Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Cabinet Infighting

(28 Posts)
Curlygirl Sun 15-Nov-20 20:40:10

Sorry but really can’t be bothered with this. Over half a million lives lost in UK dur to pandemic yet the Government seem more concerned with petty bickering among themselves. Surely they should be focussing on how to make sure the vaccine can be administered properly and how we are going to come out of lockdown, Just grow up and do the jobs you are being paid to do.

JenniferEccles Mon 16-Nov-20 23:09:43

I didn’t think it was rude Alegrias2 but the fact remains that scientists have varied widely in their estimations of possible deaths and the PM has chosen to follow the more extreme predictions to justify this latest lockdown.

Of course the decision was rushed after the leak to the Press gave Boris very little time to consider his options.

Alegrias2 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:07:26

I'm glad I didn't offend JenniferEccles.

I agree with your assessment about scientists having very different estimates, but it was the word "inaccurate" that I would take issue with. Scientists use different models to try to predict what is going to happen. They may or may not turn out to be correct, but "inaccurate" suggests sloppiness or lack of expertise, and I don't believe that's the case.

I do believe that they - government and scientists - are using the worst case figures to frighten us into complying. It worked with the first lockdown, but is probably working less well now.