Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Queen channelling Trump?

(66 Posts)
ReadyMeals Thu 15-Oct-20 19:45:33

President Trump and his staff had been relying on daily testing to keep them safe without masks. It didn't work - Trump and several of his staff caught the virus. So based on this knowledge, the Queen and her entourage decided to do their first royal visit after isolation maskless, having all been tested. I guess she thinks she'll be luckier. Or was this "advice" from Boris wanting to reaffirm "our" support for the Trump administration? The Queen has accepted a couple of rather questionable bits of advice lately, and it reinforces my feeling that it's time for someone a little stronger minded to take over.

Tweedle24 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:17:50

A bit off subject, Suziewoozie but I have to defend the queen’s decision not to abdicate. She is a very devout Christian and made that promise before God. She would not leave her job just to suit people who think she is too old. I am sure that there are times when she would like nothing better than hand the reins to Charles and take a well-earned rest but, that promise is sacred to her. That is far from being selfish.

As for the masks, that is a different matter. I think she was ill-advised if only because it is a bad example to her subjects.

ReadyMeals Fri 16-Oct-20 14:20:51

Anniebach

The last Prince Regent was so because his father the King had
a mental illness, is age alone a reason to hand over ?

I don't think it would be age alone. In my opinion the Queen has accepted some poor advice, or allowed herself to be overruled in the past few months. 1) Signing off on illegal proroguing of parliament. 2) Allowing her staff to forbid her to meet Harry when he wanted to warn her about his move. 3) Having a totally maskless event which was a very important one as being her first outing, which also happened to be at a time when the public were most sensitive to the issue. 1 was definitely Boris, and 3 probably was. He's getting a bit desperate about Brexit and can see we need to suck up to Trump now. However I don't think Charles or William would have simply passively done as they were told. The monarch is supposed to be our final line of defence against government silliness.

aggie Fri 16-Oct-20 14:27:31

I thought that clip of ER was outside with a gazebo for the weather protection ?

Alexa Fri 16-Oct-20 14:29:49

I don't understand how the Queen was given such wrong advice by her PR advisor.

TheFrugalPiggy Fri 16-Oct-20 14:30:58

Maddyone you raise a very good point. DH and I were discussing this the other day. What on earth would happen if PP or the Queen died now? How on earth would their passing and funerals be dealt with? I have no desire to find out the answer. I'm not a royalist but I don't wish them I'll. It's just a very interesting thought.

Whingingmom Fri 16-Oct-20 14:33:06

Set a very poor example in my opinion.

suziewoozie Fri 16-Oct-20 14:39:51

Oops

‘They are advised not to wear seat belts in case they need to leap out if a Princess Anne moment arises or something similar’

Simply not true at all. And I doubt HM and PP could leap out of anything .

suziewoozie Fri 16-Oct-20 14:41:33

Ready and her advice/ chosen behaviour re Andrew leaves much to be desired.

ReadyMeals Fri 16-Oct-20 15:47:55

aggie

I thought that clip of ER was outside with a gazebo for the weather protection ?

This question came up when a covid law expert was on LBC. The answer turned out that any space with a roof on, including a gazebo, is to be dealt with as if indoors.

GrandmaMoira Fri 16-Oct-20 15:59:24

I normally support the Queen but do think it was wrong for people not to wear masks at this event. If there is a reason she cannot wear a mask, William and the other people there should have been wearing one.
I read that the Queen has returned to public engagements to show the public she is still there and life is carrying on as normal but, if she is breaking the rules we are expected to follow, it just makes things worse.
There is no reason for her to be carrying out public engagements during the pandemic. Everyone else is advised to work from home if possible and she should be included in this. The rest of the Royals can do the public events.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Oct-20 16:09:18

Erm, being an oldie like many, do you think she should have been out and about unnecessarily anyway, like many have been ?? --said with tongue in cheek seeing as quite a few have had breaks of sorts.

Is this what we can now expect ? Do as I say not as I do ?
Hypocritical ?

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 21:06:14

I assume the Queen had medical advice for her visit to Porton
Down

ReadyMeals Sat 17-Oct-20 10:47:14

Anniebach

I assume the Queen had medical advice for her visit to Porton
Down

Trump had medical advice too. But because he chose not to wear a mask, his staff and associates and supporters felt they couldn't either. Some of them got a lot sicker than he did. The fact that NO ONE at the Queen's outing was wearing a mask would seem to indicate that they all felt some pressure to support her in not wearing one. (stop eating when the queen has finished eating, don't wear a mask unless the queen is wearing one) and so on. As I have said before, the Queen is a special case and I'd have accepted her not wearing one provided most of the other people were wearing them!

Anniebach Sat 17-Oct-20 10:59:46

The Queen wasn’t with the public, Trump and his team went to a rally.

ReadyMeals Sat 17-Oct-20 11:06:29

Anniebach

The Queen wasn’t with the public, Trump and his team went to a rally.

So you think that entire entourage are going to self-isolate for 14 days before meeting anyone else? Do you wear a mask yourself? I am not sure whether you are defending this debacle because you are a royalist or whether you're an anti-mask sympathiser. Most of us can't think what was right about the event, for any reason from setting a bad example to concern about the risk to our dear monarch.