Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Day 1 in Tier 2 - what are your plans for the day?

(94 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 17-Oct-20 07:43:14

I'm determined to get off to a positive start! Yesterday for the first time in a long time I didn't go out - just faffed around and ate.

I'm off soon for a 60-minute brisk walk with my friend but due to the new rules won't be able to have our planned lunch.

What are you up to?

jocork Sat 17-Oct-20 12:08:02

I'm still in tier 1 so nothing's changed here. Having just become a granny I'd prepared myself mentally in case I couldn't visit but so far we've been ok. My son (the dad) has just started a new job in Germany and had to leave when his baby son was only 10 days old, but in 9 days time I'll be travelling out there with my DiL and the baby as she goes to join him. I just have to hope no travel restrictions are introduced before then!
I really feel for those who are restricted and prevented from seeing family. My daughter came to stay with me so we could go to visit and meet the baby together. She hadn't seen any family at all since last Christmas! We live so far apart it is always tricky to see each other around work commitments and now, just as I'm about to retire next week, more restrictions are coming. I just wish that more people would stick to the rules then maybe this would end for all of us.
I work in a secondary school and it's really hard when the students just don't take distancing seriously, or think that wearing a mask over mouth and chin but with nose out is somehow ok! One more week to go then retirement. Just trying to stay safe until then.

Nannan2 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:22:41

I think you are quite right Goergesgran, its because of some peoples attitude that in the north we are now tier 3- but it wont mean much difference to my household as we mostly stay in anyway as we are all vulnerable with underlying health issues- ive not seen AC /GC or any other nice thing like dining out or cinemas/pubs etc as it didnt seem worth the risk,nor have my 2 sons(21&17) and it turns out we were right! So no, no partying young folk here either! I fully support a whole country lock down (whole of britain really) and we really should not have come out of it so soon first time round- maybe things would have been a bit better (healthwise) by now if theyd waited? I dont go anywhere much except ive to get blood tests for warfarin so ive tried to make any urgent shops (cleaning/food items that cant get delivered etc) all in the one day- which is every 3-4 wks-ish.I certainly wouldnt risk it to go browse "just because i can" even when i could.Its all just madness how some of us are lockedown while others are carrying on like our old normal! - Lock down should be for all- or it will never go away!?

Bijou Sat 17-Oct-20 12:29:03

I am housebound anyway. Since March apart from my daily help I have only been out twice. My son, 72, who has been isolating and lives a four hour drive away has recently taken me for a drive and picnic in the car. He has worn a mask and there have been no hugs.

Nannan2 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:32:35

I also dont agree with all the travelling thats been allowed- so yes i hope there ARE travel restrictions soon too- it seemed a crazy idea to me that they should start allowing travel/flights again as they did- despite the ludicrous idea of 'air pockets'? The covid19 is just going to follow folk around the world/spread just in same way it began.so why start flying allover just like before??its all sheer bloody madness to carry on as usual.Economy isnt going to help folk when theres hardly anyone left to help, is it?

Nannan2 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:44:20

I agree Bikergran, about the gyms- it seems crazy- my 21yr old was a regular at local very small gym before lockdown in march- but when they eventually opened he didnt rush back- & after going only a few times and seeing how it was being used/cleaned(staff using same cloth to wipe quite a few machines) and some users not bothering to clean them themselves, before/after use- he decided not to take the risk.Hes now converted the garden shed(6x8mtrs) into his home gym at little cost-certainly not as expensive as a years gym membership!

Nannan2 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:57:32

I just find it suspicious that London/the south of the country is all tier 1 and it just so happens to be where most of the politicians/Royals/rich people are?plus most of shops/businesses etc/'high end shops' so it can keep economy/taxes going for a good bit and M.P.s can still go out or entertain etc?- so life not changed much for Mr Cummings etc then??

kircubbin2000 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:59:03

Hard to see the reasoning behind some of the rules. Son has had to cancel self catering break to cottage where they would have cooked own food, walked on beach or in forest and probably met no one.

MerylStreep Sat 17-Oct-20 13:04:42

MissFoodLove
Have you read this article?
www.itv.com/news/2020-07-28/where-have-all-the-cancer-patients-gone-oncologist-warns-delays-in-diagnoses-could-lead-to-thousands-of-needless-deaths

Alioop Sat 17-Oct-20 13:07:49

Well here in N.Ireland we are on the strictest, circuit breaker here, so hospitality closed last night at 6pm. My hairdresser sent me a message on Weds to see if I need in quick for an appointment as she also had to close up. Was at shops , which are still open( at min) at 8.30am this morning and back for 10am. Looks like the dog getting out a lot today....

Illte Sat 17-Oct-20 13:15:25

It was an interesting article Merylstreep until I got to the last bit where he's advocating evening and weekend shifts for staff who "must make an extra effort".

