Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

no vaccine for under 50s says vaccine head in UK

(84 Posts)
rootingpowder Mon 05-Oct-20 11:53:04

Does this mean that no under 50 years carer in a non institutional setting will get the vaccine? As a vaccine is only likely to reduce the risk by 60/75% an unvaccinated under fifty carer may well repeatedly expose their charge to covid. Has the governments advice on this changed. I was under the impression, all carers in whatever setting would be vaccinated. Now they are saying only in formal places and over 50. What do people think?

Franbern Sat 10-Oct-20 15:05:54

Some interesting figures just been published by Office of National Statistics (ONS) -
Average age of those dying from corona 19 in England and Wales since start of Pandemic is 82.4yrs old. This is slightly higher than the median death over the same period from deaths from other causes which is 81.5 yrs.
So, are we trashing our childrens' and g.children's future lifes for decades to come with all these lockdowns, etc for the sake of the very elderly.
Not saying we should not protect those (I am, after all, one of them), but not by sacrificing younger peoples futures.

Illte Sat 10-Oct-20 15:22:42

Well we wouldn't be trashing their future nearly as much if only the old and vulnerable would stay at home as much as possible and minimise their risk.

The vast majority of Covid patients taking up medical beds, and resources are the over 65s. If we could stay out of trouble then medical resources could be focused on the minority of younger people who become very ill.

If we would give up "normal life" for a few months we could see something like a return to normal life for the majority of the population and the economy.

At the moment protecting us oldies who won't protect ourselves is what's the main driver of lockdowns.

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 15:32:37

The average age of someone being treated in critical care is about 57 and two-thirds of coronavirus patients in intensive care are men

4 days ago, BBC Wales.

Esspee Sat 10-Oct-20 15:33:54

As coronaviruses have been with us since the 1960s - that’s sixty years - and no vaccine has been developed for any of them, I don’t see the point of getting worked up about who will be offered a non existent vaccine.

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 16:17:38

I think they were identified in the 1960s but have been around for thousands, if not millions, of years.
There are vaccines for animal Corona viruses but none so far for those which infect humans.

Ellianne Sat 10-Oct-20 16:37:27

So what happens if you're one of those (older) people who doesn't want to have the vaccine anyway?

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 17:12:41

We have a choice, as we do with any vaccine.

maddyone Sat 10-Oct-20 17:21:15

If a vaccine is developed then I shall be taking up the offer of having it. I will have it to protect myself, to protect my elderly mother, to protect my family, and to protect everyone else in society.