Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Queen channelling Trump?

(66 Posts)
ReadyMeals Thu 15-Oct-20 19:45:33

President Trump and his staff had been relying on daily testing to keep them safe without masks. It didn't work - Trump and several of his staff caught the virus. So based on this knowledge, the Queen and her entourage decided to do their first royal visit after isolation maskless, having all been tested. I guess she thinks she'll be luckier. Or was this "advice" from Boris wanting to reaffirm "our" support for the Trump administration? The Queen has accepted a couple of rather questionable bits of advice lately, and it reinforces my feeling that it's time for someone a little stronger minded to take over.

BlueBelle Fri 16-Oct-20 08:30:25

Yes, and so had Trump's entourage - every day. Yet only a couple of weeks ago, the whole world learned this was not sufficient assurance

readymeals all the more reason to believe be never had it ??

Lucca Fri 16-Oct-20 08:30:38

25Avalon

Is it possible that she has a health reason for not wearing a mask? At her age she may find it difficult to breath whilst wearing one and talking is not easy. No reason, however, why the rest didn’t wear them.

I’m sure she could manage a mask for a short time, and I think we’d know if she had a reason not to......

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 08:40:40

Just what the country needs now, an abdication and a coronation

suziewoozie Fri 16-Oct-20 08:44:41

No one is saying that ab no one - some of us are saying it shouldn’t have got to this point. And that she should have worn a mask.

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 08:47:47

What else does ‘she should retire and hand over to Charles’
mean Suziewoozie ?

Grany Fri 16-Oct-20 08:48:36

Of course she should have worn a mask if she is able same should all the others we are in a second lockdown in many places. I suppose it was an outing to keep her family firm going.

The RF don't bring in tourists don't work hard and the Queen as Head of State cannot intervene whatever Johnson and government criminally do. So what is the point of RF? Time we had an Elected Head of State working in the interests of the British people.

Parsley3 Fri 16-Oct-20 08:52:22

HM doesn't wear a riding hat which is compulsory for everyone else so not wearing a mask is another privilege that she can claim. I am surprised that there us support for this. We need to get grip.

Lucca Fri 16-Oct-20 08:54:40

Anniebach

Just what the country needs now, an abdication and a coronation

Of course not. But you do agree about the mask as an example to the nation ?

Framilode Fri 16-Oct-20 08:57:55

If she doesn't want to abdicate she could retire and make Charles Prince Regent. Until she dies he would have the power of the monarch without the title. That way she could keep to the vow she made.

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 08:58:14

Yes I agree if she doesn’t have a health problem.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 09:02:21

I was surprised to see her out and about at all, and also felt she could have worn a mask, at least indoors. I expect her advisors had their reasons, but why then do Camilla and the younger females comply?

Parsley3 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:03:56

The RF have missed a golden opportunity to set an example to the nation. William will know that.

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 09:09:21

On the news yesterday a woman age 91 was interviewed, she
was in a hall with many other people, they were doing ‘keep
fit’ line dancing with an instructor, not one wore a mask but
observed the distancing rule.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 09:12:38

Not wearing a mask while exercising/dancing etc. is fair enough, in fact probably ill advised. My DD doesn't.

ReadyMeals Fri 16-Oct-20 09:20:49

I think we could all have understood if the Queen herself had not worn a mask (on the grounds of age or needing to have her face seen or whatever), provided that everyone else had worn them. To me the fact no one at the event wore one, not even staff, was the most shocking.

Calendargirl Fri 16-Oct-20 09:37:33

Parsley3

HM doesn't wear a riding hat which is compulsory for everyone else so not wearing a mask is another privilege that she can claim. I am surprised that there us support for this. We need to get grip.

It’s not compulsory for adults to wear riding helmets on public highways, children under 14 have to. Obviously makes sense to do so.
I don’t imagine the Queen goes out riding on a public road.

Parsley3 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:49:03

I stand corrected, thank you. Another missed opportunity for ER to set a good example. Health and safety required my DD to wear her hat when she was mucking out.

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 10:09:42

What were the other missed opportunities?

suziewoozie Fri 16-Oct-20 10:17:49

Both her and PP have been photographed not wearing seat belts - and it’s about setting an example regardless of whether it’s the actual law eg public/private road. It’s not asking much is it, to show us respect for health and safety ?

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 10:23:35

And we all follow her ? If she had worn a mask yesterday
everyone would be wearing a mask today .

How come everyone doesn’t attend church every Sunday

Oopsminty Fri 16-Oct-20 10:27:22

They are advised not to wear seat belts in case they need to leap out if a Princess Anne moment arises or something similar.

As for the masks it didn't cross my mind that they weren't wearing masks.

I have no idea why we appear to be wanting to be shown how to behave by the Queen and MPs etc etc

It's all rather odd

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 10:36:37

Agree Oopsminty

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 10:38:49

Of course at this particular time the country doesn’t need an abdication and it certainly doesn’t need a Coronation. However after the queen’s father died, her coronation was about a year later, so no problem there. An abdication at this time though would be very unsettling for the country, but as Framilode suggested, the Queen could retire and Prince Charles could be made Prince Regent. I really think she should, and I’m afraid that I regard her as stubbornly sticking to her role when she should, in my opinion, give up the small amount of power she does have, and let Charles get on with it. If the Queen lives as long as her mother, we have another 7/8 years of this, and by then Charles will be in his eighties. The Queen’s retirement would avoid this, and allow her to live with her husband, as she has been doing since lockdown anyway, and Charles would get on with the job he has been prepared for all his life. However it’s obvious that the Queen has no intention of doing this, which personally I regard as stubborn and selfish. As is not wearing a mask, with the consequence that William couldn’t wear wear one either, as royal protocol dictates that that the family follow the example of the Queen. (Interestingly, without wishing at all to make this thread about Meghan, that was one of the points about Meghan, that she refused to follow royal protocol, so for example, she refused on occasion to wear a hat when the Queen was wearing one, and the queen prefers all royal ladies to wear tights/stockings, and Meghan frequently didn’t.) I think some of these protocols will disappear with Charles as King.

Whatever, the last thing the country needs is either the Queen or Philip to die at this time. This would create huge problems as normally they would have a state funeral.

25Avalon Fri 16-Oct-20 13:28:18

God help us if the queen abdicates and Charles becomes king. Maybe her maj realises this. Why should she abdicate anyway? I thought we were against ageism on Gransnet!

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 14:03:02

The last Prince Regent was so because his father the King had
a mental illness, is age alone a reason to hand over ?