Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Flying and CV19

(28 Posts)
grandMattie Tue 06-Oct-20 10:07:08

My teacher son needs to go back to his college in India. He has been advised to have a CV19 test before flying. Have any of you required one by BA before flying?

If he needs a test, NHS won’t do it as he isn’t displaying symptoms, which is fair enough, but he can’t find any private testing places for it to be done in person; the test need to be no more than 96 hours before his flight. The other bummer is that he’s been quoted £120-£160 by the pharmacist who can’t do it!

Calendargirl Tue 06-Oct-20 10:15:36

On our local Facebook page, someone was going on holiday to Cyprus, and needed a test 72 hours before. He/she was enquiring where to get one, obviously had to pay.

Not aware how it turned out.

Esspee Tue 06-Oct-20 10:35:24

It won't be BA which requires the neg. test. There are many countries which won't let you in without one.

Esspee Tue 06-Oct-20 10:46:42

I've just googled it and £150 is about the price. I am sure your son has googled it himself and has everything under control.

Callistemon Tue 06-Oct-20 11:29:54

Esspee

It won't be BA which requires the neg. test. There are many countries which won't let you in without one.

Is the flight stopping in Dubai?
Have any of you required one by BA before flying?
Someone we know had to have a certificate to say he was COVID19 free before he was allowed to travel (Qantas I think) because of transit in Dubai airport.
He was allowed to travel with another airline(stopping elsewhere) by proving he was Covid free in a text from a local hospital, and presumably he had to pay. I haven't seen him yet as he's quarantining.

grandMattie Tue 06-Oct-20 11:37:11

As far as I know, it’ll be a direct flight from Heathrow to Mumbai. No transit.

Callistemon Tue 06-Oct-20 13:00:37

I thought flights were suspended between Heathrow and Mumbai, at least for the time being?

Davidhs Tue 06-Oct-20 13:21:56

Many countries have no tourists but those travelling for work or compassionate reasons can travel, some do require a test and isolation. Passengers on flights are very few, planes have holds full of freight

PECS Tue 06-Oct-20 13:24:26

A friend recently paid £160 for a test prior to a flight to Cyprus.

GagaJo Tue 06-Oct-20 14:49:42

Most private hospitals will offer tests. Try the Nuffield, BMI, HCA, Ramsay Health.

The cost will be around 200gbp.

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Oct-20 16:31:05

A lab near us does the test by mail for £55. It is a company recognised by the courts. I can find out more details if you are interested.

welbeck Tue 06-Oct-20 17:24:59

a friend of mine works in a small hotel, budget priced, in seven dials, covent garden. they have v few guests at the moment. she said one of her regulars was staying, to go have a test in Harley street, and it was £450.
i said that sounded a lot. but she said he needed it, for quick result, and to fly out to Thailand.

Hetty58 Tue 06-Oct-20 17:31:59

grandMattie, maybe it's time he developed a 'symptom' or two? I'm sure there are plenty of people having tests for very trivial reasons - and he does need one.

GagaJo Tue 06-Oct-20 21:38:48

Free tests don't give the certificate you need for overs as travel unfortunately.

Danma Wed 07-Oct-20 09:46:14

I went to Cyprus last month. Paid about £170 for the test and then another £170 to have the sample couriered to the testing lab as I didn’t trust Royal Mail to get it there in the time window needed
Negative test result had to be within 72 hours of travel

Nananj Wed 07-Oct-20 09:48:47

We traveled to Cyprus , had a test done at conception clinic Watford £199 pounds each results back within 48 hours

Danma Wed 07-Oct-20 09:49:08

Hetty58

grandMattie, maybe it's time he developed a 'symptom' or two? I'm sure there are plenty of people having tests for very trivial reasons - and he does need one.

And then people wonder why the system can’t cope with genuine requests ?

Taptan Wed 07-Oct-20 09:58:03

I went to Cyprus in August, yes I had to have a Private Test (within 72 hours of departing the UK) it cost me £90 - worth every penny to see my grandchildren. Cyprus also requires a Fit to Fly Certificate, done within 24 hours of departure, without negative test results, you cannot get a Fit to Fly. Cyprus have (rightly in my opinion) been very strict from day one.

GrandmaKT Wed 07-Oct-20 10:06:31

Yes, my DIL's father, who is Indian and had to make a business trip recently had to have this test 72 hours before he flew. As others have said it is a blood test, not the normal Covid test and you need the certificate to enter India.

Susieq62 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:01:10

My SIL plus family are flying to Cyprus this month for a week’s holiday. So do they require a certificate to fly or is this the responsibility of the travel company with whom they have booked?

GagaJo Wed 07-Oct-20 11:05:34

Susieq62

My SIL plus family are flying to Cyprus this month for a week’s holiday. So do they require a certificate to fly or is this the responsibility of the travel company with whom they have booked?

It is always the passengers responsibility.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:08:59

On sunday I had just had a kit sent to me by the NHS - I was told to have a test by my GP - I found it easiest to get a home kit. A lot of questions are asked on the on line form, depends what your answers are? Happily I got the news this morning that I tested negative!

Susieq62 Wed 07-Oct-20 11:20:42

Yes just found out they have to pay for the test which adds to cost and stress! I suggested they go to Devon instead??

jenpax Wed 07-Oct-20 11:40:44

Goodness some of these testing companies are turning a pretty profit! £450!!

icanhandthemback Wed 07-Oct-20 12:29:55

We paid £140 for this test for my son: www.letsgetchecked.com/gb/en/
The results came back within 72 hours. Order the testing kit earlier, take the test 96 hours beforehand, post it back (you can use next day delivery before 1pm) and it will be back with you within 72 hours. Although we thought it was expensive, we are so glad we paid it because my son wasn't showing symptoms at the time but he was infectious. By the time he got symptoms, he would have been beyond the NHS testing guidelines.