He's obviously been tucked away in his nice private clinic with his leisurely private appointments.

?

Annapops Sat 17-Oct-20 13:54:24

Really missing our trips into our beautiful city Georgesgran as we just don't feel safe wandering in those narrow streets at the moment. The last time we took the GC to the cathedral (before the students returned) was a nightmare. It's so sad for us and our student population that this was allowed to happen. In my opinion our students should never have been encouraged to return. Stay safe.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Oct-20 14:09:31

Nannan2

I just find it suspicious that London/the south of the country is all tier 1 and it just so happens to be where most of the politicians/Royals/rich people are?plus most of shops/businesses etc/'high end shops' so it can keep economy/taxes going for a good bit and M.P.s can still go out or entertain etc?- so life not changed much for Mr Cummings etc then??

London and Essex (apart from Thurrock and Southend) are Tier 2, from today.

aonk Sat 17-Oct-20 14:43:57

Yes London and Essex are in Tier 2 now. The number of cases in these 2 large areas varies a great deal. We’ve just got back from an M and S cafe where we sat at the next table to our DD and 2 GDs. It was a coincidence and a very happy one too! We’ll have it as a nice memory until we can do it legitimately.

Davida1968 Sat 17-Oct-20 17:16:40

In tier three here, so once the garden is put to bed, for DH & me it'll be local strolls, exercises at home, and catching up with hobbies & TV series. The excitement of our week might be lunch out at a (well-managed) local cafe. Just have to wait and see how it goes, and appreciate that we are retired, well, solvent, & that all our (far-flung) family are OK. Roll on 2021....

Chewbacca Sat 17-Oct-20 17:24:10

I had 2 birthdays to buy gifts for today and so drove to the next market town where there is a shop selling handmade chocolates. I stayed in the town and had lunch at a pavement cafe, did a bit more shopping and then drove to the supermarket to get everything I need for the family coming for Sunday lunch tomorrow. I could have done without the exhaust on my car falling off on the way home. ?

Missminnie23 Sat 17-Oct-20 17:30:09

"Jumping on and off buses" have to get 4 buses a day to get to work, some people have no choice. Not irresponsible but necessary.

vegansrock Sat 17-Oct-20 17:40:34

We are now in tier 2 even though our numbers are low, but are having 2 GC to stay at half term as their mum is having a cancer op and has to self isolate at home. I think that comes under the exemptions of essential childcare support for vulnerable person, but if anyone wants to report me go ahead, because there isn’t a choice here.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Oct-20 17:55:45

Well presumably it’s me who was called selfish because I had an indoor coffee today with my friend but in my neck of the woods it’s perfectly acceptable it hasn’t changed so no I m not selfish I am following the guidelines for my area.tier 1 We still have cafes and restaurants open we can still go on buses and the shop I volunteer in is still open to the public
Please don’t call me selfish I m doing what I m told to do

FlexibleFriend Sat 17-Oct-20 17:56:35

London is tier 2 and cases are rising steeply in our area, they were very low but in the space of a few weeks have rocketed. I'm pretty much housebound but have been going out by car quite a bit recently choosing things for my bathroom makeover. I'm always masked and stay well away from others apart from the one I'm with. So nothing really will change for me and I've only been out about 6 times since february. My son and dil and grandson all live with me so I'm not missing out at all. So in many ways I'm blessed.

seacliff Sat 17-Oct-20 18:08:17

We in Suffolk are still tier 1, and I met a friend in a little cafe yesterday, keeping a safe distance, as we are allowed to do. Only 2 tables taken, all very safe.

I have a big Birthday coming up at the end of the month but it will be a bit of a non event, like many others here. Before this latest lockdown, my sister and husband had offered to come and see us in a pub but left it to me to decide. I was going to suggest we meet half way, but feel it must be postponed now. I haven't seen her this year.

All my family are miles away, I do miss them and envy you who can see each other.

bikergran Sat 17-Oct-20 18:17:39

I can go to work in my supermarket mix with everyone.

But cant go and help my dd who is not well at the moment, is a single parent and has to look after 13 yr old and 5 yr old back no forth to school, two different schools. etc etc .

Riverwalk Sat 17-Oct-20 18:26:03

Biker essential childcare is allowed in all cases - plus are you not in a 'Bubble' with your DD?

bikergran Sat 17-Oct-20 18:42:57

Yes in bubble, but understood we cannot mix again , maybe I haven't read everything properly.confused

GrauntyHelen Sat 17-Oct-20 19:01:03

Biker gran you dear daughter and grandchildren are considered to be one household if you are bubbled

chrissyh Sat 17-Oct-20 19:09:52

My poor DGD has had to have all the plans cancelled for her 7th birthday this weekend, including her party on Saturday - she found out Friday after school as we only had our county upped to High. Fingers crossed for dry weather tomorrow as we are going to lunch in the garden. Thermal underwear at the ready.