranne Thu 24-Sep-20 13:31:31

Ive been contemplating upgrading my iPhone 5 for ages but as I prefer SIM only, the initial cost is rather off putting as I also need to upgrade my iPad. I was looking at reconditioned models but think I might need to bite the bullet and buy a newish model so it will accept new software upgrade for a few years.

I was hoping one of my children would give me a cast off as they seem to get the latest ones but they both now have work phones.

Froglady Thu 24-Sep-20 13:32:42

This is a stupid question, but do you need a Smart phone to be able to download the app? You can see how not computer savvy I am!

Daisymae Thu 24-Sep-20 13:39:09

The app says that our area is medium too, which I found very surprising. However the medium risk covers rising rates and the rates here have been low so obviously in the up now. I met a friend the other day, outside of course, but I have to say that social distancing was almost non existent.