Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Cabinet Infighting

(27 Posts)
Curlygirl Sun 15-Nov-20 20:40:10

Sorry but really can’t be bothered with this. Over half a million lives lost in UK dur to pandemic yet the Government seem more concerned with petty bickering among themselves. Surely they should be focussing on how to make sure the vaccine can be administered properly and how we are going to come out of lockdown, Just grow up and do the jobs you are being paid to do.

Oldbat1 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:52:32

News just given. Boris Johnson is having to self isolate after contact with a member of staff who has tested positive.

kittylester Sun 15-Nov-20 20:59:21

Apparently, it was an MP.

Ramblingrose22 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:00:20

Do you mean the in-fighting in No.10 Curlygirl?

There may well be in-fighting in the Cabinet too but the latest shenanigans we are hearing about is about the sacking of one person (Lee Cain) which led to his mate Dominic Cummings threatening to go and then being photographed leaving No.10 on Friday evening.

I'm afraid that there are a lot of big egos at work here. Some of the advisers appointed by the PM probably thought that they could control him and everything he does because that is what they had been allowed to do for so long.

Even if the deckchairs in No.10 are re-shuffled I doubt if it will result in any noticeable changes in policy direction. And judging by their failure so far to make timely decisions about controlling the virus I don't expect a sudden improvement in this Government's ability to administer the delivery of the vaccine either.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:02:10

Which MP has covid?

lemongrove Sun 15-Nov-20 21:03:40

It was an MP not a member of staff.The news says he was contacted by test and trace so will self isolate but keep working at home in Downing St.

To the OP.... Work is still being done on the Covid front, despite Cummings and Cain leaving, there should be no effect on anything to do with the vaccine because of that.

lemongrove Sun 15-Nov-20 21:04:08

The Ashfield MP.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:05:32

Hope the MP isn’t too bad.

Alegrias2 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:05:44

The government may be incompetent but even so they are not presiding over half a million deaths. 50,000 is the number.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:06:25

There is a Labour MP in hospital with covid pneumonia.

Vaccine can’t come quick enough!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:24:39

Doesn’t immunity exclude you?

I suppose you could be immune but still a carrier?

Anyone know?

quizqueen Sun 15-Nov-20 21:31:02

I don't think 500,000+ have died in the UK because of covid!!!!

grumppa Sun 15-Nov-20 21:33:22

Boris is self-isolating, not yet infected as far as we know. It will be interesting to see whether he catches it again or has acquired immunity. He’s probably more use as a test case than as a PM.

kittylester Sun 15-Nov-20 21:45:02

The scientists haven't definitively said how long immunity last. There was talk of 5 month, which is maybe how long ago Boris had it.

Magsymoo Sun 15-Nov-20 21:50:25

How convenient for Johnson. It means he doesn't have to face MP's in the House next week nor Keir Starmer at PMQ's.

ayse Sun 15-Nov-20 21:51:02

I just wonder if he is ducking out ‘cos he can’t find a fridge?

Luckygirl Sun 15-Nov-20 21:52:43

I agree that this self-isolation could not have come at a better time for Johnson.

MayBee70 Sun 15-Nov-20 22:09:50

I had to laugh at a comment on another forum I frequent. There was a poll asking if people would be happy to have the Pfizer vaccine and someone said they were more than happy to sign up for the Pfizer jab but, as Matt Hancock was going to be in charge he would probably be offered a pizza job and that wouldn’t be for several years.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 22:28:06

Oldbat1

News just given. Boris Johnson is having to self isolate after contact with a member of staff who has tested positive.

Interesting.
If someone has had COVID do they then have to self-isolate if they have been in contact with someone who has it?

Are there any virologists on here?

Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 22:31:01

I expect there's plenty for Boris to be getting on with in isolation. After lots of other people are working from home via Zoom etc

JenniferEccles Sun 15-Nov-20 23:35:18

quizqueen interesting that it went unnoticed!

Alegrias2 Sun 15-Nov-20 23:44:36

JenniferEccles

quizqueen interesting that it went unnoticed!

My post 21:05. I noticed.

Are my posts invisible? grin

JenniferEccles Mon 16-Nov-20 10:03:43

Sorry Alegrias2 ! So you did. And you were the first to comment!!

The trouble is there are so many wildly inaccurate figures/predictions/guesstimates going on even from the scientists aren’t there?

Alegrias2 Mon 16-Nov-20 11:38:11

They don't call me Eagle Eye for nothing grin

Hmmm - seeing as you ask me the question JE, no, I don't think there are so many wildly inaccurate figures around smile. I think people aren't generally able to make educated assessments of what they are being told.

(Tin hat on)

Alegrias2 Mon 16-Nov-20 13:05:55

I thought about asking to have my last post deleted as its rude and I didn't mean it to be. What I meant is that people who are not used to getting bombarded with figures do not have the experience to assess them. A person can be very well educated, clever, but just not equipped to make head or tail of the stats.

I've got to say, Boris comes to mind!

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.