Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Second national lockdown declared in France

(117 Posts)
MawB2 Wed 28-Oct-20 21:17:32

French President Emmanuel Macron has announced a second national lockdown for at least until the end of November. M. Macron said that under the new measures, starting on Friday, people would only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.

Sympathies to our fellow Grans and their families in France.
Keep safe, all!

biba70 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:35:04

thanks for the reminder- had a couple of frosts last week- time to go sloe picking for the sloe gin - no bergamots around here (well, the flowers, yes). Bought some Bergamot eau de toilet the other day, gorgeous.

MawB2 Sat 31-Oct-20 10:07:29

biba70

Callistemon

Bergamot essential oil is very useful and the essence is also used in perfumes.
I expect the marmalade is delicious.

Bergamot, to me, is a lovely perenial flower- and that is where the essential oil comes from. But never heard a the fruit.

I’m afraid not Biba . Oil of bergamot has nothing to do with the flower.
It is a citrus fruit, not unlike an orange in appearance.
Bergamot is a plant that produces a type of citrus fruit. Oil from the peel of the fruit, and extract from the fruit juice, are used to make medicine. Bergamot is used for high levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia).
I made a mean Bergamot and Bay gin as presents for the family last Christmas.

you surprise me if you have never heard of the fruit.

Callistemon Sat 31-Oct-20 10:16:28

no bergamots around here (well, the flowers, yes)
Nor here; they probably need a Mediterranean climate for fruit to be produced.

Isn't it the flavouring in Earl Grey tea?

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 10:21:14

Yes, the Earl Grey tea. H and I used to drink a lot of it.

Ellianne Sat 31-Oct-20 10:22:53

Yes Callistemon, I wondered that because I found several Early Grey gins with bergamot. Mainly made in Spain.

Callistemon Sat 31-Oct-20 10:23:36

Gin with bergamot, I must try that!

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 10:23:48

We also tried the Lapsang but weren't keen, it was like drinking kipper water grin smokey.

Ellianne Sat 31-Oct-20 11:18:39

Our signature Jynevra Gin is a punchy, juniper forward dry classic. Orange is the dominant citrus flavour, supported by bergamot. Best served with a quality tonic and a handful of freshly picked blueberries. ABV 40%.
I can't decide, might have to pop over there to taste!

MawB2 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:03:45

Easy enough to make yourself.

1 bergamot , and an orange, ideally Seville
1 x 75ml bottle of gin
2 fresh bay leaves
Sugar syrup, to taste
METHOD

 Scrub the fruit and peel off the zest in strips using a potato peeler (you’ll only need one strip from the orange). Slice off any white pith that is still attached to the zest, before putting it in a bottle with the gin and the bay leaves. Replace the cap and leave for a week or so before tasting to see if it’s ready – it might need longer maceration. (I left for a month)
When the flavour suits you, decant the gin out of the bottle and into a fresh bottle, leaving behind the zest and bay leaves. Taste it and add sugar syrup if you like.
I put one bay leaf and a twist of peel in the bottle as “decoration”
Cheers!

Callistemon Sat 31-Oct-20 15:40:00

It sounds good!
Now, to find some bergamots!

Tesco:
Nordic Spirit bergamot nicotine pouches provide a full-strength nicotine experience that's 100% tobacco-free.

Not quite what I was looking for

Callistemon Sat 31-Oct-20 15:42:59

Waitrose
2 x Unwaxed bergamots £1.99
sorry this item is not available

MawB2 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:15:33

I got mine last year from Ocado but if they are seasonal like Seville oranges, maybe try again in a couple of weeks?

Urmstongran Sat 31-Oct-20 16:23:06

MawB2

Easy enough to make yourself.

1 bergamot , and an orange, ideally Seville
1 x 75ml bottle of gin
2 fresh bay leaves
Sugar syrup, to taste
METHOD

 Scrub the fruit and peel off the zest in strips using a potato peeler (you’ll only need one strip from the orange). Slice off any white pith that is still attached to the zest, before putting it in a bottle with the gin and the bay leaves. Replace the cap and leave for a week or so before tasting to see if it’s ready – it might need longer maceration. (I left for a month)
When the flavour suits you, decant the gin out of the bottle and into a fresh bottle, leaving behind the zest and bay leaves. Taste it and add sugar syrup if you like.
I put one bay leaf and a twist of peel in the bottle as “decoration”
Cheers!

Pour one for me please Maw I’m on my way!
??

Kalu Sat 31-Oct-20 17:01:02

The wild bergamot mentioned bybiba grew profusely in our area of southern Provence. The dried leaves made a pleasant tisane.

My stash of bergamot oranges was kindly given by our neighbour from one of his many bergamot trees and précise instructions for his personal recipe to make bergamot gin and yet more instructions should I want to extract the oils.

Kalu Sat 31-Oct-20 17:12:16

Should have mentioned.
Wild bergamot is a flowering shrub, no fruit.

mokryna Sat 31-Oct-20 20:29:18

Alegrias2

I can't imagine the French people I know agreeing to wear a mask in their own homes. I'm not sure I would either - a step too far.

I hope everything goes OK for you in France TwinLolly, stay safe!

Well a few days ago, before this second lockdown, I needed help on my computer and not only did my DSIN come but also my DD plus my two teenage DGDs. Without asking anything they all walked in, washed hands straight away and sat down with their masks on. I did offer tea but they said that they had just had some. They stayed the time necessary for the computer to work and then left, trying not touching anything. It certainly wasn’t how we usually interact but under the circumstances at the moment something is better than nothing. Respect for my health.