Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

End of the lockdown.

(89 Posts)
bonfirebirthday Sat 14-Nov-20 18:29:27

In an interview on the Today programme, 14/11, Prof. Susan Michie of SAGE announced that the next 2 weeks are crucial in ensuring the lockdown ends on 2 December as planned. We must all comply with the rules. This is an article in The Guardian. Another SAGE adviser stated the Tier system is unworkable. I cannot recall where I read this. This sounds somewhat ominous. Any thoughts on the matter?

GrandmaKT Sat 14-Nov-20 19:49:16

A bit disheartened seeing the demonstrations in Liverpool and Bristol today. Whether people agree with the lockdown or not could they not just give it a go for 4 weeks in the hope that it's effective?

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 20:12:52

It's not going to work when you have idiots thinking they can do as they like without thought for others. Complete morons !

Babs758 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:38:57

I was saddened by the news from Germany that strict rules there will apply for a further 4-5 months. On the plus side, my rather depressed Hubby has cheered up at the thought of a vaccine. We are in our early 60s so will have to wait a while.

Septimia Sun 15-Nov-20 15:53:58

Apparently, Prof Ugur Sahin, BioNTech co-founder, believes that a combination of the vaccine and the lower rate of transmission in the summer months should mean that we are back to normal by this time next year (BBC news website).

I know that seems a long time but, if that's true, things will gradually improve as the vaccine is distributed and the summer progresses.

BlueBelle Sun 15-Nov-20 16:32:27

Lockdowns don’t work it’s like successfully hiding from a big snarling dog and then after hours you quietly venture out and it grabs you

petra Sun 15-Nov-20 19:58:40

I know I've posted this before but i think it's worth repeating.
From Sir Jeramy Farrar. Advisor to SAGE and head of the Wellcome Trust.
The virus, in my view is now part of humanity. It is an endemic infection now

Eviebeanz Sun 15-Nov-20 20:00:40

Agree with BlueBelle

Eviebeanz Sun 15-Nov-20 20:04:45

Need some realistic plans in place for when lockdown ends to stop cases rising quickly again.

EllanVannin Sun 15-Nov-20 20:11:20

People will be falling over each other to get their Christmas shopping done------meaning that there'll be some sick people over Christmas and so it'll continue into next year. Madness !

JenniferEccles Sun 15-Nov-20 22:42:56

Extending this lockdown would be disastrous and I am sure the PM is aware of that.

I expect that we will be put back into the tiered system which is surely a less damaging way of attempting to control the spread rather than the blunt tool of a national lockdown.

A nurse from Trelisk hospital, Truro pointed out how ludicrous it was that Cornwall, despite having just 3 cases of Covid, was flung into lockdown with the rest of the country.

I wish the PM had followed his own instincts instead of listening to the prophets of doom and their ridiculously exaggerated projections.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 16-Nov-20 00:46:34

JenniferEccles

Extending this lockdown would be disastrous and I am sure the PM is aware of that.

I expect that we will be put back into the tiered system which is surely a less damaging way of attempting to control the spread rather than the blunt tool of a national lockdown.

A nurse from Trelisk hospital, Truro pointed out how ludicrous it was that Cornwall, despite having just 3 cases of Covid, was flung into lockdown with the rest of the country.

I wish the PM had followed his own instincts instead of listening to the prophets of doom and their ridiculously exaggerated projections.

Cornwall hasn't just had 3 cases of Covid. JenniferEccles - I too live in Cornwall.

As reported in last few days: The boss of Cornwall’s hospitals has confirmed that there are currently seven coronavirus patients in Royal Cornwall Hospital with three in intensive care. There are 15 intensive care beds there!

Cornwall has had an 45% increase in cases over the past few days and it's expected to keep rising at that rate.

There have been 95 hospital deaths (Covid) at Trelisk (Royal Cornwall Hospital).

If we weren't in lockdown, what would the figures be like? I am glad it was a lockdown for all England but really doubt Cornwall is 100% behind the lockdown restrictions.

Calendargirl Mon 16-Nov-20 06:54:39

Hull has the highest rate in the country, and the hospital there is struggling to cope.

That area was low in the first wave, I think inevitably that makes the public complacent.

Sparkling Mon 16-Nov-20 06:57:55

A vaccine is in sight, more important than ever to stay home if you don't have to work, it won't be too long now.

M0nica Mon 16-Nov-20 08:13:17

Cornwall: 403 cases in the past week. Up 106 from previous week

Official government statistics.

Sparklefizz Mon 16-Nov-20 10:07:34

BlueBelle

Lockdowns don’t work it’s like successfully hiding from a big snarling dog and then after hours you quietly venture out and it grabs you

I disagree, BlueBelle. Lockdowns do work as shown in the first lockdown and also in Europe.

Of course they only work if people comply, which many have not during this latest lockdown, but using your analogy virus=big snarling dog ..... then when you "quietly venture out", as you say, the virus will =tiny timid dog, and you are less likely to be grabbed.

polnan Mon 16-Nov-20 10:09:31

my opinion?

well lockdown or not

whilst people are still travelling it will spread,, close borders even town borders? not practical? dunno

I just know that whilst people are travelling from one place to another the virus will spread...

25Avalon Mon 16-Nov-20 10:11:52

The South West is being hit badly now. Increased cases in most of Somerset. South Gloucestershire very high and Bristol now in the worst affected areas of the country. Figures higher than for South East. We all need to stay home. It isn’t for long for goodness sake. Protests in Bristol that it’s all a conspiracy. Madness.

Theoddbird Mon 16-Nov-20 10:18:21

If people had done as they were told in the last lockdown we probably wouldn't be in this situation now. People should not moan...everyone is responsible.

Moggycuddler Mon 16-Nov-20 10:21:01

Can't see how it will ever end while stupid people are still ignoring rules. It will continuously come and go in waves.

Gwyneth Mon 16-Nov-20 10:21:06

It really does hinge on people following the rules and I am worried that people will definitely not follow the rules at Christmas and leading up to Christmas. The chances are we will have another rise in infections over the Christmas holiday and in January. Why can’t people stick to the rules to help everyone? It’s so selfish. No doubt people who go on demonstrations etc will expect treatment from the NHS if they get Covid.

25Avalon Mon 16-Nov-20 10:24:53

The waves follow from people having rave up parties the night before lockdown. Have they no brains. Why do they think we have lockdowns?

sandelf Mon 16-Nov-20 10:26:51

Here is the interactive map. Scroll in and click on an area - actual numbers come up. Areas in white have few enough cases that details are not given to avoid identification of individuals. Almost nowhere has no cases. Until vaccines have been given we must stay cautious. coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

FlotheCrow Mon 16-Nov-20 10:30:08

Personally I don't believe that lockdown has been the answer. It has done more harm than good.

Rufus2 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:32:42

Good Evening: Melbourne has a population of about 5 million with about 1.6 million spread across regional Victoria.
Since March we have had lockdowns of various degrees of severity and even an 8pm to 5am curfew.
Face-masks have been compulsory throughout.

Nett result? We have had no new Covid related cases and no deaths for almost 21 days.
Whilst we have our share of Covidiots, everybody realises the importance of supporting the health authorities and the campaign has proved to be very effective.
But it's not over yet!
Cheers