Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Test and Trace

(34 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 07:43:58

This is our only life line until a suitable vaccine is found, and even after it may be necessary.

The current contract should be immediately suspended and the whole thing given over to those with experience, like local authorities along with the NHS.

Alegrias2 Fri 30-Oct-20 09:52:47

Sorry, I really don't want to be rude to anyone, but Summerlove, can you not see how that sounds? It seems like you're happy for the rest of us to take the risks so that you'll be fine. Even if you think that why would you put it on a public forum?

BTW, its based on completely erroneous thinking, but I'm not getting into that again.

allium Fri 30-Oct-20 10:09:03

I wonder if they will release any of the trials data on these new vaccines?

Summerlove Fri 30-Oct-20 11:15:54

Alegrias2

Sorry, I really don't want to be rude to anyone, but Summerlove, can you not see how that sounds? It seems like you're happy for the rest of us to take the risks so that you'll be fine. Even if you think that why would you put it on a public forum?

BTW, its based on completely erroneous thinking, but I'm not getting into that again.

Vaccinations are a choice. If you choose to take a vaccine In the first few runs of it without knowing side effects, that’s your choice.

My preference is that they don’t rush it through to get it out. I’d rather wait.

People sign up to early trials often. They make a choice to do so. Others wait. Also a valid choice.

Nothing to do with being happy to let others take risks, I’d rather they wouldn’t! But I can’t stop them.

I am very pro vaccine, but I feel in this case too many are waiting on a magic pill that likely won’t work. The risks seem too great.

In the event I’m wrong, I’ll be the one missing out by still not seeing family and friends and being more careful in public.

Alegrias2 Fri 30-Oct-20 11:36:30

There are a lot of misconceptions around the vaccine research for Covid. That its being rushed through. That if you don't have the vaccine, only you are affected. That anything short of instant lifelong immunity to COVID means that the vaccine doesn't work.

But yes, always your choice.

Summerlove Fri 30-Oct-20 12:24:02

I understand how vaccines work, and I have read into how the Covid vaccine is working and about herd immunity. I just happen to disagree with you on this one.

Please don’t be patronising and assume that I don’t know what I am talking about.

As I said, I am the one who would continue having to be careful and not being out in public relying on other peoples vaccines to protect me.

GillT57 Fri 30-Oct-20 12:31:45

As we all talk about billions of pounds, I wonder how many of us realise just what an enormous number a billion is?

If someone gave me £1m to spend at the rate of £1000 per day, it would take 3 years to spend it all.

If someone gave me £1bn to spend at the rate of £1000 per day, it would take 2740 years.

Just let the enormity of the numbers sink in and then ask where it has all gone.

Even my Brexiteer MP has been sending out emails telling us that he is very unhappy with the way track and trace is being run, and that he is pushing for a change at the top. Crikey, for once I shall have to send him a congratulatory email!!

Alegrias2 Fri 30-Oct-20 12:48:03

Summerlove I'm sorry if I have been patronising. But anyone who says that the vaccine is being rushed through to get it out is just plain wrong. Opinion doesn't come into it.

I'll not say any more because this is a very important issue to me and you are right, we won't agree.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:30:49

Sir David King - The government Must now take trace and test away from the failing company and give it to the experts in LAs and NHS.